The Last Film You Saw in the Cinema?

I’ve read (didn’t know that) that the spark of the movement was a racist comment by Eric Clapton at a concert in Birmingham on Aug. 5, 1976.

1 Like

Just went to see No Time to Die with my family. Really enjoyed it. After initial impressions, it might be one of my all-time favourites but I’ll have to wait until I rewatch it. I get really bad ‘Cinema Bias’ and always enjoy a film a lot more when I see it on the big screen so I always rewatch later on to see if my opinion has changed.

2 Likes

Same here. For me the whole movie theater experience can make even a crummy film enjoyable to watch, especially if you’re seeing it with family or friends.

2 Likes

I came out of Star Wars 9 thinking ‘man that was awesome’ and then when I rewatched it later I started questioning whether past me was clinically insane

1 Like

Just went to see Halloween Kills. It was utter garbage but thankfully the kills were extremely brutal and frequent.

2 Likes

I have the Peacock app which it was released on yesterday. You nailed it 100%. :laughing:

1 Like

Went to my local cinema yesterday afternoon to watch the latest Bond, ‘No Time to Die’.
Thoroughly enjoyed it…a good story, soundtrack, action scenes, and it catered for just about every emotion possible. Recommended.

3 Likes

No Time To Die, got to be honest, thought first half was great but the second half left me cold and quite a bit underwhelmed.

2 Likes

I thought it was a good movie and if it had been about anyone but Bond, I would have thought it was a great movie. Too many changes to the whole Bond legacy for my taste (and my wife’s as well who is a complete and total Bond freak and has been her whole life). But, as I said, a very well done movie.

2 Likes

Got to see both The Evil Dead and Return of the Living Dead in beautiful 35mm print today. It was such a great experience and the audience were just as great!

4 Likes

Saw the new Scream. This original Wes Craven classic is one of my favourite all-time movies. I really wanted to enjoy this but it wasn’t really that good.

4 Likes

Just saw it today

I’d give it 3 knives out of 5. It was overly self aware to the point where you may aswell be watching Scary Movie.

1 Like

Just been to see The Hunter’s Diary (1964) in stunning 35mm as part of The Japan Foundation Touring FIlm Programme.

A super exciting murder mystery following Ishiro Honda (not THE Ishiro Honda) who hunts women like prey in order to fulfil his sexual dissatisfaction in his marriage - and records his accounts in his diary. He then finds that his past prey are being murdered one after another. Similar to Akira Kurosawa’s High and Low, the mid point of the film switches to the perspective of Honda’s lawyer and his assistant who are trying to track down the killer in order stop Honda’s death sentence.

I believe this film hasn’t seen a single home video release anywhere in the world, but if this eventually does get a scan done and comes to blu-ray, I highly recommend!

2 Likes

Got to see my favourite Verhoeven in 35mm tonight! Went with two of my mates who had never seen it before and they loved it. I really love being able to experience older movies with an audience as it really makes a difference when watching it, especially in a more humourous film like Starship Troopers.

Tomorrow I’m seeing the new restoration of Vampyr done by Eureka. Really curious to see how well an older film holds up on the big screen.

4 Likes

Just got back from seeing Bullet Train starring Brad Pitt and directed by David Leitch.

The wife and I both absolutely loved it! Great gory fun and we barely stopped laughing from start to finish. Over the top? Absolutely! But this film wouldn’t have worked if it wasn’t. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I can’t wait to see it again ASAP.

3 Likes

I enjoyed it too. Corny as hell but thoroughly entertaining.

1 Like

First full day back up at University and what better way to welcome myself back than to see Casablanca followed by a 35mm screening of Spike Lee’s Clockers

4 Likes

Seen some classics recently, all 3 for the first time! It’s so amazing to have my first experience with these films being on the big screen.

Get Carter

Although I wouldn’t say I loved this one, it was awesome to see Newcastle in the 70s, the city that I’m currently living in and attending university at. Michael Caine is just so cool.

2001: A Space Odyssey

I have seen bits of this when I was younger as it’s my dad’s favourite film but I never really took an interest to it then. I was in awe at how ingenious some of the shots are in this, especially the ones that involved the rotating rooms.

The Seventh Seal

Went into this completely blind apart from knowing it has something to do with playing chess with the devil :joy:. I really enjoyed it and I was surprised by how humorous it was.

7 Likes

I think about this film every time I pass the High Level Bridge. Or as I call it ‘The Get Carter Bridge’.

1 Like

Another two first timers on the big screen!

Loved Caligari. Was surpised just how much an 102 year old film can build suspense. Did not really enjoy Eraserhead. Too kooky for my tastes.

6 Likes