The Grand Duel aka The Big Showdown

This is one of the 70’s SWs that Lee Van Cleef made for all the people who hate the rest of his 70’s Pasta/Euro-westerns. The plot concerns Philip Vermeer, a fugitive from the law, and the various factions that are after him. The most powerful of these are the Saxons (headed by 70s SW regular Horst Frank), a powerful local dynasty at war with Vermeer’s family and followers. The most interesting, however, is an enigmatic ex-lawman named Clayton (LVC), who might best be described as an older Dirty Harry.

There is some Sabata-style acrobatics by Vermeer. The good news is that it comes off as a lot less over the top in this movie: Vermeer’s not a circus act, just a very athletic young guy who will do anything to get away from his attackers. The stuff he does just doesn’t seem silly in the way that the goings-on in the two Sabata movies I’ve seen do. This is a pretty low-budget movie, with LVC by far and away the most expensive thing in it. This isn’t one of those movies where the sets look fake, so much as they look dirty and lived in. Lots of atmosphere, some good shootouts, a nice dark sense of humor, really nasty villains, and a better than average LVC performance. Some of the editing is very well done, some of it isn’t, and the same is true of Bacalov’s score. There’s some problems with the plot, none of them particularly awful. It was fairly entertaining but no more than I expected. Directed by the guy who was originally slated to direct DYS, then demoted to second unit work when the stars demanded Leone.

This film already has a thread Dutch Engstrom.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,199.0.html

Please check wether a films already has a thread before you open one, else it’s going to be very difficult finding anything in here. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dorado, post:2, topic:650”]This film already has a thread Dutch Engstrom.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,199.0.html

Please check wether a films already has a thread before you open one, else it’s going to be very difficult finding anything in here. :)[/quote] This movie has a poll to see what the fans rate it. Not any serious discussion.

What they would like for you to do here is vote on the film in the poll then place your comments about the movie in the threads below. I don’t know if the discussion is serious enough for you, amigo…but, there are three pages of it!

This is how all of the discussions for films are done at this forum. You will notice that each title has a poll at the beginning and the discussions follow.

Anyway, as for GRAND DUEL…it is OK. It has a marvelous musical score by Bacalov, great performance from Lee Van Cleef (of course), and some nice action scenes. But, overall…it just doesn’t work for me.

horst frank vs lee van cleef! that’s a real duel!!!