The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

Wow ! Talk about research or what.

Here is part 2 of the found-footage report regarding The Good, The Bad and The Ugly http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.de/2016/06/unseen-footage-from-good-bad-and-ugly_7.html

1 Like

I think I saw Belle going by on a cart in the climax…

Nice little article today in Paste Mag

1 Like

Where can I find this capture of the Tele 5 TV broadcast?

Can anyone send me a DVD-R of the fan edit? I really want to see the Italian cut with the original English mono audio.

Christmas connection with ‘The Good, The Bad & The Ugly’.

With Christmas just around the corner, and with a viewing of ‘GBU’ on my cards for the coming week, I thought I’d share this wee nugget of ‘Spaghetti folklore’. To some of you, it may be old news, and to others it may be an eye-opener…

Firstly, I love Christmas; and, secondly, ‘The Good, The Bad & The Ugly’ has been my No.1. Film, of all-time, since 1976. The 50th Anniversary viewing, this year, will be especially poignant.

And now for the Christmas connection…

Approx. half-way through the film, the P.O.W. camp scene (in which ‘Tuco’ is savagely beaten), features a now classic song called ‘The Story of a Soldier’; with, of course, music by 'Il Maestro, Ennio Morricone.

The lyrics for this haunting melody were provided by a British man, by the name of ‘Tommie Connor’. If you look at Morricone’s ‘credit’, at the beginning of the film, you will also see Tommie Connor’s name.

The following is taken from ‘Wikipedia’:

Thomas Patrick “Tommie” Connor (16 November 1904 – 28 November 1993) was an English songwriter, credited with several hit songs over his long career. Most notable among these was “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”, which has been recorded by many artists and is among the most-played Christmas songs played on American radio. This was one of several non-religious Christmas songs that he wrote, others being “The Little Boy that Santa Claus Forgot” and “I’m Sending a Letter to Santa”.

He was born and raised in the West End of London to parents of Irish descent. He had five children of his own, born to his wife Catherine Connor (née McCarthy). He lived in London for most of his life interspersed with spells in parts of the US, namely Los Angeles and New York.

In the 1966 Western The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, he provided lyrics to “The Story of a Soldier”.

Hopefully, this will be news to a few of you…
Toscano.

1 Like

Well, just as a follow-up to the previous, re: Tommie Connor, I’ve just discovered the following.

For those of you, who are of a certain age (myself included), it appears that Tommie Connor also wrote the lyrics for ‘O’Rafferty’s Motor Car’: which, I remember, as a child, being performed with customary grace by the late, great Val Doonican.

I think I knew about Tommie Connor writing ‘Story of a Soldier’ already. Thanks for the information!

Personally, I’ve care not a wit or a woo when it comes to watching an extended version of a film that I adore…
If you love a film, you wish to see more of it…and I love the ‘full’ version of ‘GBU’.

Still looking for a fandub of the Italian disc if anybody has it. The new Blu-ray from MGM has the original mono apparently. I hope somebody uses it to make a fan edit of Italian version. The image quality on the Blu looks even worse than MGM’s DVDs.

It doesn’t, if you mean the 2nd Blu, not the older heavily filtered one.

It is only a bit too yellowish.

I agree. The most recent single-disc MGM blu-ray is the best English-language release out there notwithstanding the slight yellowish tinge. In addition to the original mono audio, I think they slightly lowered the pitch of Eli Wallach’s newly dubbed lines so as to better match his younger voice.

But longer is not always better. And in some cases longer versions begin to hurt a film, cause the film begins to lose his perfect balance.
For GBU I prefer the longer Italian version (without the grotto scene) to the 161 min English version, but only for a tiny bit, as it was already a perfect film in the 161 min version.
But with the Grotto scene GBU is s little bit weaker. It’s great to have the scene, but only as bonus on a disc, not as part of the actual film.
Same with the lost Socorro scene. I would like to see that, but if it one day surfaces, please not within the film.

And in the case of OUTW, that short scene at the beginning with Bronson nursing his wound at the railway station really destroys a brilliant idea.

Isn’t the Italian release still better in terms of picture quality? I really want the option of watching the Italian cut without the grotto scene.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JQ8HW7G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thequentint07-21

The comments are still complaining about the yellow print. can anybody post some screen-shots?

I feel like it’s ground hog day :wink: Haven’t we all been through the yellow/blue discussion a number of times? :wink:

There’s definitely too much yellow in it. But I can live with that. I turned the colors a bit down while watching it, and then it is absolutely ok.
But then picture quality is rarely a real problem for me. What makes film great lies mainly elsewhere. More important than sharpness or colors is the correct aspect ratio and the possibility to see the uncut version. But GBU was already a masterpiece for me when watched on a VHS fullscreen tape, everything was already there that makes the film a masterpiece, even if in that version the picture composition was destroyed, but still imaginable.

The inclusion of the grotto scene is the real bummer (comparatively), but then unlike a missing scene, you can skip it.

Ohhh and, of course, in about 2 or 3 years we surely will get the next newly remastered edition of GBU.

I am new to Blu-ray. :wink:

So far I have A Fistful of Dollars (RHV DVD) and For a Few Dollars More (Paramount Special Edition) and I’m really satisfied with those. All I need is a nice copy of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and I’ll be content. Hopefully a fandub of the Italian version until a better release comes along.So, if anybody has any DVD or BD-Rs, send me a message!

One thing about TGTB&TU is that it is a prequel to Fistul Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More. The obvious clue is when Blondie goes to take his coat back from the dying soldier but picks the green poncho instead. The second indicator is that the scene in a Fistful Of Dollars where Joe has put the dead bodies in position in the graveyard, the cross on the grave says Died 187(8) I think, it is certainly some years after the end of the civil war. For A Few Dollars More seems to be set in the second half of the 19th century also, which makes TGTB&TU the earliest film in the timeline. I guess most people here already know this but I wanted to share it as it has always stayed with me (being an absolute lover of the Dollar trilogy).