The Last Movie You Watched?

Red dawn is a gulity pleasure of mine, remember that I grew up in Cold a War environment in a very politized country, film like this (and others even more ionnocuous like Bluethunder, Rocky IV or the famous Yves Montad documentary) were often critized to say the least by the then popular left wing movements and inteligenzia in general, so we just had to like this stuff a lot, and Red Dawn was a personel favourite, Spetsnaz para-troopers destroying highschool, and then revenge, how cool can it be.

Actually the film is based in some Army secret memoradum (well almost secret), of what could happen if the US were indeed invaded.

“Invasion U.S.A” with Chuck Norris has the same theme as “Red Dawn”, but is superior IMO.
My avatar is from that film.

No British or European comics mentioned I see :(. Some of you should check out Pat Mill’s Charly’s War - comics don’t get much better than that.

Well, I’m British, but we simply don’t produce enough high quality comics in comparison to the Americans or the Japanese to really deserve to place in my recommendations. Also, most of what we do produce is just dumb fun, and not what I would seriously recommend to anyone who’s got past the adolescence stage. I know that’s harsh, but it’s also realistic.

If it’s any consolation, three of the five writers I recommended (Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison and Mark Miller) are all British. We export a lot of our talent, of which we have plenty, to the bigger American market.

Well Hugo Pratt and Enki Bilal are pretty much European

Some great comics:

Hugo Pratt - Corto Maltese (and other stuff of him)
Daniel Clowes - Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron
Moebius - Le garage hermetique
Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez - Love and Rockets
Dave Sim - Cerebus
Alan Moore - (nearly everything he ever did)
Frank Miller - Elektra Assassin
Ronin
Vittorio Giardino - Max Friedmann
Jacques Loustal
Charles Burns - Black Hole
David Lapham - Stray Bullets
Mathias Schultheis - Die Wahrheit über Shelby
Guido Crepax
Neil Gaiman - Sandman

and there will be more if I think about it a few min longer …

And Comanche by Hermann and Greg is an excellent Western which probably tops every US Western comic.

Manara

[url]http://img33.imageshack.us/i/brigittebardottabletop.jpg/[/url] [size=12pt]Et Dieu… créa la Femme[/size] (1956, Roger Vadim)

Writing about Jean-Louis Trintignant, I realized I had never seen this movie, so I filled this cultural gap last night. It turned out that even if you haven’t seen the movie, you’re familiar with its imagery.

The film provoked a scandal when first released and therefore was a smash hit. It also established Brigitte Bardot as a sex symbol, Trintignant as a promising young actor, and St. Tropez as a fashionable seaside resort, the place to be at the French Rivièra.

The film can’t fulfill any of these expectations: Bardot sure was a beauty and a cuty at the age of 21, but the movies’ infamous press photos are far more revealing than any of the scenes in the movie, St. Tropez is no more than a village (it doesn’t even have a decent beach), and the movie is a tedious melodrama, which gives Trintignant no chance to show what he’s capable of.

My advice: Watch a few highlights on You Tube and don’t waste your time with the entire movie.

[quote=“El Topo, post:3543, topic:1923”]Manara[/quote]what’s that?

“Backwoods” with Gary Oldman. very, very poor supposedly Spanish “horror” film. 3/10

Milo Manara

[quote=“El Topo, post:3548, topic:1923”]Milo Manara[/quote]argh, I thought that was the title of the movie.

Of course I know Manara’s stuff. I own a dozen of his comic books.

Watched Red Queen Kills 7 Times last night. Very entertaining giallo :slight_smile:

Was awake at stupid o’clock this morning and had time for a double bill before breakfast.
Started off with Peeping Tom (Powell/1960). What a magnificently crafted piece of cinema. To think that this film destroyed Powell’s career is an enormous tragedy I believe. It is so well written and constructed and leaves you with a lastinng sense of eeriness while also raising all sorts of interesting questions. More a psycho thriller than a horror but, as in many great horror stories, you find yourself feeling sorry for the ‘monster’. I don’t bandy the word masterpiece about lightly but I genuinely believe this film is one. Terrific stuff. If you haven’t already seen this film rectify the situation immediately.

By the second feature my 15 year old had got up so chose something a bit more light weight while hanging on to the macabre theme. We plumped for The Uncanny (Heroux/1977), mainly because my daughter is fond of Peter Cushing (as am I) but also because we thought an anthology film would make a nice change. This is not the best of this type but fitted the bill none the less. Cushing isn’t on screen so much but I got Susan Penhaligon thrown in as a bonus and Donald Pleasance is always good value so there was plenty to keep us happy without it ever threatening to genuinely impress. Especially after the power house of Peeping Tom. This one is also unusual as British / French Canadian co production and was shot in both the UK and Montreal. Anyhow, an OK time filler but if you had to see only one of these two there would be only one choice really.

moment to kill from wild east very horible transfer!!! masterpiece movie but crap picture

I still haven’t seen Peeping Tom (it’s on my Christmas list)

For me Peeping Tom stll is this great, post-Radiohead, near-classic by Placebo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inoG3aSBPxQ

I am very, very ill at the moment with some kind of horrible flu. However, I managed to recently watch the classic Point Blank and also Death Walks on High Heels.

Death Walks… was good, but I was a bit disappointed, as I was hoping Nieves Navarro would act as protagonist. She seemed so sexy, smart and confident. I loved the role reversal in her earning money easily and taking care of boyfriend while he was looking for a job.

I’m up to the middle of the 2nd series of Twin Peaks, and I finally watched Eraserhead.

Commando Leopard (Dir: Antonio Margheriti/1984)

It’s one of several Action Movies Lewis Collins did with Antonio Margheriti in the 1980’s. Lewis Collins had some fame cause of the British Action Crime TV Show The Professionals. This time he is El Leopardo the Leader of Guerilleros in a fictional Latin American State. His opponent is the bad mad chief (Klaus Kinski) of the militia. The plot seems to be an excuse for decent action scenes. Of course there are a lot of explosions and shoot outs. Interestingly Ennio Morricone contributes the score with synthesizer music. In the final credits a terrible song In the War can be heard.
Overall Commando Leopard is an OK Action Flick with some nice detailed special effects.