The Forgotten Pistolero / Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria (Ferdinando Baldi, 1969)

Wasn’t a HD version released on Amazon Prime, or one of the streaming services? - It was available on Youtube in HD (Albeit in low-ish resolution)

Actually this one has grown on me lately. I gotta say that Baldi had an interesting variety of Spaghs in his filmography, none like the other. Which is something I appreciate.

2 Likes

Very good observation! I could have done without Little Rita and the Carambola movies though. :laughing: I really love the run he went on with Django, Prepare a Coffin, Hate Thy Neighbor, and this one. Three very nice films over the course of two years though The Forgotten Pistolero is undoubtedly my favorite.

2 Likes

Don’t forget about Blindman! Which is in some ways his Magnum Opus in my opinion.

1 Like

No disrespect to Blindman at all. I just meant that I was impressed that he directed three such memorable films in the genre in the course of two years.

I still find it hard to believe this and particularly Blindman haven’t had HD treatment yet.

In every way in mine.

Indeed. I just watched the 1080p version from Amazon Prime which runs 1h23m24s.

I must say, I’m a bit shocked at such an overwhelming positive reception to this title in this thread. I wasn’t expecting much, loved the opening scene, but just continued to go downhill from this point on. I was so incredibly bored with it by the time I reached the last 20 min, I began to fastforward a bit and when I stopped, I landed on that damned theme song again and I shut it off. The removal of that song alone would have done wonders to improve this film… it is constantly played over and over, and soooo annoying. Its like the spaghetti westerned themed version of “My Way” - every time it played I couldn’t help but sing along in my head “I did it … myyyy wayyyy”

Interesting, I love the music in this, and the finale. it’s kind of greek play type story and drama that we see again and again in spaghetti westerns (family betrayal, lost brother, everything falling apart)

1 Like

Absolutely agree, love the music in this. It’s a very good spag in my book.

Its really just the one main song that keeps playing constantly which drives me crazy. The rest of the music may be alright. I will revisit the movie sometime down the line and maybe my opinion will change, since its clearly appreciated by many. Maybe I just wasn’t in the right mood for this kind of spaghetti, especially after just having watched My Name Is Pecos

Both that song and the lead actor annoyed me quite a bit though (Leonard Mann/Sebastian). That guy looks ridiculous to the point of being distracting

It doesn’t help that although the Amazon HD print is the best available, it does look a bit waxy and makes that guy look even more silly.

I will also say that when I listen to the theme via the youtube videos posted, its much better than the song in the movie, which always enters at exactly the same point, and its this point of the song that I really do not like. Starting about 1m30s (I did it myyyy waaayyy :joy:) Up until that part, the song is quite good. That part is so annoying when its played in every other scene

2 Likes

Good observation … yeah that’s ruined it for me forever more ! LOL

2 Likes

I must be remembering a different flick, I remember loving this movie to bits

2 Likes

Everyone seems to love it except for me. I read through this entire thread and only saw one poster with similar remarks to mine - everyone else loved it and obviously its in the alt. top 20

Well, there are certainly some titles I love that don’t get much respect, I guess it goes all ways

1 Like

I like this one and I love the music, but I would agree that it’s not quite good enough to be in the alt. top twenty. I prefer Texas Adios, Viva Django and Blindman largely because I like Nero, Hill and Anthony a lot more than Mann.

1 Like

I recently came across the trailer for the HD Japanese version and it looks gorgeous:

Is this possibly the same version as what’s streaming on Amazon? It’s surprising (and a shame,) that there’s no high quality recent European release. I’d love to own a copy.

1 Like

Its possibly the same but no idea. There seems to be a lot of titles released in Japan on bluray long before they are released anywhere else, although the quality isn’t usually the best

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format.
Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).
For example, we’re missing any info on VHS releases. And we need a new synopsis for the main page I think.

@LankyGringo fixed that one, grazie!

The Forgotten Poll…

New poll up top for The Forgotten Pistolero :arrow_up:

1 Like

Got my evening’s viewing :smiley:

English Audio or Italian Audio with (removeable) Japanese subs. The 2nd disc was a shock to me; the box only mentions that it contains the DVD version. Makes it feel (and look) extra bootleg lol

Doesn’t bother me anyway since both disc’s quality is nicer than any of the online ones I’ve watched over the years, and I’m happy to finally have some kind of copy.

Now if only they included a soundtrack CD…

6 Likes