The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe / Il mio nome è Shangai Joe (Mario Caiano, 1973)

Database comment:

After a six year gap, Mario Caiano returns to the SW with this uneven west meets east variant. Chen Lee fights his way successfully through a west filled with racists while director Caiano unsuccessfully fights with his directorial talents against an episodical screenplay with too many shortcomings and stupidities in it. Often well directed with some hearty gore effects, some bizarre guest appearances and a beautiful Bruno Nicolai score (which was already used more strikingly in Have a Good Funeral, Sartana Will Pay), this one gives me only the feeling of a superior Fidani trash movie.

I like the “superior Fidani trash movie”-phrase. Well spoken.

It probably won’t be remembered as a great western neither as the most brilliant mixture of kung fu/western, but it’s very fun to watch with some crazy over-the-top scenes. Entertaining. I like it.

I like it as well. I’t is in some parts pretty creepy, but why not?

Decided to make a review about this one. Let’s see who know how to read Portuguese:

[quote=“p.pereira, post:45, topic:1382”]Decided to make a review about this one. Let’s see who know how to read Portuguese:

http://por-um-punhado-de-euros.blogspot.com/2010/05/il-mio-nome-e-shangai-joe-1972-mario.html[/quote]

I do

But i don’t write so well ;D

10 Euros pela caixa e quanto de Portes ?
Nunca mandei vir nada dos EUA mas agora com Euro se calhar não é mal pensado.

[quote=“El Topo, post:47, topic:1382”]10 Euros pela caixa e quanto de Portes ?
Nunca madei vir nada dos EUA mas agora com Euro se calahr não é aml pensado.[/quote]

Não te sei dizer porque tudo o que comprei via EUA foi-me trazido por um amigo que trabalhava no Texas, mas não acho que seja nada de mais. Assim mandei vir metade do catálogo da Wild East suportando apenas os portes normais intra-EUA!

[quote=“El Topo, post:46, topic:1382”]I do

But i don’t write so well ;D[/quote]

Obrigado pelo elogio companheiro!

Haha I just watched this on Youtube MY NAME IS SHANGHAI JOE (1972, clip) Chen Lee - YouTube and it makes me really want to watch this film, Its probably the best scene in the film but I still want to watch the whole thing, I think there should of been more Kung Fu Westerns but I guess thats where the “Kung Fu” the series comes in :stuck_out_tongue:

Poor Bruce Lee didnt even get a credit on the show which I believe was his idea…

this one is very violent in my opinion.

Saw this one still on my journey to watch as much SW as possible; entertaining enough, I did spend a good time watching it.
Deals with issues not so common even for SW like human traffic and illegal immigration. Also could not avoid noticing that our hero deals with some of the worst and meanest bad asses of SW, Undari, Mitchell and Kinski (the guy avenges Silence I guess). Of course we are not talking top of the game but as long it’s entertaining, fun to watch and not boring I’m satisfied. In any case the film could still have been better, the gore seemed totally unnecessary, some action scenes were not so great, and maybe some more comic relieves would not hurt in less of more drama, but who cares when you’re name its Shangai Joe and you can send Kinski packing.
Very cool score its amazing what a good soundtrack can do to a film.
Three stars for the overall fun.

[quote=“El Topo, post:52, topic:1382”]Saw this one still on my journey to watch as much SW as possible; entertaining enough, I did spend a good time watching it.
Deals with issues not so common even for SW like human traffic and illegal immigration. Also could not avoid noticing that our hero deals with some of the worst and meanest bad asses of SW, Undari, Mitchell and Kinski (the guy avenges Silence I guess). Of course we are not talking top of the game but as long it’s entertaining, fun to watch and not boring I’m satisfied. In any case the film could still have been better, the gore seemed totally unnecessary, some action scenes were not so great, and maybe some more comic relieves would not hurt in less of more drama, but who cares when you’re name its Shangai Joe and you can send Kinski packing.
Very cool score its amazing what a good soundtrack can do to a film.
Three stars for the overall fun.[/quote]

The soundtrack was ripped from a Sartana movie, wasn’t it?
I think it’s the same of “Buen funerale amigos”…

So it seems Pereira, its what we Economists call scale economy

Ah, by the way your SW list its bigger than mine ;D (list) I’m afraid you got everything I got…and more, but maybe on the Italian sleaze department I can send you some stuff if you like, I’m well served on that department ;D ;D ;D

[quote=“El Topo, post:54, topic:1382”]So it seems Pereira, its what we Economists call scale economy

Ah, by the way your SW list its bigger than mine ;D (list) I’m afraid you got everything I got…and more, but maybe on the Italian sleaze department I can send you some stuff if you like, I’m well served on that department ;D ;D ;D[/quote]

Cool. Crime, spy and giallos would be welcome.

