The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

If you’re referring to the Italian version, yes, but I think most people are asking about the extended vs the US theatrical version.

The grotto scene was actually never part of any Italian version, but it was presented to the censorship committee together with a shortened version to get a 14 rating. But still was not included in that re-release. Intended re-release most likely, this shorter version was maybe never released according to this :

Of course, but I view it still as the Italian version, despite the including of the grotto scene. Apart from that, in fact the original Italian version remains so far unreleased on DVD or Blu. A mess, but only a small one.

Was this at the Scala King’s Cross by any chance? I saw it twice there - once as part of a Clint Eastwood all-nighter, and the second time might have been in a double-bill with Django when that got its belated UK release.

I also saw the 161-minute version at the NFT (as was), introduced by Quentin Tarantino, and the BFI rep said that the print they were originally going to show was in such poor condition (presumably the 148-minute one) that they borrowed the longer print from ITV, which was using it for their broadcasts at the time.

(Tarantino’s opening line was: “What can you say? It’s a religious experience.” Can’t argue with that)

One of the screenings was at University in the early 1980s and I think the other must have been at the Scala as I saw loads of stuff there. Not with Django or an Eastwood all nighter though.

I thought the grotto scene was in the Rome theatrical premiere, but that Leone removed it after that for the widespread releases. Have I been misinformed all this time?

1 Like