The Hellhounds of Alaska / Die blutigen Geier von Alaska (Harald Reinl, 1973)

Database Page: Blutigen Geier von Alaska, Die - The Spaghetti Western Database

Doug McClure plays a fur trapper who helps out a friend, by taking his unwell son to a doctor. Things do not go simple though as the boy ends up being kidnapped by the leader of some gold robbers. McClure sets out to search for the boy, but ends up getting framed by the gold robbers himself.

McClure starred in many adventure style films in the 70’s, and looks fairly fit here compared to some of his later roles. Directed by Harold Reinl who directed some Winnetou films. Reinl does not forget these films in this one, as outstanding scenery on display. Think he had a thing for waterfalls myself, as like some of his other films we have a few shots in this one. Indians also pop at the start of the film, and involve one of the films more brutal moments. This is more explicit depending on what print you view of the film. McClure also has a dog with one of the staple names used in this type of film…" Buck ". Like the White Fang films there are moments of violence that are unsuitable for young children, but then alot of the content is of a family film. So what audience they were aiming at in films like this I am not sure. Some of the dialogue is not so great but there was enough going on to keep this viewer entertained.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:1, topic:2641”][url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Blutigen_Geier_von_Alaska,_Die[/url]

Like the White Fang films there are moments of violence that are unsuitable for young children, but then alot of the content is of a family film. So what audience they were aiming at in films like this I am not sure. Some of the dialogue is not so great but there was enough going on to keep this viewer entertained.[/quote]

Often asked myself the same question in relation to both the Winnetou and the White Fang movies

The first Winnetou movie, Treasure of Silver Lake, wasn’t particularly aimed at children (I think it got an 14 rating in most countries), but most of the later movies were. Still some had quite violent scenes, especially the later ones. The films are far more violent than the books (Winnetou and Shatterhand hardly ever kill opponents, most conflicts are solved in pacifist manner); At the base of all these White Fang and White Fang-ish movies, are the novels of Jack London. They’re not literal adaptations, but his spirit is present in most movies. Now the novels by Jack London weren’t aimed at children, at least no the unabridged publications. Maybe the films were meant to be family entertainment, but some of the violence of the novels and - of course - the sagheti western kept oozing in

Nothing entertaining about this film in my opinion. Started off okay but then it just dragged and didn’t manage to redeem itself. My rating: 1/5

Hellhounds of Alaska has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like