The Last Hard Men (Andrew McLaglen, 1976)

This western came very late in the cycle. I believe it was the last western of the unkown but underrated western director Andrew V. Maclagen. The film is ok but very watchable. Stars two great western actors. Charleton Heston as the aged hero and James Coburn as the villain. I love James Coburn. Not that way but he is a great actor with one of the coolest voices in the world. Never a big Charleton Heston fan after seeing Bowling for Columbine but he is good in this one too. This one is also very violent. It’s main theme is revenge. James Coburn escapes from a chain gang circa 1910 and forms a gang to avenge the death of his wife and his imprisonment. He kidnaps Heston’s daughter and alows his gang to rape her. Heston plays an ageing former sheriff responisble for ruining Coburn’s life and he sets out with Christopher Mitchum to get his daughter back and to settle the score with Coburn. No DVD release but DVD-r’s are out there.

James Coburn really makes this for me because i’ve never seen him as a villain and he was so great… I really like the a spaghetti western/Peckinpah feel to it. There is an official Australian release http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/796628 , the usual high standard standard from mgm… I was so surprised to see it in stores for $10 so I grabbed it immediately… theres also this release with the same cover as the region 4 http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/last-hard-p-12199.html

Good old Chuck Heston hunts down escaped convict James Coburn and pals, who have kidnapped Hestons’s daughter.

Like the semi-automatic weapons in turn of the century westerns like this, but not found of the cars though. Heston plays an ex lawman who is forced back into the saddle, and is not 100% comfortable with some of the progress in modern western life. But sort of comes back into the swing of things, when he has to step back into his old job. Coburn perhaps trys to hard at times to play it mean, and does not come across as natural sometimes. Enjoyed the violence level, and had not viewed in years so the ending pleased me. Film has it flaws, but enjoyed the ride.

This is a very good movie, which has been released by Shout Factory this month as part of a double bill. The other movie on the DVD is James Coburn in Sky Riders. This DVD is definitely worth purchasing.

[quote=“LVC, post:4, topic:1313”]This is a very good movie, which has been released by Shout Factory this month as part of a double bill. The other movie on the DVD is James Coburn in Sky Riders. This DVD is definitely worth purchasing.[/quote]I only bought a Dutch dvd a few months back. If I’d known this was coming out I would have waited.

Typical Manhunt film of it’s type but enjoyable enough.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:5, topic:1313”]I only bought a Dutch dvd a few months back. If I’d known this was coming out I would have waited.

Typical Manhunt film of it’s type but enjoyable enough.[/quote]

I have made the same mistake on other movies. I have now become more patient waiting for a good region 1 release. This DVD has both movies in brilliant 2.35 anamorphic widescreen.

Very good flick!James Coburn is unexpected believable in his role as a bad guy.The same goes and for his partner Jorge Rivero as a mexican bandit.Charlton Heston very good as usual.It’s very solid film with the plot proceed rigidly without superfluous minutes.The action and the violence here is very good and has nothing to jealous from Peckinpah films.Highly recommended.