4. Franco: Black Boots, Leather Whip 4/10
  5. Kalatozov: The Cranes Are Flying 8/10
  6. Franklin: Psycho II 6/10
  7. Pasolini: Medeia 7/10
  8. Scola: We All Loved Each Other So Much 8/10
  9. Kaurismäki: Rosso 8/10
  10. Spielberg: Raiders of the Lost Ark 5/10
1 Like

I’ve just watched this watery treasure, after having grabbed it in a ‘CEX’ store this morning.
I remember seeing it at the cinema in 1977. It is a great companion piece to ‘Jaws’ (1975) - both having been written by author, Peter Benchley.

Please watch it…it’s worth it…
Deep’ stars Robert Shaw (fresh from the jaws that swallowed him in 1975); Nick Nolte (when you could still understand what he was saying); Jacqueline Bisset (beautiful as always); and our old mate, Eli Wallach. Louis Gossett Jr. plays a hiss-worthy bad guy.

With an immaculate score by John Barry (reminiscent of ‘Thunderball’); awe-inspiring underwater cinematography; and Jacqueline Bisset’s wet T-shirt and nipples, who could ask for a more pleasant way to be entertained without getting their feet wet?

https://youtu.be/8GlWj1i2ZU8

The main theme was so popular at the time that Donna Summer (in collaboration with John Barry) brought out her own vocal version, ‘Down, Deep Inside’, which became a top-five chart hit in the UK.

https://youtu.be/pe_bcJkRWN8

Great…if you love the '70’s disco sounds…Magic!!!

Donna Summer…she was a diamond…

3 Likes

Why did Sergio Martino make this movie??? And how did he convince Ursula Andress and Stacy Keach to join in??? I am so glad that I watched this on a free streaming site and did not spend hard earned money on this shock fest abomination.

1 Like

A triple-bill of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune…

5 Likes

Can’t go wrong with Mifune. Yojimbo is probably my favourite of his samurai films. Watched Throne of Blood last week but didn’t really enjoy it all that much and found it quite boring. If you haven’t seen it already, I recommend Kurosawa’s High and Low (1963).

2 Likes

High and Low is one of my favorite movies but I have a differing opinion about Throne of Blood. For me, it is the best and most original version of Shakespeare’s Macbeth that has ever been made. But I can’t say that I truly dislike any film Kurosawa every made.

3 Likes

Cruel Gun Story Takumi Furukawa 1964.
cruel gun story

Japanese noir. Another heist going sour. This time the hijacking of an armoured car carrying 127 million yen in racetrack. And lots of guns and cruelty along the road.

4 Likes

I’ve been wanting to watch this for the longest time as I’m a massive Jo Shishido fan but I can’t find it anywhere apart from the expensive criterion DVD set. I did manage to track down A Colt is my Passport which was awesome. I am praying for a future blu ray release someday.

1 Like

Love me some Kurosawa and Mifune, they made a great team. Out of those three, Yojimbo is my absolute favorite film of both of them.

2 Likes

I have the Criterion Collection Eclipse series Yakuza Noir set that includes this film, and they’re all great, especially Cruel Gun Story. It’s probably the most Noir of all the films.

1 Like

The protagonist Togawa played by
Jô Shishido is definitely as noir as they come…
Said to be influenced by Stanley Kubricks The KIlling.

Not sure where the version I watched originates from… Running time 1:26:28. English subs.

1 Like

Just bought

3 Likes

Nice :+1:t2:!!

1 Like

I watched ‘Blade’ for the first time on Bluray last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Plenty of fast, furious action, blood-letting, and a rollicking good soundtrack. Wesley Snipes was just born to play the part… Probably one of the very best vampire-hunting movies I’ve ever seen, and I’m looking forward to getting my teeth stuck in to the two sequels…

Followed by…the fourth ‘Resident Evil’ film. This was a notch or two down from the first three in the franchise, but still entertaining enough - even though the heroine was able to fly into a mountain, completely destroying the aircraft, and then walk away unscathed…On the plus side, there is still of plenty of zombie butt being kicked…

Ended the evening with classic 1941 Universal horror…

2 Likes

The blood rave in Blade is one of my favourite opening movie scenes. Wesley Snipes is effortlessly cool.

3 Likes

Mini-reviews of my on-going Hong Kong fixation:

• Police Story - 5/5 Insanely funny and chock full of amazing stunts and fight scenes. Jackie Chan’s magnum opus. Amazing theme song which I didn’t realise was sung by Jackie himself and used in adverts by the real Hong Kong police
  • Police Story 2 - 3.5/5 Worthy sequel but not quite as entertaining as the first. Fights and stunts still amazingly well done though
  • Project A - 4.5/5 Probably my second favourite Jackie. Love the setting and the combo of Jackie, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao is awesome
  • Project A Part 2 - 3.5/5 As with Police Story 2, its a worthy sequel but not as engaging as the first. Too many characters
  • Drunken Master - 4.5/5 My third favourite Jackie. Love the comedy in this one as the final fight is fantastic
  • One Armed Boxer - 4.5/5 Balls to the walls crazy and is basically 90 mins of crazy action. Jimmy Yu is basically Chinese One Punch Man
  • Snake in the Eagles Shadow - 4/5 Brilliant action and a hilarious death involving Jackie leaping towards his foe making panther noises
  • City Hunter - 3.5/5 Really fun and has that wonderful campy early 90s feel. Has some horrifically aged homophobic jokes
  • Operation Condor - 3.5/5 Felt a tad bit long but has some really awesome sets in a Nazi bunker
  • Wheels on Meals - 4/5 The Dragon trio again with yet another perfect blend of comedy and action. Has one of the best Jackie fights with Benny ‘The Jet’
  • Miracles - 4/5 Less action-oriented but fantastically directed by Jackie. The humour is great and yet again the sets are gorgeous
  • Dragons Forever - 4/5 Yet another amazing fight with Jackie and Benny ‘The Jet’. Some really wholesome romance in this one and the Dragon trio are as brilliant as always
3 Likes

The same goes for ‘Blade 2’…Fresh respect for this guy…

1 Like

Loved his turn as the bad guy in the Sylvester Stallone movie Demolition Man and as a detective, along with Diane Lane as a Secret Service agent, in Murder at 1600. He is far more versatile than he gets credit for and has done a wide variety of roles.

2 Likes

Zodiac (2007) directed by David Fincher

Great film with a great cast that would easily make my Top 10.

2 Likes

I had put off this film for a bit as I was getting through my Jackie Chan backlog but I decided to finally watch it today. Holy shit this film is fucking AWESOME. Half of the time I was just giggling to myself with how cool the fight scenes were. Gordon Liu literally impales a dude with a snapped in half bamboo pole, then whacks it with his own pole and then it flys through the dude to then impale another dude stood behind him. I have no idea how they managed to cram what feels like a 3-hour film epic journey into only 97 minutes without it feeling rushed. The inclusion of lots of blood and gore was super refreshing after watching a lot of Jackie’s kung fu films where you rarely see much blood. My only problem now is that I’m eyeing up some of the other 88 films Shaw Bros releases and that Shawscope collection from Arrow.

2 Likes