The Good, the Bad, the Weird / Jo-eun nom nappeun nom isanghan nom (Jee-woon Kim, 2008)

From the Director of A Bittersweet Life comes a western! I can’t wait for this film. My most aniticipated western followed by Sakiyuki Western Django and The Assassination of Jesse James!

looks interesting :slight_smile:

Korean director Kim Ji-woon (A Bittersweet Life, Tale of Two Sisters) has already started filming The Good, The Bad and the Weird. The movie is obviously Sergio Leone-inspired and the Korean cast is just superb.

Good - Kang-ho Song (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Host)
Bad - Byung-hun Lee (JSA, A Bittersweet Life)
Weird - Woo-sung Jung (Musa The Warrior, Daisy, Sad Movie)

^^ Kang-ho Song is one of the most popular Korean actors and having The Host become such a huge cult only helped his reputation. After watching Memories of Murder I was awestruck…literally. I am bewildered this project actually exist. Having these three actors appear in the same film - a pseudo Spaghetti Western - blows my mind. Be sure to check out all the films I listed in this post. Especially Dasiy and Memories of Murder.

People, especially Taratino fanboys are excited about Miike’s upcoming Django film but personally this is the western I think will please fans overall. I mean come on… A Bittersweet Life has references to multiple spaghetti westerns (i.e. Django Kill, TGBAU) so that has me convinced the director is at least aware of the genre.

Yeah, I am really interested in seeing this one, too.

I agree that the cast is excellent!
And I like some of the director’s previous work, as well.
Didn’t care a great deal for A TALE OF TWO SISTERS (it was well done, but not my type of movie, really). However, I thought A BITTERSWEET LIFE was outstanding.
Everything I’ve read and seen about THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE WEIRD makes me really want to see it!

Here’s a little more info., if you anyone is interested:

Great link!

I’ve not seen ANY photos so this makes my days.


First footage of the film

The cast and crew of KIM Jee-woon’s hotly anticipated western The Good, The Bad, The Weird has overcome extreme weather and unexpected delays to wrap up a 100-day shoot in China.

Production of the film is now 80% complete, with the remaining 20% of shooting to take place in North Jeolla Province. A release is expected in the first half of 2008.

International sales agent Cineclick Asia will present a new promo reel of the film for buyers at the upcoming American Film Market in November.

100 days of shooting? GEEZ!

THe trailer is awesome. My enthusiasm for the film is back.

Saw this in another forum and I am very interested in it. I’m looking forward to compare it with Sukiyaki Western Django.

Don’t know if this works, but Kim Jee-Woon is a very promising director and A Bittersweet Life is a great film. Intelligent and violent.

Hope this one is good. We need more decent westerns nowadays.

It is. I saw it last night.

Watched this last night. Pretty awesome, in a modern styled all out action film meets spaghetti western kinda way. The ending was very cool, and I liked the music with whistling synthesizers replacing a dude’s whistling

I just put up a review of it here at the DB:

It’s the first film I saw from Song Kang-ho and, of course, he stole the show as chubby-cheeked train robber Tae-goo. The relationship between him and Do-won isn’t as intimate as their counterparts (in fact, their original counterparts’ relationship was one that bordered on aggressive homoeroticism, not that that’s a bad thing), but it was fun while it lasted. The highlights of the film include the Ghost Market fight, which, in the film’s funniest scene, has Tae-goo wearing a diving helmet for protection (which also proves very tight on his head), and the subsequent scene where Do-won and Tae-goo have a little conversation where we’re prematurely revealed the latter’s true identity. The extended ending is divided between people, but personally, it’s one of my favourites.
It’s a bit messy in places, but I recommend it.

Finally got around to watching it. Lots of excellent action, stunts and fights, and the almost now typical overproduction coming out of Korean studios. Some laughs, some twists, but overall, wayyy too long and just a bit boring in the end. Could’ve done with 60min less and some belt-tightening.


It’s a fantastic movie imo; very overblown, yes, but in the good way. A lot of fun. I agree though that shaving 30mins or so from the run time may well have propelled The Good, the Bad, the Weird into true classic status.