The Hills Run Red / Un fiume di dollari (Carlo Lizzani, 1966)

I would say the same. 4 me It was to american-like, however its a good SW. And the Koch-DVD is outstanding as usual.

3/5

I think the Dureya character is mostly to blame for the strong US style. But I don’t mind US style SWs at all, as long as they’re good.

I kept seeing Gilbert Roland in the DD role - as that older, mustacheod cool figure.

He would have been a bit more mysterious. DD is more of a teddy bear.

I think Duryea brings gravitas to the movie, but agree it’s not exactly his strongest role.

He’s just the US style father figure. Something more SW like would have done better I guess.

I have seen the film several days ago and found it terrible.
Extremely boring, with no real highlights.
It can be seen on the film that some higher budget was available. But that does not save the movie. There has too many weaknesses.

The actors performances were able to convince me either. And performance of Silva not. I found his character is a little exaggerated.
The only positive on the film was the music of Morricone. But the music had been used very little.

So I was very disappointed. OK, the Koch Media Version has a very good quality. As always. But this film has not needed be released by Koch Media. At least not for me.

My rating 3 / 10

Well, that’s probably a bit low. Don’t know why Frayling likes it that much, but it sure has its good moments. It gets better on a second view without becoming too convincing. A typical 3/5

I didn’t like it when I first saw it, now i’d give 4 1/2 out of 5.

That’s probably a bit high … :wink:

When I first watched it, I gave it 4/5. Now the movie seems just boring to me…

Yep…that sometimes happens of course.

Another Dino di Laurentiis production, and its noticeable almost every Italian got his name change in the credits even Morricone.
In this one the locations are not so effective, never been in Austin Tx but I guess it will be difficult to found Olive trees there, and in some night scene in town there was too much electric light going around for my taste.
Anyway pretty straightforward film made for the taste of the American audience, with the respective happy ending, but I like this Spags with a classical western touch, sometimes you have the best of both worlds like in Navajo Joe for instance.
Lizanni the ex critic made so many and different films that I found it hard to say much about him (I’ve seen some real turkeys from the guy, and some cool ones especially the poliziescos), but he directs the film well in a more sort of assemblage line kind of way, but he keeps the action and story interesting and watchable.
The drawback it’s Thomas Hunter, when the main actor it’s the worst of the lot that says it all, those more dramatic scenes was even comic watching the guy.
Winnie Gets character was maybe the first undercover agent of the west, also cool how dynamite it’s use the level the numbers between the good and the bad guys, but I still prefer the machine gun (a tank would also be cool).
A very good extra in this one, it’s having the international and greatly iconic actor with the most Portuguese name (apart from Joaquim d’Almeida, but that his Portuguese) Henrique Silva or Henry Silva, acting like if he was Mexican Jack Palance, but I got to admit the guy he’s real cool in his …ah how can I say overacting.
The soundtrack with an easy listening touch sounded nice, oh and Nicolleta didn’t die in the end.
Well a classical western made in Italy but nice to watch pity about the main actor.
Lizanni took the job from Laurentiis but he must thought of himself as a more artistic director not made for this do it this way jobs and would go to make very different films

Review: THE HILLS RUN RED (1966, Dir. Carlo Lizzani)

Here is a Spaghetti Western that is from early enough in the genre’s brief history that is seems colorful, fresh, enthusiastic and straightforward – much more like a “traditional” Western that its later, more cynical counterparts.

The little-seen American actor Thomas Hunter stars in a lush Dino DeLaurentiis production that is a brisk and intensely violent if simple revenge saga. Hunter and Nando Gazzolo play robbers that are apprehended by soldiers after a big heist. The men quickly determine one can run with the loot if the other takes the rap for the crime. A simple draw of the cards (Hunter picks an 8 against his partner’s Jack) means that Hunter is sent away for five years. Upon his release, Hunter finds Gazzolo has become a wealthy miser with no inclination to share his bounty. With help from American Western veteran Dan Duryea as a helpful samaritan whose intentions seem to good to be true, Hunter sets to battle Gazzolo and his henchmen, led by the outrageously evil Mendez (Henry Silva).

I really liked Thomas Hunter’s squinty-eyed ferocity in this flick – he is like a flipside of Clint Eastwood’s brusque-demeanored persona. Hunter narrows his eyes and grits his teeth plenty, but also manages to cut loose with wildly flailing fists in several nice hand-to-hand combat scenes, including an exciting ambush of Hunter in his family’s abandoned barn. He also has a few maniacal outbursts in which he literally howls to the sky in frustration, which you definitely do not see in a Western very often. In fact, both hero Hunter and villain Silva are enthusiastically intense in their performances with Silva especially chewing scenery like he hasn’t eaten for days. Silva’s portrayal of Mendez is halfway between a posh, refined Mexican Caballero and a proud, crazed, black-leather-clad savage. As his men unsuccessfully attempt a capture of Hunter early on, Silva gleefully holsters his pistol so that he may fervently applaud his adversary. One great moment of many for Silva in the flick, he is terrific.

Also noteworthy in the cast are Duryea, as Hunter’s ardent and everpresent ally, playing it solid and simple; Gazzolo in his small part as the cowardly, weirdly effeminate turncoat; and lovely redhead Gianna Serra as a two-timing saloon singer, whose sassy bravado and piled-high hair bring to mind a wild west version of B-52’s singer Kate Pierson.

The scenery and photgraphy here are lavish for the genre – filled with beautiful vistas and big-scale, epic sequences suggesting the pic was not done on the cheap. One of the most impressive scenes is the bad-guys’ dramatic horse-trail ambush which includes huge, flaming bundles of tinder rolled down a mountain to scatter the horses. The acting business is well-handled, too, with a highlight being the intense scene where Hunter finally reveals himself to his rival, verrry slowly lifting his head til his eyes are visible from under his hat.

The big, brassy theme by Ennio Morricone also aids in the film’s cause, as it is a powerful, unsubtle blast of a tune that is reminiscent of the famous MAGNIFICENT SEVEN sound. It is an appropriate scene-setter for the brisk, bold vibe of THE HILLS RUN RED.

The verdict? A forthright, spirited and easy-to-watch Western and one to recommend. 7/10 stars.

I was disappointed by this one.

… and I receive it today via amazon DE

Outra coisa tens lĂĄ o lemonade joe

Dos SW podes colocar o tridicesimo è…

This is not a great film but we geeks must have them all ;D

[quote=“El Topo, post:97, topic:134”]Outra coisa tens lá o lemonade joe

Dos SW podes colocar o tridicesimo è…

This is not a great film but we geeks must have them all ;D[/quote]

Ok. On going…
Meaning… I’m a geek! “O coleccionismo é uma doença!”

[quote=“p.pereira, post:98, topic:134”]Ok. On going…
Meaning… I’m a geek! “O coleccionismo é uma doença!”[/quote]

Yeap

“… Geeks of the world unite and take over…”

By the way you got to make a review sobre o Lemonade Joe para o teu blogue

[quote=“El Topo, post:99, topic:134”]Yeap

“… Geeks of the world unite and take over…”

By the way you got to make a review sobre o Lemonade Joe para o teu blogue[/quote]

Sure.