The Football Thread

This caused a few discussions:

Cretin attacks Leyton Orient 'keeper[url]Swindon fan ran on the pitch and swung a punch at Leyton Orient goalie Jamie Jones - YouTube

Cretin attacks Leyton Orient 'keeper

I wonder what Phil H has to say about this, he’s the world’s greatest Leyton supporters

Give this idiot a life-long stadium ban. A football stadium should be a no go area for these kind of mindless morons.

Yes, sad that these sort of people still exist in football stadiums. I expect a lifetime ban will be given but how these things are policed is beyond me. Of course when you are a top of the table glamour club like us you are inevitably a target for loonies. :wink:

Austin Fisher is a big Swindon fan so perhaps he could explain the Wiltshire supporters mindset. If he is not still crying into his cider. In fact that bloke looks a bit like Austin…wait a minute…

Those of us of a certain age will be saddened to hear of the passing of the great Eusebio today. One of my footballing idols when I was a kid. Blistering pace, magnificent close ball skills and a nitro glycerine shot he was lethal and one of the most dynamic players of his generation. He was also a true gentleman on the field. Never forget seeing him applaud Alex Stepney for a good save during the 1968 European Cup final. A lot of top players today could have learned a lot from watching this fella conduct himself on the pitch.
R.I.P to one of the all time greats of the beautiful game.

Yap Phill trully unexpected, even if he suffered from heart conditions in the past years the news of his death were a real sad surprise.
I really never saw him playing, most people don’t know that after he left Benfica he played in the United States and in Canada, and in secondary (and I mean secondary) Portuguese teams, he ended his career playing futsal in the Buffalo stallions.
In the zenith of his career during the sixties and until 1975, it was forbidden for players to leave Portugal to foreign sides, they could not even leave their teams for other national sides unless they gave the players authorization to do so, so he (and many others) never had an International career.

Like most people here by now know, I’m a Sporting fan, and rivalry between both big clubs from Lisbon started since the very beginning, (both clubs had the same origin, with a split originating both clubs), and its fair o say that some of the greatest Portuguese players of the last decades, were born for football in Sporting, (with the exception of Rui Costa), its also known that we really never took great advantage of those players, in monetary or in titles terms, and actually Eusébio started playing in Sporting Branch of Lourenço Marques (now Maputo in Mozambique), so he was ready to go to play in Sporting Lisbon like it was normal for a player already of the club. Legend says that because Sporting directors took for granted that he would sign for the club, they never went to spoke with his mother (he was only 18 at the time), contrary to what benfica directors did and so she signed him to the club that went to talk with her, so that’s why he went to play for benfica. Sporting directors were left waiting in vain in Lisbon airport, while Eusebio was taken to benfica headquarters by the back-door. Some legal issues followed that didn’t allow Eusebio to play in the first benfica Champions cup final that they won in 1962

Actually it was a blow that we really never recovered and that turned Benfica in the dominant power in Portuguese football in years to come (until the arrival of Pinto da Costa at Porto), a part that belonged to Sporting until then, creating a complex that even with players like Figo and Ronaldo in our side we never recover from.

Anyway truly the best Portuguese player of all time with Ronaldo (but only when he ends his career).

[url]Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos
Eusebio with Sporting Lourenço Marques second from right in the ones seated

I didn’t know these details about his past. The probably only mean a great deal to supporters of one of the two clubs, Sporting and Benfica.

To us Eusebio is of course in the first place the magnificent forward who became top scorer of the World Cup '66 and demolished this surprise team from North-Corea all on his own, scoring (if I’m not mistaken) four goals for his team and winning the game after they had been 3-0 down. The true greats stand up when it really matters.

The World Cup '66 was the first world cup I watched on TV, day by day, so the great Eusebio has a special place in my heart.

One of the ten best ever, no doubt.

I’m 40 so not old enough to have seen him at the time but have seen footage over the years.

R.I.P.

@Topo

Very interesting stuff re Eusebio’s early years. Didn’t know any of that. Like Scherp, the 66 World Cup was my first (to be honest, for the sake of my emotional health, it probably should have been my last) and it left a lasting impression. Certainly would make my all time 11 and for a Sporting fan to give him such praise only convinces me I haven’t been wrong all these years.

Washington Redskins… oh wait… ::slight_smile:

I hazard a forecast: AC Milan - Atletico Madrid 2-0! ;D

I don’t Know Corbett maybe a tie 2-2

[/URL]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/samoracorreia/media/n_atletico_de_madrid_creaciones_colchonero-6925798_zps8bd1cc81.jpg.html]

[url]Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

The second pic is extremely tempting, but this does not change my forecast: I’m specialized in surprising results! :wink:

Barca beat City… Good!

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:2171, topic:527”]I hazard a forecast: AC Milan - Atletico Madrid 2-0! ;D

[/quote]

Well, I’m an Inter fan, but those ladies look just fine (1 bonus goal) and Seedorf is coach (1 more bonus goal), but I’m also rooting for this seasons outsider, Atletico (1 minus goal) so I’d say:

[size=14pt]2-1[/size]

Leaves everything wide open for the return (which is more than you can say about this night’s pairings - I honostly don’t see Leverkusen coming back from the 0-4 punishment)

I used to play for team that played in a ground along the side of the A3 (A road in England for the benefit of those who don’t know what I mean ;)), we wore red and black stripes and the team was called A3 Milan :slight_smile:

So Superwoman beat the Berlusconi girls by 1 nil

Watched parts of Arsenal -Bayern. Arsenal started well, for some time they were even the better team, but after the red card the game was over. You can’t play a team like Bayern or Barcelona with ten men. Second half was completely one-way traffic.

Rubbing salt into a wound is not allowed! :slight_smile:

1 pair of fake boobs nil, to be more precise… ;D

World Cup finals not quite with us and we’re already looking towards the Euros.
Draw just finished and they are:

A: Netherlands, Kazakhstan, Iceland, Latvia, Turkey, Czech Republic
B: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Andorra, Cyprus, Wales, Israel, Belgium
C: Spain, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Belarus, Slovakia, Ukraine
D: Germany, Gibraltar, Georgia, Scotland, Poland, Republic of Ireland
E: England, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia, Switzerland
F: Greece, Faroe Islands, Northern Ireland, Finland, Romania, Hungary
G: Russia, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Montenegro, Austria, Sweden
H: Italy, Malta, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Norway, Croatia
I: Portugal, Albania, Armenia, Serbia, Denmark

Pretty good draw for England I must say. What about the rest of you? Not too bad for the Dutchies and the Germans should feel pretty comfortable I would think.