The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

Fritt Vilt (Cold Prey – 2006, Rur Uthoag)

After one of them had a terrible accident, five young snowboarders seek shelter in an abandoned hotel. Obviously they’re not alone … someone is sneaking in and around the hotel … and then one of them is attacked …

The deliberate pace of this Norwegian slasher may irritate viewers who expect blood and gore from the start, but the film is well-acted and well-directed, with the emphasis on menace rather than blood and gore. The film is book-ended by two brief (but intriguing) sequences in which it is explained how a small boy could become a killer who attacks all those who come near.

The film’s success (both at home and abroad) led to two sequels and some think the First sequel even tops the original. We’ll see.

:star: :star: :star:½

Fritt Vilt II (Cold Prey 2 – 2008)

Did it really top the original? Well, it’s not bad, especially for a sequel, but like most sequels of successful horror movies it tries to stupefy audiences by offering more of the same in a more crude and blatant way. So no, it didn’t.

Jannicka (Ingrid Bolsø Berdal), the only survivor of the First movie is taken to a hospital while the bodies of the victims and the killer are brought to the morgue, but of course the killer has somehow survived his own death. You can guess what happens next.

In the first movie the killer had been abandoned as a kid by his parents, who had left him for dead in the middle of nowhere in the snowy Norwegian wilderness: it was easy to understand how he had become the monster he was and in fact we felt a bit sorry for him. In this sequel he seems no longer human, but is instead turned into one of those murderous creatures that keep coming back.

Bolsø Berdal has the film’s best line near the end, when asked why she is pointing a riot gun at the killer, who is already dead:

“I killed him before.”

:star: :star:½

Screen-Shot-2019-06-02-at-19.32.13

2 Likes

I’ve watched only the first one. Here’s what I’ve written about it in my watching diary: Solid slasher with characters who for a change make believable decision (by “solid” I mean “better than most”).

1 Like

I agree with this statement, of course. I read somewhere that somebody thought they could have run away, but I don’t think it was that easy: they had started the day with five, one of them had broken his leg and int hat case it’s not that easy to run away. Furthermore it was late at night and they were in the middle of nowhere. Norway is not a country where would like to get lost late at night. So yes, I thought their decisions were believable

Learn something everyday. I didn’t know it was based on a book. :grinning:

’ZULU’ (1964)

Stanley Baker, Michael Caine, Jack Hawkins, Nigel Green, James Booth…

’Dwarfing the Mightiest…Towering Over the Greatest!’…

1 Like

’THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE’ (1972)

In the 1970’s, film producer, Irwin Allen, was king of the disaster movies…

As an elder brother to 1974’s ‘The Towering Inferno’, this is Hollywood mayhem at its best; and, with a cast headed by the magnificent Gene Hackman, and Ernest Borgnine, this beauty has stood the test of time. No cgi, simply practical effects, which left the cast wondering why they had swapped their warm, cosy, dressing rooms, for water, water, everywhere…

A classic, in my book…

1 Like

’PLANET OF THE APES’ (1968)

The first, the best, and the one that blew me away as a ten year-old child.
What a show-stopper!

MAGIC!

1 Like