The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

An article on the restoration of Sad Hill Cemetery from last week, really cool to hear about this! Thereā€™s also a place to donate, a ā€œSponsor a Tombā€ section where you can donate money to clean one of the tombs:

https://asociacionculturalsadhillen.wordpress.com/collaborate/

Cool. Sponsor a fictional headstone? Sounds neat.

I think the run is cute.

The bit with the chicken was awkward. As soon as that was over I pretended it never happened. Beautiful set and cinematography as always though.

I have inquiries also about Wallachā€™s Western wear. Tucoā€™s, really.
The first is about those studdedā€¦ what do you call them? Those tan flares around his trousers in a good part of the movie. What do you call those?
Also those black boots at the end? Those are nice. I noticed the pretty little pattern on them which is hard to see through all the dirt. Did Simi design them or else where were they bought?

Rumors this is coming from Criterion againā€¦

Great! I hope they retain the colour-timing they perfected on the last release. :slight_smile:

Why do these links indicate a kind of rumour?

Actually it would be great to have a Criterion release, as MGM isnā€™t willing to release the film properly.

Properly? What do you mean properly?

Correct colours, the original mono audio (away with that 5.1. shitty shit), away with the grotto scene in the bonus section, and the international (161 min) and the Italian version (175 min) on seperate discs.
And on a third disc the famous so called Stanton cut (172 min).

Right

!!! (weā€™re not here)

The standalone US BD of the 4K remaster does include the original mono (accept for the reinstated scenes).

https://www.criterion.com/people/120836

OK, cool. Iā€™d been wondering what colour Tucoā€™s jacket actually was in the final scene? Was it brown, or reddish brown?

I know.

It would be necessary to make a better dub for the new scenes. It is possible to alter the voices so that they sound closer to the original.
In the early 90s German TV did this to the long version of Viscontiā€™s Ludwig, and it was nearly perfect.

Chaps! Those ā€œflaresā€ are called chaps.

2 Likes

Aww, I love that! Iā€™ve been inspired to wear a belt and suspenders thanks to this movie.

Whatā€™s that thing hanging around Eliā€™s neck? Not the choker, the other thing. I wonder what that thing is?

New article on the film

1 Like

Not crazy, asinine (joking)
I find I only love FFD more after I watch GBU, i like the fanboy in me transition that happens from the end of GBU to the beginning of FFD when the man with no name rides into town, us knowing all he just went thru lol