The Great Silence (UK Version, Eureka Video)

Just watched this version for the second time in a week. Can’t add much more than has been said elsewhere on here. Great film, beautifully shot (at times), great score, glad that the happy ending wasn’t used. I mean, how on earth would the sheriff escape the freezing river ?

Some questions though!

On the DVD it states that the “alternative” was made for Asian and North African markets yet elsewhere on the forum I believe someone said that it was North American. Which is correct?

On the trailer, during the very end shot, Silence is clearly talking, please explain. I think on the thread for the film itself it has been said that Trintignant did this on the alternate ending shots. I don’t see this, he smiles but no lip movement.

Also on the trailer, the dialogue between the sheriff and Pauline, after the “potato” shooting, seems to be slightly different and from another angle possibly. Were there 2 English dialogue prints?

I know some of you seasoned “spaggers” will help me out! Thanks!

[quote=“Mejimbo, post:1, topic:1179”]Just watched this version for the second time in a week. Can’t add much more than has been said elsewhere on here. Great film, beautifully shot (at times), great score, glad that the happy ending wasn’t used. I mean, how on earth would the sheriff escape the freezing river ?

Some questions though!

On the DVD it states that the “alternative” was made for Asian and North African markets yet elsewhere on the forum I believe someone said that it was North American. Which is correct?

On the trailer, during the very end shot, Silence is clearly talking, please explain. I think on the thread for the film itself it has been said that Trintignant did this on the alternate ending shots. I don’t see this, he smiles but no lip movement.

Also on the trailer, the dialogue between the sheriff and Pauline, after the “potato” shooting, seems to be slightly different and from another angle possibly. Were there 2 English dialogue prints?

I know some of you seasoned “spaggers” will help me out! Thanks![/quote]

Trailer: it’s not unusual that scenes that are not in the movie (or alternative takes) appear in the trailer. See for instance the trailer for Arizona Colt: the Gemma - Pazzafini fight has a lot of scenes taken from different angles

Trintignant speaking in the trailer: seems a pratical joke from Corbucci, he liked this kind of things. He also once said that he hated westerns!

Alternative ending (AE) : this is a complicated issue. The film wasn’t released theatrically in North America, so the AE was not shot for that market. North Africa + Japan are still possibilities, but it seems impossible to find conclusive evidence that it was ever used overthere (or ever used at all). See also not 4 of the review:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Great_Silence_Review

Thanks for your help scherpschutter.
As one of the new boys in town I know that some of my questions may have been answered before or may seem trivial but it’s nice that you guys are taking the time to help me.

spaggers… nice one :wink:

Hello Friends!!

I just watched THE GREAT SILENCE (Region 1) last night. Terrific film. Is the Region 1 uncut? It ran 105 mins.

blonde66

safe to say, I think…

Pre-order this magnificent upcoming edition of The Great Silence:

1 Like

Here is my review

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Great_Silence_BluRay_review_(UK)

Info on their standard edition re-release added to the database yesterday

Maybe a stupid question, but I was comparing the bluray (reviews) before buying.

The USA releases says:

• Subtitles: English (dubtitles)

The UK version states:

• Subtitles: newly translated English (optional)

But isn’t it almost always the case for a spaghetti western (or other movie) that the choice is either:
I’m only comparing English and Italian here.

English spoken and English SDH subs (if available) or no subs
Italian spoken with optional English subs (not SDH)

So I don’t get the dubtitles remark in the USA release.
Aren’t the UK also dubtitles?
Or do you mean something else.

Thanks a lot
Grt

The UK release has proper subtitles, not dubtitles

3 Likes

In that case dubtitles are following or representing the English dub, while the other subtitles are an English translation of the original Italian audio.

1 Like