Ahhhh, the Kung Fu Spaghetti Western, a weird hybrid that existed for a brief flash in the world of exploitation cinema. This film, known by various titles including DRAGON STRIKES AGAIN and most commonly THE FIGHTING FIST OF SHANGHAI JOE, came out in 1974, probably the zenith year for such attempts. (FYI, 1992 was the peak year for the Cyborg/Kickboxer mashup–but that’s another story.)

Directed by undistinguished Italian genre hack Mario Caiano, the pic presents the tale of a Chinese loner ambling his way through the American Old West. The lead is played by the little-seen Chen Lee. Lee has only three movie credits to his name, each in an Italian film, which begs the question of whether he is an actor per se or merely a expert martial artist that happened to be living in Italy at the time. But whatever the explanation, Lee manages to acquit himself rather well in this performance. He has an easygoing, laconic presence that is pleasantly free of the stiffness sometimes on display among non-acting fighters. (Of course his dialog is dubbed, but so is everyone else’s here, so it’s hard to judge him in that respect.)

After a few vignettes depicting Lee’s troubles in finding transportation, food, and ranch work due to the locals’ bigotry and bullying, we settle in to the main thrust of the story, wherein Lee aims to help liberate Mexican peons who are being enslaved by evil rancher Spencer, played by the familiar Piero Lulli. Along to help him is the pretty Mexican Cristina (Carla Romanelli), and she turns into a sort of love interest for him.

There are a few weird quirks about the pic that are worth noting. First, our hero goes unnamed for about the first 3/4 of the film–no one asks his name an he is never addressed by anyone. Then out of the blue, he offhandedly refers to himself as “Shanghai Joe” in a chat with Cristina. OK, after 80 minutes we learn his name… the in the very next scene, Spencer calls for “Joe” to be killed and shouts, “Go get Chin Hao!”, a name by which “Joe” is referred for the final few minutes. What the heck? How did Spencer learn this guy’s Chinese name? Is this a sloppy scripting gaffe, a botched dubbing mistake, poor exposition? Whatever the reason, it’s weird.

Another oddity is the plot twist where, late in the story, Spencer and his men meet to decide how to deal with Joe. They opine that four notorious hitmen would each be perfect for doing away with the Chinaman. What follows is a quick series of pretty ridiculous vignettes as colorful baddies with names like “The Cannibal” are dispatched by Joe. Among these hitmen are top-billed stars Gordon Mitchell as “Buryin’ Sam” and Klaus Kinski as “Scalper Jack”. Their scenes are so brief, basically cameo appearances, that neither of the two have a real chance to flex their wild, woolly acting chops. A wasted opprtunity.

The hitmen sequences display another unusual aspect of this picture: a great number of grotesque, gory and explicit wounds and deaths. Kinski’s character, obviously, relishes cutting his victim’s scalps off; Mitchell builds a spiked grave-trap for his victim to fall into. Also seen elsewhere in the film are an eyeball gouged out, homemade acupunture on a bullet wound, and a man’s hand shot off. Gruesome stuff and oddly disconcerting, these shots don’t give a visceral thrill or gasp, rather, they make you do a double-take in disbelief, like, “what was that?”

Also unusual to the modern viewer are the camera tricks and staging used to suggest Joe’s jumping and fighting prowess. Quite a few times we see the ol’ “reverse footage” trick to depict someone jumping from a standstill up onto a tall perch. In '74 that might have wowed 'em, but by now we can see right through that trick.

In the end, the various exploitation elements can’t make this a cohesive, engaging feature. Caiano’s pacing is suspect, as little momentum carries over from one scene to the next, giving the 93-minute picture quite a plodding pace. And with no protagonist other than the stone-faced Joe, there is no charismatic heart to the story. As capable as Lee is, an effervescent sidekick or partner might have livened things up. What we do have to stir the soul, however, is the absolutely BRILLIANT theme music by Bruno Nicolai, which plays several times throughout. As great as the Morricone-trained Nicolai is, I will without hesitation call this the greatest theme (that I’ve heard) of his career. It is a rousing, epic delight that will stay with you long after the flick is done.

