The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

That’s classic - I’ll borrow that expression, if I may !? LOL :rofl:

The version I watched last night was the unrated version, with a few extra ‘shocking’ scenes of blood-letting thrown in. Decided to skip the censored ‘theatrical version’.

‘Conquest’ is certainly the most vicious of the original ‘Apes’ films, although tame by today’s standards.
My favourite, however, is still the 1968 original, with Charlton Heston, which I never tire off.

‘Conquest’ is, in many ways, a fore-runner to the recent ‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’.

1 Like

Feel free!

1 Like

Never been topped.
I have seen bits and pieces of the new ones. CGI apes lose the humanity of the originals despite Andy Serkis performance.

1 Like

Death_Train_1993
Watched this last night. Pre Bond Brosnan adventure. His mid western accent is seriously dodgy but it is an exciting adventure from the thriller master

‘WHITE HEAT’, 1949

Just finished off my brief season of James Cagney gangster films, by watching this undisputed classic, in which he portrays sadistic, volatile, gang leader, Cody Jarrett…who’s loyalty and love for his mother, is equalled only by his propensity for violent outbursts, and increasingly erratic behaviour.
Beautifully directed by Raoul Walsh, the film skilfully blends film noir with gangster mayhem, at it’s very best.

In what I regard as the finest, and most iconic, performance of James Cagney’s distinguished career, his portrayal of Cody Jarrett is chilling, and every second on screen emphasises the menace seething just beneath the surface of this complex character.
Even by today’s standards, this is riveting stuff.

Following on from ‘The Public Enemy’, ‘Angels with Dirty Faces’, and ‘The Roaring Twenties’, ‘White Heat’ is always a pleasure to watch, and is a crowning achievement for all involved.

“Made it Ma! Top of the World!”

3 Likes

Cagney is untouchable. 10/10 for this one. Cagney should have got another Oscar!
These WB gangster movies have something that modern ones don’t. I watched PETRIFIED FOREST a couple of nights ago.

1 Like

‘GUNS AT BATASI’ (1964)

Sir Richard Attenborough excellently portrays a strict, by-the-book, Regimental Sergeant Major, who must use his vast experience, and tenacity, to maintain order in an African colony, when tensions arise, as result of a change in the local Government.

The film also stars a host of well-known character actors, including Jack Hawkins, Flora Robson, John Leyton, Graham Stark, Cecil Parker, David Lodge, Bernard Horsfall…and a very young Mia Farrow.

Based on the novel, ‘The Siege of Battersea’, by 'Robert Holles, the film boasts a crisp, ‘stand-to-attention’ script, tense character-development, and a rip-roaring main theme by John Addison (‘A Bridge Too Far’).

A film worth watching, if only to marvel at the veritable parade of acting talent on display, and a thoroughly engaging performance by the seriously under-rated, Sir Richard Attenborough.

2 Likes

The late Sir Richard was worthy of a lot more attention from Hollywood. He was of the same calibre as Mason and Burton and not an over actor. Hell he stood up against John Wayne!
He suited military roles. My favourite one was in SEA OF SAND.
And it was directed by John Guillerman, what more can you want?!

1 Like

I’m a big fan of this one too - You don’t have to agree with the politics on show to enjoy this - just be mesmerised by Attenborough’s performance. Bloody brilliant! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Special mention, also, to Sir Richard’s performances in ‘10, Rillington Place’; ‘The Angry Silence’; Brighton Rock’; ‘The Man Upstairs’; ‘Flight of the Phoenix’; ‘The Sand Pebbles’;and - of course - as ‘Big X’ in ‘The Great Escape’.

2 Likes

Sir Rich is fantastic in Brighton Rock. He give Anthony Perkins a run for his money in the twitchy psycho department.

Hell comes to Frogtown. Masterpiece
City Slickers. Still a mostly flawless piece of comedy movie / adventure movie

Got it on BD, and watched it once, several years ago. A truly weird film, that has to be seen to be believed.

Perhaps a second viewing is in order, and may soften my initial feelings towards it…plus a vat of wine to enhance the hallucinatory experience… :wink:

Enjoyed a great night of fast, furious action, with a double-bill of ‘Red Cliff’, part 1 (2008); followed by the excellent, blood-soaked, ‘13 Assassins’ (2010).

3 Likes

13 Assassins was the last Japanese film I really went nuts for.

This revived my interest in the Chambara genre.

2 Likes

’DREDD’ (2012)

In the savage, futuristic dystopia of ‘Mega City One’, where the police have the authority to act as judge, jury, and executioner, a hard-ass cop teams up with a trainee, to take down a gang that has taken over an entire tower block, and is distributing a mind-altering drug called ‘SLO-MO’.

I really like this highly stylised, ulta-violent interpretation of the iconic anti-hero, from the ‘2000 AD’ comic. The action never lets up for a second, and the visuals are simply breath-taking.
Karl Urban, as ‘Dredd’, does a commendable job, as does Lena Headey, as the prostitute turned drug-lord, ‘Ma-Ma’.
In my opinion, this is a major improvement over the 1995, Sylvester Stallone effort, ‘Judge Dredd’, and is certainly a rougher, tougher, more faithful adaption of the legendary comic-book character.

2 Likes

Dredd`s a terrific picture :+1:. The Stallone movie looks the part more than Dredd could manage with its more limited budget but Dredd captures the spirit of the comic WAY more than the 1995 film, which was imo a f#cking travesty of a movie from front to back.

It’s a real shame they didn’t recoup enough to justify pushing ahead with the proposed trilogy of movies.

3 Likes

Yes, Dredd is a pretty good actioner.

2 Likes