The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

It’s on my current watch list for films I am watching from 1942

Saboteur is not Hitchcock’s best, but it is a pretty good one. A forerunner of North By Northwest. 8/10 for me.

I think there’s something wrong with the rhytm of the film or something like that, with only 100 mins running time it felt terribly overlong. And that said at times I felt like it was still missing scenes.

2 Likes

You’ve piqued my interest my friend, I’m doubly hoping for a Blu Ray now. George Hilton chasing Antoine Saint-John before the body count gets really high sounds like a blast.

Ah! But you’re assuming that George Hilton is the good guy (which is in no way a spoiler). :wink:

2 Likes

Prey. Great, watch it.

2 Likes

Holding out on watching it in-case the studio execs realise how stupid they were and release it in cinemas

1 Like
  1. Franco: House of Lost Women 6/10
  2. Fuller: Forty Guns 6/10
  3. Fulci: Beatrice Cenci 9/10
  4. Crounse: Eyes of Fire 7/10
  5. Egger: Northman 9/10
  6. Sarnet: November 8/10
  7. Dietrich: Rolls Royce Baby ∞/10
  8. Mingozzi: Flavia the Heretic 6/10
  9. Portabella: Vampir cuadecuc 2/10
  10. Sandrich: Shall We Dance 6/10
3 Likes

Infinite out of 10?

1 Like

Right :joy:

2 Likes

Unpopular opinion, but I thought Nope wasn’t worth leaving the house for. Yes it had its moments but it’s a pale shade of Peele’s other movies… boring, ridiculous and kinda pointless. Oh well…

I really liked Get Out but I thought Us was utter rubbish. I’ll take a look at Nope eventually but not with any great anticipation. The movie I’m most anticipating, by far, is The Outwaters (Banfitch, 2022).

2 Likes

The trailer for ‘The Outwaters’ looks interesting…a typical lazy Sunday afternoon film to stick on for an elderly relative… :smile:

Seriously, though…it looks good, and will be worth checking out. :+1:

2 Likes

Still great upon rewatch. Next up: Comanche dub

2 Likes

Just watched Prey and Seb is absolutely correct - regarding both viewings. :laughing: Kind of curious about the Comanche dub myself.

1 Like

To the general public of today, the Swedish auteur Hans “Hasse” Ekman (1915-2004) is somewhat overlooked in the backwash of his son, actor and comedian Gösta (1939-2017) but he’s starting to become one of my favorite directors. Ok, maybe not so much with his comedies, but at his artistic peak in the early 1950s many film critics hailed him as the country’s best filmmaker (ahead of Ingmar Bergman!) His groundbreaking film Girl with Hyacinths (Flicka och Hyacinter) is revered by many as his masterpiece and a very early comment on LGBT issues - so early, in fact, that large parts of the 1950 audience left the theaters clueless about the twist ending. So the other night I finally sat down to watch it, somewhat skeptical, as I thought an old Swedish film shot in 1949 couldn’t be THAT good. Turns out, it could.

The basic plot premise is quite simple; a young woman leaves a party and commits suicide in her apartment. The neighboring couple, who didn’t know her, sets out to investigate the circumstances by interviewing those who knew her, and the majority part of the film consists of flashbacks told in non-chronological order. Yes, I know what you are thinking. This is some kind of Citizen Kane rip-off, isn’t it? Well, it is true that the narrative structure is very similar, but this film stands it’s own ground so well in terms of plot, characters and mood that it’s not even a beauty mark. From the alcoholic artist to the military officer, you’ll find yourself increasingly intrigued as the story unfolds trough the various character arcs. For the present viewer, the twist ending should be fairly easy to figure out, or even obvious, but the person who is not moved the slightest by the end is most likely dead. All this is built up in a comparatively tight runtime of 86 minutes.

I think there is a version with English subtitles available online, but unfortunately the image quality is quite poor. If you find a better version or don’t bother so-so image quality, I highly recommend you to give it a watch. This is a great film.
Unknown

1 Like

Watched “Paul” yesterday.
Nice addition to the Cornetto trilogy. I was unaware of this movie of the same writers.

1 Like

Watched Charade (1963) today with Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, James Coburn, and George Kennedy.

This was the first time I had seen the film due to the fact that I am not an Audrey Hepburn fan. I don’t know why but I have never been enamored with her and have in the past avoided movies strictly because she was the star.

But I was searching for something different to watch today and the rest of the cast persuaded me to give it a try. I am glad I did as this is an absolute classic in every sense as it is a comedy, romance, thriller, and mystery all wrapped into one.

And, on top of that, I actually gained a bit of appreciation for Audrey Hepburn…at least in this role. I might finally give some of her other films a try.

5 Likes

Love this movie, and not just cause it’s one of my Mom’s favorites :grin: Love Audrey Hepburn too, just something about her was enamoring and sophisticated. She was a gentlewoman. Definitely give her other work a chance, she’s worth it.

2 Likes
  1. Technine: Wild Reed 6/10
  2. Corbucci: Odds and Evens 5/10
  3. Ishii: Horros of Malformed Men 9/10
  4. Seikkula: Onks Viljoo näkyny? 2/10
  5. Jodorowsky: Endless Poetry 9/10
  6. Hitchcock: Linnut 6/10
  7. Herzog: Invincible 6/10
  8. Herzog: Invincible (w commentary track) 6/10
  9. Franco: Other Side of the Mirror 7/10
  10. Ashby: Harold & Maude 10/10
1 Like