The Hills Run Red / Un fiume di dollari (Carlo Lizzani, 1966)

Just seen this one and I liked it quite a bit. Far away from being a classic and still owes a lot to American Western but it had some pretty good spaghetti scenes like the fights, the big shootout in the empty town (I specially liked the hearse scene) and the final showdown in the dark. The soundtrack is also a hybrid, with some spaghetti feel here and there but still very classic. What made this one stand over letā€™s say, Un Dollaro Bucato was Henry Silvaā€™s performance. He was as great as always, I loved every single one of his scenes. He was perfect for the genre, I donā€™t klow why he didnā€™t do more. Do you imagine a SW with Silva and Kinski? That wouldā€™ve been so fucking great!

Sorry guys, I didnā€™t like this one at all. :o
Except for Machiavelli and Silva, it has truly terrible cast. I remember Thomas Hunter was one of the most wooden actors in spaghettis. I couldnā€™t believe how poor it was. I havenā€™t watched for a while, so Iā€™m not going to vote yet. Iā€™m a more experienced fan now, so I might like it a bit, but still it was one of my biggest disappointments. Before I watched it, Iā€™d thought it would have become my top 20 stuff.
Ennio Morriconeā€™s music was good, however I found his main theme just OK.
Carlo Lizzani makes something unremarkable, but I think itā€™s not his fault. It was just poor script (mix of Ringo films, particularly Return of Ringo) and bad cast.
Iā€™m going to watch it soon, so I might like it. Who knows?

Agree with Mickey13 on this one, totally unremarkable but I did give it 3 stars as I have seen worse. The main problems being the cast (apart from Henry Silva) particularly the lead actor playing the ā€˜heroā€™. Even Henry Silva is unremarkable although he does have obvious screen presence which the rest of the cast lack. The score is also humdrum, and nothing like a Morricone score even though hes listed at imdb as being involved. Thought the script was ok but directed without any flair and a lack of memorable ā€œmomentsā€. This did not make me a fan of Carlo Lizzani at all.

Morricone only involved? Heā€™s the composer.

I like the score of Hills Run Red. Itā€™s the most memorable thing in the movie.

Yeah the score is one of Morriconeā€™s best, imoā€¦ similar to the Navajo Joe score

Most expensive L.P I ever purchased was to this score. Morricone was credited under a different name on the L.Pā€¦Leo Nichols.

hmmm, i really liked this one, although judging from first few mins, i thought itş going to be not very engaging for me, but on the contrary, it was

I liked The Hills Run Red. One of those I-Turn-My-Back-For-Five-Years-And-My-Gobshite-Mate-Turns-Me-Over-And-Ballbagā€™s-My-Life revenge jobs. Loved the leather-clad Mehhican gentleman - cool outfit, bro - although I imagine Iā€™d collapse with heat exhaustion by noon of the first day I tried to strut about in that get-up. Wasnā€™t overkeen on leading man Thomas Hunter if Iā€™m honest; seemed a bit over-excitable and shouty for a hero type. But it was good stuff. It looked as though there was a decent production going on. In fact the green, verdant look of the movie gave it a far more American look, really. Lots more grass than usual.

Just watched this on the Optimum UK DVD release. Itā€™s certainly not up with the best Euro Westerns, and I much preferred Lizzaniā€™s Requiscant.

I was genuinely surprised to learn that Thomas Hunter is actually American, and I feel that the film would have been improved by Dan Duryea taking the villain role. He was one of the great American western bad guys and is a bit wasted here. Sad to think that he would be dead within two years of The Hills Run Redā€™s release.

The DVD itself is excellent quality - it lacks extras, but can be bought quite cheaply.

I concur.

Not a big fan of this film. Itā€™s a decent timekiller, I suppose, but something I rarely - if ever - watch.

I love this one. The only bad part of it to me, is that it makes me sad Henry Silva only did one SW.

Yeah, aside from Thomas Hunter being a little hyper on some scenes, i like this one myself.

Have always liked this one and just noticed it has received a blu ray release in Australia

Anyone happen to have this disc or know any info? Canā€™t really find any reviews for it anywhere

I have a thing for post-war spaghettis. Two-faced war profiteer becomes big businessman and landowner who is trying to push away small landowners? Yeah, Iā€™m in, I know what they are talking about :wink:

That said, Return of Ringo is obvious influence and directing style was influenced by Leone. I donā€™t think Hunter was wooden, he was opposite of that. He was overacting and he obviously canā€™t act (over-non-acting?). But I didnā€™t mind that, it added bit of cheese and camp, which can be fun. Silva was overacting too, but he has that unforgettable face and crazy look which is always welcome. Nicoletta Machiavelli was stunning, but really didnā€™t have much to do in the movie. I would never mistake this movie to be an American. Never in (classic) American western could you see Union soldiers in blue uniforms and yellow ribbons beat our hero.

I found the score very good, although not rich in themes like some other Morricone scores. The song (Home to my love) is one of his best SW songs with vocals imo. I believe that ā€˜Ginoā€™ who is singing it is probably great Italian singer Gino Paoli.

Movie needs to be released with proper ending (although again, this ā€˜too happyā€™ ending adds more fun cheese).

One star for Silva and Machiavelli.

What the heck, three stars then, after all they are not Michelin Stars!

New member here.Watched the MGM American release of this recently. Thought it was pretty bad, even Silva couldnā€™t help this one. Americanized (and not in a good way), Hunter was a weak lead, awful fistfights, Morriconeā€™s score wasnā€™t up there with his best to me. i donā€™t think a different ending would change my opinion much. For now Iā€™ll give it 2/5.

1 Like

Welcome here.

No, not a great spagh. Weak lead and a different eneding might not have made all the difference, but it could have helped at least a little.

Really a terrible eng dubā€¦i hated the movie with it.
sometime or more i prefer to watch spaghetties with italian audio and eng subtitle.