The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

gagagagoooooo

BOUND (1996, The Waschowkskis)

Before creating the MATRIX universe, the Waschowskis (then brothers, today sisters) made their directional debut with this neo-noir thriller starring Jenniffer Tilly and Gina Gershon as two lesbian lovers (one a gangster mol, the other an ex-con, fresh out of jail) who concoct a perfect plan to rob $2 million from the Mob. Of course things go not as planned…

Bound was made on a shoestring and wasn’t very successful when first released, but its reputation has grown considerably over the years and today some think this is the Waschowskis best film to date (I didn’t care much for this MATRIX franchise so I might agree). Okay, the script, full of unexpected plot-twists, may feel a little contrived and there are also a few biological inaccuracies (there’s the traditional coagulation factor: blood changes from a liquid into a gel much sooner than film makers seem to think), but this is a stylish, sexy and incredibly entertaining caper, that will keep you guessing from start to finish how on earth these two girls will ever manage to make it out alive.

**** out of 5

1 Like

Watched Dune for the 5the time or so :wink:

2 Likes

Last 10:

1. Sheridan: My Left Foot 6/10
  2. Ishii: Horrors of the Malformed Men 8/10
  3. Peckinpah: Ballad of Cable Hogue 10/10
  4. Budreau: Stocholm 5/10
  5. Wilder: The Apartment 7/10
  6. Bazzoni: Footprints on the Moon 7/10
  7. Wang: Smoke (cinema) 6/10
  8. Franco: Female Vampire 5/10
  9. Tarr: Satantango (cinema) 10/10
  10. White: Woman Walks Ahead 6/10
2 Likes

Watched an action packed sequel, Accident Man Hitmans Holiday with the greatest screen fighter around Scott Adkins, the Jesse Johnson original was superb, and this sequel goes one step beyond with some superbly choreographed fight action (by Andy Long) that is reminiscent of HK fliks of the 80’s

3 Likes

Karate Warrior. It’s… bad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like it. Cute movie. I mean, it’s karate.

How to lose a wife and gain a lover. Didn’t age well…

Watched with my son (his first viewing… Of many hopefully) the original theatrical version of Star Wars A New Hope (included as a bonus on the Special Edition trilogy dvd release in the early 2000’s) none of that Episode 4 nonsense…
Hadn’t seen it for awhile myself, almost forgot just how much I loved the original trilogy

6 Likes

I watched KILL THE WICKEDS, which I’d never seen before. I had, however, seen MATALO! and gradually realized that the latter was a total remake of the former. The violence in that is brutal, some great atmosphere with the ghost town, good use of an obviously small budget, but definitely not a must-see. I’d rank it at maybe a 6/10.

1 Like

Amen! … not a huge fan of these films, though I have seen them loads :face_with_raised_eyebrow: the hysterical fan mania really puts me off … I suppose I enjoy them ok despite their shortcomings and wildly overrated status.

But the good outweighs the bad. :+1:

2 Likes

I felt like some comedy today so I did a Peter Sellers and Blake Edwards double feature of The Pink Panther and A Shot in the Dark.

Clousseau

It has been years since I sat down and watched these films. I had a blast.

2 Likes

Just been to see the classic double bill of Alien and Aliens at my local cinema. What an experience to see them with a completely full screen!

4 Likes

I missed my opportunity to see the original ‘Alien’ double billed with Carpenter’s ‘The Fog’ … one of my great regrets (cinematically speaking) … it was 1981 or 2 , and I chose to see ‘Enter the Dragon’ and ‘The Big Brawl’ … what a mistake! :roll_eyes: I then found out that martial arts movies leave me cold, and a few years later when ‘Alien’ first played on TV, I was in awe … it scared the hell out me, and I still love it.

Did you see original prints of the Alien movies ?

2 Likes

They were the most recent 4K scans I believe. Theatrical for Alien and Extended Cut for Aliens!

1 Like

I saw the Tyneside Cinema advertising it. That place is a real gem, let’s hope it can stick around.

1 Like

Yes, lovely place. I was a bit worried recently with them advertising their donations more due to increasing costs, but I’ve heard from other cinema goers that they’ve had lots of people supporting them, some donating extremely large amounts to help. It’s also been really busy recently as more people are going to help out aswell. I’ve already seen 4 films there since Monday and I’m back again Friday to see The Royal Tenebaums in 35mm!

2 Likes

Watched Operation Fortune… Not deep, meaningful… Just slickly enjoyable espionage actioner from Guy Ritchie, with The Stath as ever cool and Hugh Grant, a guy I usually can’t abide, giving one of his best performances

Last 10

1. Lynch: Eraserhead 10/10
  2. Mann: Winchester '73 7/10
  3. Franco: Marquis de Sade’s Justine 6/10
  4. Resnais: Last Year in Marienbad 5/10
  5. Speeth: Malatesta’s Carnival of Blood 5/10
  6. Arkin: Little Murders 8/10
  7. Jodorowsky: The Holy Mountain 10/10
  8. Milonoff: Rikos ja rakkaus 3/10
  9. Nelson: Duel at Diablo 5/10
  10. Wyler: The Big Country 8/10
3 Likes

I just rewatched Apocalypse Joe. Still in love with it :laughing: I wish there was Apocalypse Joe 2

5 Likes

I’m a sucker for Apocalypse Joe too. It basically ends with what feels like a 45 minute long gunfight throughout the town :rofl: Great stuff

3 Likes