The Forgotten Pistolero / Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria (Ferdinando Baldi, 1969)

Classic S.Western imo! :wink:

* The Cast. Every single damned character in this film offers a level of complexity that is rarely seen in this genre. This is likely because of the Hamlet plot where the characters are written to be complex. More specific, the actors are fantastic. People seem to rave about Giuliano Gemma, but I'll tell you one thing, Leonard Man and Pietro Martellanza both overshadow him tremendously in acting and in presence. Leonard Mann is simply a bad ass, and I think he's one of the best leads in the genre. Usually, when spaghettis pair up a duo of people, the second person always has to be a "second rate" character (think Tomas Millian). But the second character in this instance would be Pietro Martellanza, and he's just as awesome as Leonard Mann. These two leads are premium as premium can get in this genre without sporting a huge name, such as "Lee Van Cleef." Even the villains are obviously not "cheap" actors, and are easily memorable to say the least. It isn't often where you care for two people the EXACT same...
Agree with you Fendersrule, but I still have a feeling that acting could have been better. Nevertheless I was pleasantly surprised. Leonard was indeed great here. Not one of the best leading roles in spaghettis but still a great one. I prefer for example Richard Wyler in The bounty killer. And women... 8) [quote="chameleon, post:52, topic:631"]Classic S.Western imo! ;)[/quote] Precisely. I was truly delighted when I saw this one for the first time. A truly beautifully-made spaghetti western, aside from Blindman by far Baldi's best western. ::)

Personally, I’m not sure how any of the acting could be better to tell you the truth…

This one definitely takes a couple viewings to take everything in, unless you are a die-hard hamlet fan (which I’m not).

Still shocked why it took me 35 westerns to get through in order to find this one out…

1 Like

it’s good, nothing special for my tastes, the end it’s a bit bore and has nothing, one big villain with only one guard with him??? LOL
i expect a big gunfight at the end and i get nothing just a 5 or 6 bullet’s :slight_smile:

I thought it was one of the best endings of any SW… probably the best thing Baldi has directed, imo.

This is the only film in which all three the most active “Old Men” in the genre appear: Franco Pesce, Franco Gulà - both with just under 30 SWs to their credit - and Eugenio Galadini a.k.a. Graham Sooty (12 films, 7 serious and 5 comedies).

I agree with some of the previous comments. This is definitely an underrated gem. I love Spaghetti Westerns with great soundtracks and Forgotten Pistolero has an excellent soundtrack by Roberto Predagio. Especially the theme song [i]Ballata per un Pistolero (Ballad of a Gunman)[url]Ballata per un Pistolero (Ballad of a Gunman) (Track 4) - YouTube is absolutely magnificent! Also the actors do a decent job here. Young Leonard Mann is a bit wooden but considering that this was his second role ever, I think he manages to do a good job all in all. Luciana Paluzzi is the perfect choice for the female lead role, also Pilar Velázquez plays the part of Isabella nicely too and she definitely looks beautiful here! Visually Forgotten Pistolero looks good too, there are some scenes that stand out like the ending which shows Baldi’s talent. I’ve now seen just over 30 SW’s and Forgotten pistolero takes the place in my top-20.

There’s just something that I love about these kind of spaghetti westerns which have a powerful and tragic plot. For example 10,000 Dollars Blood Money, Vengeance is Mine and Johnny Hamlet come to my mind. I’m definitely interested in seeing other spaghetti westerns that are done in same way.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

1 Like

The weak point of Forgotten Pistolero is the flashback scene. Here we have again Baldi at his weakest. Unlike his earlier SWs, it is the only lame scene.

Why do you think so? Although it was far too long IMO, I don’t think it wasn’t that bad, it kinda worked for me. Of course not the best aspect of the flick.

At first a director should always think which action scenes a film needs and which not, and then how to shoot them, how to present them. The massacre of the General’s people is at first filmed very unimaginatively, and then it would be better to show it only indirect (only the gunfire in the background, and then later maybe the aftermath of the slaughter). It felt wrong for me to have such a conventional action directing for such a scene.
Apart from that was the whole flashback very conventional and in conflict with the film’s overall style.

Otherwíse the film is well directed, which is kinda surprising after Baldi’s early SWs.

Actually all action sequences were made rather sloppily, unconvincing and unexciting if you ask me. And the general’s demise could have been executed in a better way, you’re right.

Nah, I think the other action is well done, which I can’t say for most of the action scenes in the earlier Baldi westerns. But it is then Blindman in which he got the best out of himself.

Agreed.

Which doesn’t give me much hope for Baldi then because Blindman only works and is remembered due to when it came out. If it had been released in '66 or '68, it would probably be overlooked, lost in the shuffle. As it is, it is just as much nostalgia and “last of the true” feeling about it that means fans like it as it is the actual (dubious if fun) merits of the film.

Don’t see much difference for the release dates. In 1968 it would have been probably not possible to release it the was it was released in the 70s.

It is only for style his most assured film.

I agree, the first action scene when Rafael pretends dead looks very sloppy to me.
How opinions differ - to me film didn’t look very promising until that long flashback scene when all of the sudden it received more depth and grandeur plot-wise and look-wise.
That flashback/massacre scene together with fiery finale is the highlight of the movie for me.
I also like dancing scene for its costumed elegance - not something very often seen in SWs.

To be precise, I thought duel sequences were very well executed (Mann vs. Lulli and the last one), but shootouts were rather unimpressive I’d say. I liked the movie very much forasmuch the action sequences are rare and their slightly flawed execution never becomes that disturbing and Baldi focuses more on a psychological motive.

I love this movie dearly

1 Like

I think it is essential to recover the slightly longer original version, including two more scenes with Francisco (Piero Lulli) and a conclusive flashback.

Where did you get this information from?