The Great Silence / Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

Nice site. I just pulled this info from there:

Il grande silenzio - naz.: Italia/Francia - regĂ­a: Sergio Corbucci - v.c. n. 52578 del 31.10.68 - m. 2876 - ppp: 19/11/68 - c. pr.: Adelphia Compagnia Cinematografica - c. compr.: Films Corona, Nanterre (Francia).

In Francia: Le grand silence (27.01.69 - 90’) - In Germania Occ.: Leichen pflastern seinen Weg (21.02.69 - 105’)

Il mercenario - naz.: Italia/Spagna - regĂ­a: Sergio Corbucci - v.c. n. 52903 del 17.12.68 - m. 2835 - ppp: 20/12/68 - c. pr.: P.E.A. - Produzioni Europee Associate di Grimaldi Maria Rosaria e C.,Napoli / Produzioni Associate Delphos - c. compr.: Profilms 21, Madrid (Spagna).

In Spagna: Salario para matar (Madrid, 13.04.70) - In Francia: El mercenario (24.06.70 - 102’) - In Germania Occ.: Die Gefürchteten Zwei (22.04.69 - 107’) - In Usa: The Mercenary (1970 - 105’)

Does anyone have the Marco Giusti book to compare?

Yeah, nice site.

But the runtimes in meters are often enough wrong. We only can hope that the release dates are more accurate.

All the release dates in the database are mainly from this site. So are the runtimes, unless we have different runtimes from uncut DVDs, or other Italian versions.

That’s SW life: nothing is sure

And Scherp has the Giusti book.

Which basically sums up the entire genre.

I have the Giusti book and it is not as specific on actual dates, only years. It says:

The Great Silence - made in 67, released in 68.

The Mercenary - released in 1969.

Thanks Phil. That at least suggests that there may have been quite a gap between the two. The release date on anica.it of 19/11/68 for TGS seems unlikely to be correct for something completed at least almost one year before then.

And the entire film industry.

I’m sure Silence was made in winter 67/68. Normally SWs were released very fast, but there are always exceptions. Johnny Oro was shot in 65 before Django, but then not released after Django in July 66.

If I look at the release dates of Silence in other countries, I have no reason to doubt the November date.
Maybe they were unsure what to do with a film with such an ending.

What a nice western this was! This breaks the rules of a “typical” western, and I actually liked it very much. Acting is great, especially Klaus Kinski’s performance is astounding, Jean-Louis Trintignant is also great as “Silence”. I have always loved Mr. Morricone’s musics, but here’s one of the top soundtrack’s done by Ennio, you get that wintry feeling when watching this.

4,5 / 5 stars.

Well, I am new to this forum, I thought - “Where to put my first post?”. And is there a better place than the Corbucci’s second greatest movie (right after Django)?

So, I saw this movie a few times, I dedicated the last week to re-watching the greatest spaghetti westerns, among them - Il Grande Silenzio.

I always liked this movie for it’s unusual ending, even tho I never saw the “alternate happy” ending (nor I am going to), I must say I consider it a rather bad idea, since it crushes whole concept of the movie.

I’ve also always adored Corbucci’s idea of “power of hands”. As well as in Django, he puts the hands the first part of the gunman’s body by its value. Somewhere read it was inspired by passion of Christ and the Guevara’s hands being sent to Castro or something…

Anyway, to shorten the things up, I give (gave already) this movie a complete 5/5.

Excellent forum tho :wink:

I couldn’t agree with your review more jeremija - and welcome to the forum!

Thank you JW, glad you agree with me :smiley:

According to information from an Italian forum, the new Italian DVD (MEDUSA) have as extras two alternative endings. I knew only one alternate ending. Does anyone know anything about that ?

The 2007 Japanese DVD has two endings on the Extras Menu - ENDING and HAPPY ENDING.
The ENDING is the same as on the movie itself, except the rolling script about the “1898 Snow Hill Massacre” is in Italian (instead of English).
There is a similar thing for the start of the movie - OPENING, where the opening credits are in Italian (instead of English).
That is the only thing I could imagine it will be.

I consider the normal ending to be somewhat happy as well since that postscript says that the evil bounty hunters were disbanded shortly afterwards because of the massacre.

I gave it four stars. I didn’t want to give it five because I feel it gets a little overrated; maybe because of the shocking and bleak ending. A lot of people seem to by default rate it as the best spaghetti after Leone’s films, but it simply isn’t for me. However, it definitely stands out from the crowd at least, and I wish more westerns were set in the snow. Beautifully shot and amazing music.

This movie is similar if not a revised remake of No Name on the Bullet. 1957 I think.

Really? Please explain.

No Name on the Bullet is about a notorious hired gun (a miscast Audie Murphy) whose appearance in a small town makes many people with a past nervous, cause they all think they are the killer’s new job.

I have seen it some 20 years ago, but I can’t remember any Great Silence similarities.

If there are similarities, they are really vague

Interesting movie, by the way, one of the better town westerns of the fifties. The town and the townspeople no longer funtion as a mere background to the hero’s (and villain’s) exploits, but are at the centre of attention: their reaction to things happening (here the arrival of a notorious gunslinger) is in fact more important than the things Murphy is doing in this movie (if I remember it well - saw it long time ago - he’s not doing a great deal).

The mute guy is the in silince is the same character as autry. The movies are differnt but have the same underlining plot