The Forgotten Pistolero / Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria (Ferdinando Baldi, 1969)

http://imageshack.us

A review of Ferdinando Baldi’s masterpiece (according to some) is now available:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Forgotten_Pistolero_Review

1 Like

Excellent stuff as usual Scherp, and very informative.
I love these spaghettis with classical roots.

Great review Scherp. I find this one benefits from repeat viewings, more enjoyable each time.

Yes good review!

You say it’s slightly cut, is there a complete version out there somewhere, or has these scenes never been shown, not even in any theatrical version?

[quote=“Lindberg, post:24, topic:631”]Yes good review!

You say it’s slightly cut, is there a complete version out there somewhere, or has these scenes never been shown, not even in any theatrical version?[/quote]

The Italian DVD from Cecchi Gori has a running time of 88 minutes
I don’t own it but according to someone on the French forum, it has the three scenes I discribed ; the problem is that he has not seen the DVD himself, a third person had described the scenes to him. I posted a question about the Italian DVD on an Italian forum but so far there are no reactions.

I really don’t know what to think of this one. I had big expectations for it knowing that it wasn’t all action. I don’t dislike it at all but I just think there was too many dull moments. I found the greek tragedy/ soap opera esque plot very original and interesting. Without a doubt the best music of the genre. Also kind of diferent for Baldi whom I like. Leonard Mann didn’t bother too much but he would have been better if he stopped trying to be Guiliano Gemma. OK film.

Rewatched this one, the Wild East version rather than the Marketing Films one this time. Have to say i enjoyed it the first time but liked it even more with a second viewing. Still have to feel for Peter Martell’s predicament, and he certainly gives a much more animated performance than the somewhat bland Leonard Mann as the amnesiac son. Guess his away with the fairies air was suitable for playing such a role though! Lovely music too…absolutely beautiful. May have to dig out that soundtrack later.

I rewached this one lately a well. I keep trying to like it more. But the last time I watched it, it really ame through with the power of the finale. I hope the next time I watch it, this feeling will stay because I watched it last with a laptop in bed so I was tired and maybe less carring of the flaws. There is soemthing I like about Leonard Mann. Sure he is a little quiet but something about him avoids the pretty boy feel and he just seems so cool. Good movie. Even when I didn’t think I liked it, the respect I have for it made me keep trying to like it. od movie. new rating 4/5.

One of the best that i have seen from Baldi. Excellent music, good plot, nice clothes and it never got boring. 4/5

1 Like

One of the best of the genre, IMO and one of my favorite movies. The minimal action is balanced perfectly with the dramatic elements of the story. So many interesting characters here, too. I watch this one regularly.

1 Like

Just watched it and Yes it’s a great Movie. Like a Soap in SW Style. I was a bit confused about the end who was all sitting on the horses: Sebastian for sure but was it Isabella and Raphael on one Horse?

BTW Pilar Vilazquez as Isabella and Luciana Paluzzi as Anna were really gorgeous. ;D

1 Like

I agree this is great. The finale definitely leaves a lasting impression, I might have a different impression of the film if not for the ending. I really like Peter Martel’s sympathetic role, he’s my favourite character.

I know people who hate Peter Martell like hell. :smiley:

I do not mind the guy.

SOmehow he’s not really the kind of person I want to see in a SW. Don’t know why… he somehow doens’t fit…

I thought he was great when I saw him in Fury of Johnny Kidd last night. I don’t recall any problems with him in this either. Different strokes…

I like him in most of his SW roles

I haven’t seen Johnny Kid.

Well I must start by saying I really enjoyed this film, Baldi was skilful director, with great capacity in Artistic direction, even in his most Z type movies to end of his career.
We have a revenge story taken to the limits of drama, some flamenco (nice touch by the way, I love Flamenco), amoral characters some love craziness taken to the limits, and castration (poor Martell) all wrapped in a very soap opera style and a cool soundtrack, result: a nice SW, with all the ingredients mix in the right proportions and then taken to the limits in the drama department.
On the actors no complains there as well, Baldi could take the best from all, I think Martell was a better and more experienced actor than Mann, who never make it above the B side of pictures but was cool in SW, also the girls go very well of course Palluzi was an above the others actress in the SW world.
The story a classical tale deserved more than the 80 and something minutes of runtime, but again Baldi does wonders on putting everything to the screen without the viewer getting lost on the process, the dramatization and the soap opera style are in my view an upgrade to the film making this SW different from the others, but for the better, the dialogues also have some pedigree for a SW.
I haven’t seen all of Baldi SW’s, and can’t remember others I’ve seen like Comin at ya, I was disappointed when I second viewed Texas Addio it seemed a better film when I saw it first a few years ago, never watched Blindman (yes I know, no excuse), but my favourite so far is Preparati la Bara!, but this one is coming real close, maybe some parts of the plot that deserved some more attention like who was the siblings real mother, but I understand that would take a mini-series for all that.
In conclusion very personalised spaghetti with good artistic direction and production values, also a cool soundtrack something where I’m very conservative, on contrary to others things in life, no modernism shit in my SW’s soundtracks all pure and classical. I really liked this one 4 stars.

1 Like

good movie, but expect more from the ending, maybe some more shoot out…, very good music!