In all, I think the idea of this film is better than the actual finished product. Kung Fu, cowboys, cartoonish violence and gore, eastern philosophy, gunfights … it ought to add up to a better picture that what it is. Not on anybody’s must-see list, but a watchable curiosity. Call it a C+, or 6/10 stars.

The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe (Caiano/73)

The Fight Fists of Shanghai Joe (1973) sounds like one of those awful genre bending films that repeatedly crop up over the years; however this kung-fu Spaghetti Western is actually pretty decent and has certain similarities with the television series “Kung Fu” with David Carradine. It is directed by Mario Caiano, who made a number of Spaghetti Westerns, and stars Chen Lee as the eponymous Shanghai Joe.

The story is straightforward, almost verging on the simplistic. Joe is a recent immigrant from China to San Francisco, where, in search of work, he heads to Texas. Here he gets on the wrong side of a powerful, racist rancher, Stanley Spencer (Piero Lulli), after he witnesses the massacre of Mexican slave labourers.

This Western tries to say some interesting things about the West, and how Chinese immigrants helped do a lot of the “dirty” jobs that Whites wouldn’t do. Sadly, most of this is drowned under its comic book style and some pretty bad kung-fu. Yet it does have some good parts: most of the action scenes come with Peckinpah-esque slow motion and exploding, bloody squids. Some of the violence is pretty strong too, with Lee pulling a bad guy’s eyes out on screen. But due to its light-hearted mode, it never feels dark or repellent. In fact, it is all rather comic, lacking the seriousness as Django Kill, If You Live, Shoot! (1967) has from its strong violence.

Acting wise, Chen Lee is probably as wooden as his martial arts, but Piero Lulli makes a fine villain and Klaus Kinski’s virtually cameo-like role is memorable. The scene where the Mexicans are killed is well-directed, as are a number of other action scenes, sufficient enough to make sure that the Western is at least fast paced.

It isn’t a brilliant piece of cinema, but as the Spaghetti Western genre went down the drains, it is refreshingly old fashioned in a way, occasionally recalling the past Golden Era of the late sixties that makes it worth checking out for the Spaghetti Western enthusiast.

[quote=“John Welles, post:57, topic:1382”]

The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe (Caiano/73)

The Fight Fists of Shanghai Joe (1973) sounds like one of those awful genre bending films that repeatedly crop up over the years; however this kung-fu Spaghetti Western is actually pretty decent and has certain similarities with the television series “Kung Fu” with David Carradine. It is directed by Mario Caiano, who made a number of Spaghetti Westerns, and stars Chen Lee as the eponymous Shanghai Joe.

The story is straightforward, almost verging on the simplistic. Joe is a recent immigrant from China to San Francisco, where, in search of work, he heads to Texas. Here he gets on the wrong side of a powerful, racist rancher, Stanley Spencer (Piero Lulli), after he witnesses the massacre of Mexican slave labourers.

This Western tries to say some interesting things about the West, and how Chinese immigrants helped do a lot of the “dirty” jobs that Whites wouldn’t do. Sadly, most of this is drowned under its comic book style and some pretty bad kung-fu. Yet it does have some good parts: most of the action scenes come with Peckinpah-esque slow motion and exploding, bloody squids. Some of the violence is pretty strong too, with Lee pulling a bad guy’s eyes out on screen. But due to its light-hearted mode, it never feels dark or repellent. In fact, it is all rather comic, lacking the seriousness as Django Kill, If You Live, Shoot! (1967) has from its strong violence.

Acting wise, Chen Lee is probably as wooden as his martial arts, but Piero Lulli makes a fine villain and Klaus Kinski’s virtually cameo-like role is memorable. The scene where the Mexicans are killed is well-directed, as are a number of other action scenes, sufficient enough to make sure that the Western is at least fast paced.

It isn’t a brilliant piece of cinema, but as the Spaghetti Western genre went down the drains, it is refreshingly old fashioned in a way, occasionally recalling the past Golden Era of the late sixties that makes it worth checking out for the Spaghetti Western enthusiast.[/quote]
don’t bother with part 2, part 2 han nothing to do with this and the most part it’s unwatchble

[quote=“sartana1968, post:58, topic:1382”]don’t bother with part 2, part 2 han nothing to do with this and the most part it’s unwatchble[/quote]Even though sartana1968 uses the word unwatchable for almost half of the movies ever made, now he has a point. Sequel is awful.

At one point an eccentric doctor remarks, "Americans are some of the biggest fascists God ever created."

The word “fascists” in 1882? Thankfully in the original Italian version there’s no sign of this absurd anachronism! ???