The Fugitive (1972)

A couple years ago when the vast library of Shaw Brothers movies finally saw the light of DVD via the painstaking restorations done by Celestial Pictures, there were a large number of rare, obscure and unknown films. One of them was a nifty little Eastern love letter to the Italian westerns. It was directed by the underrated director, Tsang Tseng Chai. Lo Lieh starred alongside award winning actor, Ku Feng. The action scenes were incredibly over the top, yet filled with lots of energy. I did a review back in early 2007 but updated it recently and added it to my site yesterday with a plethora of pics…

anyone seen this?

Me! ;D

Lasky has seen it.

Sounds very interesting. :slight_smile:

BTW Tsui Hark’s Peking Opera Blues is like a Zapata! ;D

Chang Cheh did three movies that resembled westerns in some form or other.

INVINCIBLE FIST (1969) starred Lo Lieh as an honorable constable who was after a gang that had robbed a large gold shipment and he is hired, along with his men to get it back. A lot of treachery ensues. The SW connection comes in a lot of the close ups, the sweatiness of the faces…It was remade as a much more doom laden affair in 1980 as KILLER CONSTABLE, one of the best, most downbeat (and that’s saying something) and best looking Asian actioners.

THE ANONYMOUS HEROES (1971) starred David Chiang and Ti Lung and Ching Li as three friends who secretly steal guns and ammo for Chinese revolutionaries. The movie is somewhat lighthearted but turns deadly serious at the end. There’s a train heist sequence that’s pretty good till a shoddy effects scene of the train being derailed into a river.

THE SAVAGE FIVE (1974) is the most obvious. The story could easily be equated to SEVEN SAMURAI, but the atmosphere and the way the film plays out is closer to a western. Here, five unlikely heroes come together to save a town from a ruthless band of killers that have stolen a safe.

Yes i have indeed seen THE FUGITIVE along with the three Chang Cheh movies(all highly recommended especially THE SAVAGE FIVE for sw addicts!)

Here’s what i posted elsewhere about THE FUGITIVE:-

"Just watched this movie in full and its the most blatant stab at a spaghetti western i’ve seen from the Shaw Brothers .Its absolutely brilliant, easily the best kung fu western i’ve seen and if it was Italian in origin i’d say it would sit comfortably in the top 20 at the very least.

The story is similar to Carlo Lizzani’s HILLS RUN RED in that two bank robbers split,one taking the loot and running while the other takes the can in jail.The robber with the loot changes his identity setting himself up in a life of luxury as a corrupt patriarch running a town.The robber in jail(Lo Lieu) is betrayed by his partner by being left to rot and is further double crossed once he does manage to escape.

All the sw elements are here in this tale of revenge with wind swept landscapes and sound effects,bloody shoot-outs with Great Silence-like automatic pistols,crushed and broken gun hands,the obligatory final duel and to accompany this is huges chunks of Morricones music from ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST,a bit of DUCK YOU SUCKER amongst other excellent tracks.And with all the usual Shaw Brother kung fu brilliance i’m not hesistating in rating this film a well deserved 10 out of 10."

[quote=“Lasky, post:6, topic:1541”]Yes i have indeed seen THE FUGITIVE along with the three Chang Cheh movies(all highly recommended especially THE SAVAGE FIVE for sw addicts!)

Here’s what i posted elsewhere about THE FUGITIVE:-

"Just watched this movie in full and its the most blatant stab at a spaghetti western i’ve seen from the Shaw Brothers .Its absolutely brilliant, easily the best kung fu western i’ve seen and if it was Italian in origin i’d say it would sit comfortably in the top 20 at the very least.

The story is similar to Carlo Lizzani’s HILLS RUN RED in that two bank robbers split,one taking the loot and running while the other takes the can in jail.The robber with the loot changes his identity setting himself up in a life of luxury as a corrupt patriarch running a town.The robber in jail(Lo Lieu) is betrayed by his partner by being left to rot and is further double crossed once he does manage to escape.

All the sw elements are here in this tale of revenge with wind swept landscapes and sound effects,bloody shoot-outs with Great Silence-like automatic pistols,crushed and broken gun hands,the obligatory final duel and to accompany this is huges chunks of Morricones music from ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST,a bit of DUCK YOU SUCKER amongst other excellent tracks.And with all the usual Shaw Brother kung fu brilliance i’m not hesistating in rating this film a well deserved 10 out of 10." [/quote]

^ What Lasky said.
This is a must see for any SW/Shaw fan.

Definately worth a watch

Phil, this is one of the ones i told you about

been looking around trying to find a copy of this, xploited still has it in stock for anyone interested