The first spaghetti western you saw

i think the first i saw was " A Fistful Of Dollars"

good, the bad and the ugly I was 13 heard and loved Morricone’s music (ecsatsy of gold) through the band Metallica then saw the film and fell in love

it was A Fistful of Dollars not sure of the year I was probably 10-12 years old and we rented it on VHS.

Once upon a time in the west was the first i sat through.

The first SW I ever saw was on TV and it was either Mannaja or Death rides a horse.
I don’t remember which one of them I saw first though since I was only 5-7 years old at that time.
But even though I didn’t watch either of those films again for 25 years I still remembered fragments from them that I could recognised when I saw the films again.

I saw very beginning of Once Upon A Time in the West when I was younger. Then I saw Bruno Mattei’s White Apache… but what really got me collecting was a Navajo Joe soundtrack I picked up for free at my work… a soundtrack is what got me hooked!

That was ‘Any gun can play’,titled ‘Leg ihn um,Django’ in germany.
The Django with Franco Nero was already lend out at the videostore,so we take this one

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.
I already liked westerns when I got it. However, the music actually scared me to, Tu, but that was before I saw the movie.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I saw about 10 other spaghettis in the same week after I saw GBU

For me it was A Fist Full Of Dollars.
Later on TV I got see Once Upon A Time In The West for the first time. It was really long but I just loved it. As I type this A Bullet For Sandoval is on the Western Channel.
It dosn’t get any better that this.

[quote=“The Magnificent Gringo, post:29, topic:173”]The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I saw about 10 other spaghettis in the same week after I saw GBU[/quote]

Hey TMG, Here’s my favorite “Jill” quote…

Jill: If you want to, you can lay me over the table and amuse yourself. And even call in your men. Well. No woman ever died from that. When you’re finished, all I’ll need will be a tub of boiling water, and I’ll be exactly what I was before - with just another filthy memory.
Cheyenne: [sighs] You make good coffee, at least?

“For a Few Dollars More” around 1969 while in the Air Force over in Spain. A bunch of us went one night to see it and we absolutely loved it. My roommate was so inspired he went out and found a horse blanket/poncho virtually identical to Eastwood’s and he wore it around the base.

Was it shown on the base or did you see it in cinema?
As far as I know most films are shown in the Spanish version in cinemas around the country

Almost certainly A Fistful of Dollars. Saw it on TV when I would have been around 7-8 years of age. Was already a Clint Eastwood fan, and liked Westerns in general. This just blew me away and instantly became my favourite film.

It’s not too far off all these years later.

“A Fistful of Dollars”. I first saw it when I was eleven, and it completely made me re-think the western genre. All these years on, I still think it’s a masterpeice.

Back at my Nana and Dida’s house, I fondly remember seeing about half of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on TV there for the first time. I had no idea what it was at the time, because I was young, but it kept me interested the whole time, until the final duel between Angel Eyes, Blondie, and Tuco. A true classic film, and probably the greatest spaghetti/Italian western, let alone western ever made. Once Upon A Time in the West comes very, very close though, I even sometimes tie the two at first place.

For the first time i saw ‘Good,bad,ugly’ on TV,too.
The day is easy to remember,it was new years day 1983 and it was great !

Since then i’ve seen this about 10 times and it was always geat again,hope i’ll get the chance to watch it on the big screen one day…
You’re right that its probably the greatest spag western,for me its the greatest western anyway.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

[quote=“LankyFellow, post:37, topic:173”]For the first time i saw ‘Good,bad,ugly’ on TV,too.
The day is easy to remember,it was new years day 1983 and it was great ![/quote]

Yes, ant it was cut down to about 140 min. There was even a cut in the scene in which Tuco is running around the cemetery to find the Money grave. The cut was hearable as it was a “scoundtrack jump cut”.
The first scene was also missing.

After having seen before only a full screen VHS (the 159 German cut) it was at least in Widescreen, but only in 1,78:1.

A memory like an elephant

In fact my memory is rather bad, but I had cut the TV version together with the VHS version on my Stereo VHS. And by that I realised how much was cut. Not only some violent scenes (the Tuco torture scene was very, very short), but lots of smaller cuts for no obvious reasons. I’m sure they didn’t made the cuts by themselves, but showed a censored and shortened theatrical version.