The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

Binged on Dune this week.

My son had been badgering me to watch the new films so watched Dune 1 on Netflix then went to the cinema on Friday night to catch Dune 2. I must say, I really enjoyed both of them and think they got the balance right between space politics, hero quest and personal relationships with a nice healthy chunk of action and bloodletting.

So once I’d got fully in the zone I decided to rewatch David Lynch’s original Dune from 1984. A film I had almost no memory of and perhaps had only seen part of. It wasn’t so bad but suffers from the restrictions of its time in terms of special effects. Not so much the mechanical and model stuff which I think still holds up. More the computer generated stuff, back projection and blue screening. Also the amount of desert scenes which were clearly shot in the studio when they needed have the scope of the outdoors. It was ok but the current remakes are much better I think. And I don’t say that very often.

2 Likes

Oh, forgot to mention, was surprised to see Paul Smith of Carambola fame/notoriety in a prominent role as the Raban, one the Haarkonen bad guys in Lynch’s Dune.

5 Likes

:rofl:

You know you’re on your way as an actor when a part like that is offered!

1 Like

With the wife spending the nigh at her mother’s, I decided tonight was a lovely time for a triple feature.

I know some people aren’t particularly fond of this movie but I absolutely love it and consider it to be a classic. And, the more I watch it, the more I am convinced that this could indeed be our future as we seem to be speeding toward that undesirable destination at a faster pace every day.

Jonathan: “It’s like people had a choice a long time ago between having all of them nice things or freedom. Of course, they chose comfort.”

A West German Gothic horror film from 1967 directed by Harald Reinl. I must admit that I watched this one strictly out of curiosity as the only films I had seen of Reinl’s prior were his westerns. Reinl brought along his regular entourage of western actors for this film, which includes Lex Barker, Karin Dor, and Vladamir Medar, and then topped it off with the great Christopher Lee. I think die hard Gothic horror fans, of which I am one, might find this one interesting but I don’t know if it has much appeal for anyone else.

I concluded the evening with a bit of classic Hammer which reunited me once more with Christopher Lee. I had forgotten that this one starred Hazel Court who I just happened to see in an old episode of Rawhide just this morning.

All in all, a quite enjoyable evening.

7 Likes

An excellent selection of films there, Brian.

My favourite of the three has to be ‘Rollerball’, and is a fitting tribute to the director, Norman Jewison, who died not too long ago.

The line you quoted from the film is definitely one that never ages, and has become, I also believe, more pertinent than ever today…
In short - society, (and the corporation), will not tolerate individual thought…

2 Likes

‘SATURDAY NIGHT IS HORROR NIGHT…’ :scream: :man_vampire: :man_zombie:

This week…Universal, Hammer, and Tobe Hooper…

5 Likes
  1. Franco: Shining Sex 6/10
  2. Chrzu: Carlotta Moore and Me 6/10
  3. Star Trek: Wrath of Khan 7/10
  4. Weeks: I, Monster 5/10
  5. Lynch: Lost Highway 9/10
  6. Sirk: A Time to Love and a Time to Die 7/10
  7. Miller: Lonely are the Brave 7/10
  8. McCarey: Duck Soup 10/10
  9. Villeneuve: Dune 7/10
  10. Condon: Mr. Holmes 5/10
3 Likes

Kicked off my journey through 1947 with a couple of very good westerns and a couple of Bogie outings.

Ramrod (De Toth) 7/10
Pursued (Walsh) 8/10

Dead Reckoning (Cromwell) 7/10
Dark Passage (Daves) 7/10

All of these could fall into the Film Noir bracket, even the westerns (especially Pursued).
And all of them are still very watchable. Dark Passage has the gimmick of using POV for the first half of the film and keeping Bogart’s face hidden from clear view for the first hour of the picture but it loses it’s way by the ensd a little I think. The westerns are both very good and show how that genre was really starting to find its feet as an adult medium by the second half of the forties. It would only get stronger from here on while the whole Noir thing would do the same over the next few years. I’ve got a bunch more Noirs to watch for this year so looking forward to those.

