The Forgotten Pistolero / Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria (Ferdinando Baldi, 1969)

Father’s Day here in the UK so I get to control of the TV set. Quite a treat.
Made use of it so far by re-watching Forgotten Pistolero and was very glad I did. My memories of the film from last time were that it was pretty good but not one of the absolute best. I must admit it improved for me with this viewing. All the elements are there that I look for in a Spag and Baldi handles it all very well indeed. Great score of course but also the cast in some of their best form. Mann and Martell are never better than here for sure. Definitely goes up in my star rating to a very solid 4 out of 5. Maybe even a 17.9/20 in some other system.:wink:

1 Like

Just gave this a second viewing…

Much better than I remembered! Definetely earns a spot in my Alternative Top 20. A beautiful film.

Yip.

Seems to be a day for coincidences.

I sat down last week, and watched this…and even my wife enjoyed this one.

A very beautiful film, helped immeasurably by the superlative soundtrack!

1 Like

[quote=“Toscano, post:103, topic:631”]
A very beautiful film, helped immeasurably by the superlative soundtrack![/quote]

Yes, I gave it a half-assed viewing months ago and didn’t pay much attention. But my experience this time couldn’t have been more opposite. Totally agree about the OST, it sticks in your head for ages!

Dean,

There is, as we have both commented on, a very deep beauty to this film. It is not easy to pin-point, but I would strongly suggest that the soundtrack has a heck of a lot to do with it.

Also: remember that ‘Forgotten Pistolero’, revolves around a dis-jointed family…and it does - until the last explanatory scenes - act as a ‘Whodunnit’

Just watched this one again. It’s not a masterpiece but it’s a good film. My rating: 3/5

Haven’t watched this one for years, I remember liking it though. I do like Baldi, I’ve only seen four of his westerns, this, Viva Django, Texas Adios and Blindman and they’re all above solid efforts for me with the latter being in my top 40. Should give them a re-watch and have a go at some of his others too.

watched this recently - the Wild East DVD - thoroughly enjoyed it.
I agree the soundtack is amazing - got the CD on order from eBay - 3 left if anyone wants one:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICALIZZI-PREGADIO-GUNMEN-OF-AVE-MARIA-spaghetti-Western-Soundtrack-CD-/292095677608?hash=item44024254a8:g:wz8AAOSwstxVD-lr

This is the first Wild East film I’ve seen - very impressed. Looking forward to watching the other 20 films on 11 DVDs I’ve recently purchased.

…and more on order - happy days :grin:

A big hearty welcome to ‘SWDB’, nice to have you here.

2 Likes

Thank you very much

Welcome! Yeah grab every Wild East DVD while you can, they go out of print pretty quickly :slight_smile:

And I do need to buy this OST still, thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

After having watched it more than 5 times in 1.5 year I still rate it as a 7/10. The music and landscapes are very nice. The story is not too simple and mixed with an attractive (partly) upper class family drama theme including its contrasting Viennese waltz. The beauty of Pilar Velázquez adds quality IMO.Forgotten%20Pistolero%20Pilar%20Velasquez

According to IMDb it also was shot in Tembleque, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain. On Google Maps I quickly found a big square building with an inner “patio” in the pueblo of Tembleque (south of Madrid) which I guess could be where the murdered man and his wife resided. I haven’t found this place before on SW location web sites.
Google Maps

1 Like

The Google picture I linked to was actually not from Casa de las Torres, but rather Plaza Mayor so Google was wrong here in some respect. Since a street leads into Plaza Mayor you can watch it at Street View.

This title is another one currently streaming HD on Amazon Prime

in HD? Wow… hello this needs a BluRay asap

It’s been announced as coming from DigiDreams so it’s on it’s way :slight_smile:

I tried to explicitly not think of that fact :slight_smile:

There are starting to be so many streaming HD on Amazon, its as if soon all spags will be on there :cold_face:

1 Like

1 Like

The problem is they’ll be there for a while and then get taken off just when you want them. I’ve watched quite a few on Amazon over the past couple of years as they are really convenient to download and watch while commuting or during lunch break at work but I’ll never trust their reliability enough to ditch my discs.