The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

I didnā€™t enjoy it when I saw it. I think it was the lighter tone. I didnā€™t like the lighter Spags like One Dollar too Many. I had this rigid vision of what they were. I have softened on the comedy spaghetti westerns and enjoy the difference in the genre. I may give it another try.

I like ā€˜Paint Your Wagonā€™.

1 Like

Donā€™t do posters like that anymore!!

No offence to Stanton, (whom I respect), I like the film.

No apologies for loving this film.

ā€˜PAINT YOUR WAGONā€™ 1969

Saw it on the big screen, when it was released.

As a child, I barely remember itā€¦and probably most remember seeing clips of Lee Marvin on ā€˜Top of the Popsā€™, singing ā€˜Wandringā€™ Starā€™ which got to no. 1ā€¦

The film has cracking tunes, great acting from Lee Marvin, who seems to reprise his role from ā€˜Cat,Ballouā€™, and a subdued, but entertaining performance from Clint Eastwood.
Jean Seberg is gorgeous.

Never mind the singingā€¦the story is entertaining, and it is musical that I never grow tired of, seeing. Clint, and Lee, onscreen, is wonderfulā€¦

I LOVE IT!!

1 Like

Iā€™m a fan of Pink Cadillac. It was funny. I liked it the same way I liked Bronco Billy. Sending up the tough guy image without spoofing himself.
The one I had to warm to was Firefox.

Firefox is terrible ā€¦ but I still watch it - saw it twice in the cinema when it first came out ā€¦ even in 1981 it was iffy ā€¦ but itā€™s sort of good bad ! :wink:

1 Like

Heh yeah but we all love a bit of Clint! :+1::cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

They went even furtherā€¦ Returning home about 5:30 in the morning, thatā€™s not really ideal!

2,00 AM

1 Like

My favourite western and tied with Sin City as my all time favourite film, GBU is an absolute masterpiece. Every scene in this film is amazingly directed, it has a perfect blend of tragedy and comedy, and the last ten-fifteen minutes of the film in Sad Hill is my favourite climax in any film ever, with ā€˜ā€˜Ecstasy of Goldā€™ā€™ and ā€˜ā€˜The Trioā€™ā€™ doing an amazing job of telling us what is happening without having a character/narrator ramble on for five hours, not to mention the intensity of the final duel between the three hombres. This film is perfectly paced(an amazing feat for a three hour long film) and never has a dull moment. Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach all have great chemistry together.

3 Likes

Do you have a preference for one of the versions? For the US cut or for the longer Italian version?

I like the longer version more(although itā€™s in English, not Italian; I canā€™t bring myself to watch it in Italian because I donā€™t want to miss out on the vocal performances of the three main characters), and how we get an explanation as to how Tuco gets his friends to help kill Blondie, or the scene with Angel Eyes at the camp(heā€™s out of the movie for a bit too long for my taste otherwise),and the extended torture scene. Still love the US cut, though.

I prefer the longer version also, but have to admit that the film also works perfectly in the 163 min version. Even if the 178 min version has a few superfluous bits, it has some stuff I wonā€™t miss.
But the scene with Tuco hiring some friends (which does not belong in the Italian version) is one which makes the film drag in that part, and is one I skip.

I like that scene; it might be a bit goofy, but Tuco is a goofy character. Itā€™s perfectly fitting, IMO.

I wince at the scene at the camp where Tuco is beaten.

2 Likes

Ah yes; always a deliciously brutal scene.

ā€˜ā€˜Play that fiddle, you!ā€™ā€™

Story of a Soldier makes it even more brutal, somehow. Such a beautiful song used to silence the pain of the sufferingā€¦

Very!!! The band members have this haunted look on their faces. Itā€™s chilling.
Personal pain too. Somebody shoved their thumbs in my eyes at school. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

SAD HILL CEMETERY

Itā€™s on my bucket list to visit this iconic locationā€¦

https://youtu.be/isdydYylyaw

3 Likes

In a week. To suppor the SWDb, use our Amazon link:

fixed the info in the database about the Italian 4K edition.

Also, here you find a comparison of screenshots
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=17363&d2=15793&c=1687

The Italian disc is a 174min version with the MGM master, the Kino is the shorter US theatrical cut but with Kinoā€™s own color grading doneā€¦