2 Likes

Watched this for the first time last night … wasn’t quite sure what to expect, which is a good thing … I don’t want to say too much, as saying almost anything may constitute a ‘Spoiler’

… just that, Angela Pleasence is mesmerising.

I’d highly recommend this as a unique thought provoking piece of cinema.

5 Likes

I just got done watching “evil bong” (2006) for 4/20 this year! I watched it completely sober this afternoon and its about what you would expect from it! A train wreck but i kinda enjoyed it lol
happy 4/20!

1 Like

‘SATURDAY NIGHT IS HORROR NIGHT…’ :scream: :man_vampire: :man_zombie:

3 Likes

Agree.
And Angela Pleasance is so good. I must get it out for a rewatch soon.

3 Likes

I’ll have to say that you and @Phil_H now have my curiosity piqued about this one. I have added to the list.

1 Like

I hope you’re still speaking to us after you watch it!

:wink:

… it’s a slow burner, as they say … but stays with you afterwards - I was impressed.

1 Like

My next 3 films from 1947 were all British and made by Ealing Studios.

It Always Rains on Sundays (Hamer) 8/10
Hue & Cry ( Crichton) 7/10
Frieda (Dearden) 8/10

Ealing had made good films before this but I think 1947 was a watershed year for them and started a solid decade of excellent productions that made the reputation they are still remembered for. Hue & Cry is often cited as the first of the famous Ealing Comedies although I’m not so sure about that. It feels more like a Children’s Film Foundation film really but that is no bad thing for me. I love CFF films. What it does really well I think is show a snapshot of post war London as it really was. As does It Always Rains on Sunday. These are historical documents as much as anything else but IAROS is also a really well observed drama. Frieda is another drama but this one deals with a very topical subject of the time (and maybe all time really); how does a community respond to a person from a former enemy and do they judge all the same or give the benefit of the doubt to individuals. All handled really well and would have been a hot topic of the time. Three excellent films for one small studio to produce at all but all in one year is remarkable really.

2 Likes

I had the opportunity to see Way of the Dragon on the big screen quite recently. Fantastic stuff!

2 Likes

Good for you, amigo. :+1:
I hope it was the uncut version, with all the nunchaku scenes reinstated… :grin:

Watched my first Chuck Norris movie: Lone Wolf McQuade.
Prime has gotten some 80’s movies on their site and this one looked interesting. On IMDB there is a lot about hommage to Leone but that was something I did not see in this movie.
Fun entertainment with a great score by Francesco De Masi. What else to expect from such a movie.

Now sterted with Delta Force 1, the last movie of Lee Marvin. The first half hour is not very entertaining. Hope i can get myself to finish it.

3 Likes

Couple of nights ago: Civil War (Garland, 2024)

In an alternate reality, civil war has been raging in the US for an unspecified amount of time, and the allied Western Forces of Texas and California are closing in on D.C. where the three-term President (Nick Offerman) is hunkered down, issuing increasingly deluded addresses about winning the war, even as the secessionists converge upon Washington. Long declared enemies of the people, the free press are frequently shot on sight in the nation’s capital and, as an intended consequence, the President hasn’t been interviewed or called to account in years. However, with the end approaching for him, a veteran duo for Reuters - journalist Joel (Wagner Moura) and lauded war photographer Lee (Kirsten Dunst) intend to take a long, looping route west from New York around the impassable Pennsylvania and then into DC from the south through the Virginia’s in order to do just that: Get some sort of final word from the President, on how it all came to this.

Along with them on this journey goes Sammy (Stephen McKinley), an aged and overweight but deeply experienced journalist for “what remains of the New York Times”, and Jessie (Cailee Spaeny), a naive aspiring photojournalist from the farmlands of Missouri, largely untouched by the horrors of the war.

With our little team in place and their destination clear, so begins an episodic road movie documenting their increasingly surreal and life-threatening experience as they race to reach the White House and the President before the Western Forces who will surely execute him on sight. Along the way they will encounter boorish militias proudly showing off their captives like hunting trophies, pinned-down snipers duelling without knowing who their opponent is, loyalist soldiers being executed, and worse (that coming courtesy of Ms Dunst’s real-life husband Jesse Plemons with another terrifying and unhinged maniac to add to his already impressive repertoire).

So is Civil War a cautionary tale for a nation currently perilously close to the edge of a reckoning? Well, yes and no. It’s impossible to look at scenes of the United States of America as a smoking, burning war zone and not think about the violent rhetoric being used by Trump and his acolytes, and wonder how close we might be to seeing these scenes on the news instead of at the cinema. At the same time, whilst our protagonists are faced with the consequences of the war, the war itself - its cause, its beginnings, its why’s and wherefores - are very much in the background. Writer/director Alex Garland remains largely vague about exactly who are the “good” guys and who are the “bad”, beyond some insinuation that the incumbent President is an authoritarian who may have earned what he has wrought; and of course it’s no coincidence that he’s put the states of Texas and California in tandem rather than in stark opposition, to head off any idea that the circumstances surrounding his war might be couched in current realities.

But it’s really less about the war itself and more about the effect it’s having on those living within the war, particularly our quartet of intrepid and dedicated reporters. Is their journalistic integrity better served by documenting everything at any cost, or at some point do they - and we - need to pick a side?

Civil War is slower and more thoughtful than I thought it was going to be going in but, whilst there are plenty of contemplative sojourns, the movie is too tense and taut to ever feel slow. With a cast on top form and a cracking soundtrack utilising Silver Apples, Suicide and De La Soul to equally brilliant and disconcerting effect, this is an easy - if powerful and sometimes troubling - movie to recommend.

3 Likes

Specifically, what violent rhetoric are you talking about? Could you provide specific examples? I think the better thing to do though is to take a look not at rhetoric but at all the violent actions of Trump’s supporters. So, let’s begin by looking at all those students running around our college campuses right now assaulting fellow students who are Jewish and calling for “death to Jews”. Oh wait! That would be the Democratic party’s “acolytes”. Sorry. Or maybe we can talk about those “peaceful protestors” that set the city of Minneapolis on fire. No, that can’t be the case because those people had their legal fees paid for by a charity fund set up by vice-president Kamala Harris. Or maybe you are referring to Antifa who loves to cowardly mask themselves up and assault citizens randomly on the street. No, once more that would be the responsibility of the left. Seldom a day goes by in this country anymore that there isn’t some sort of atrocity perpetuated by those swearing allegiance to the left. But, at least they back up their “rhetoric”.

Then on a separate front, we have a border that our current president announced was wide open the day he came into office. Now, we have unmitigated chaos at that border and cities forced to close schools and even nursing homes (New York and Chicago) to deal with the influx of new immigrants. It’s okay though because the left assures us that we need these people to do the jobs Americans won’t. Funny, but this is the exact same argument Democrats used 160 years ago in the Civil War to justify slavery.

What is happening in actuality though is that manufacturers are closing plants (Tyson for instance) and laying off employees that have worked there for decades so that they can hire the immigrants to work in brand new plants for half the cost.

Look, I despise both sides of the aisle and feel that, no matter the country, the end game is to pit us all against each other so that they can better control us. Nothing against you personally, but I am so sick of the manufactured Trump hysteria. It’s ridiculous. On a personal level, I despise the man but a vast majority of Americans say that their lives were a helluva lot better financially and they were far safer personally than they are now. That isn’t political, just fact.

On the bright side, people over here are coming to the realization that most of what they see, be it straight “news” (the majority of their “experts” and “journalists” being comprised of graduates of the Joseph Goebbels School of Journalism) or on the internet, is nothing but overblown bullshit designed to make us all hate each other and live in fear.

3 Likes