The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe / Il mio nome è Shangai Joe (Mario Caiano, 1973)

Reckon I might have to view aswell ;).

I’ve also just got the sequel, Return of Shanghai Joe, but have not watched. Heard not so good things about part 2

Yes, I have had for a while but not got round to viewing yet.

‘Che botte ragazzi’ (‘The return of Shanghai-Joe’)

• only Klaus Kinski is great, the rest is f…

Enjoyed that one. Maybe there are a bit too much cheesy gore scenes in it. The “stolen” Music Score is pretty good. Klaus Kinski is enjoyable as maniac scalphunter and he is the Highlight of this movie. The Kung Fu (or whatever this should be) Fighting is like a joke compared to the Hong Kong Classics round that time. I wished to see at the end a Wuxia Fight. It was entertaining enough but The Stranger & The Gunfighter is somehow (maybe because of Lee Van Cleef) the better Hyprid. :slight_smile:

I still like this one better than Stranger & Gunfighter - maybe because of the crappy end.

Lee in a chinese costum looks very fashionable. :smiley: Maybe it’s not a good idea to compare them. Shanghai Joe is more sinister and Stranger&Gunfighter is more like a funny Buddy Movie. :slight_smile:

Sounds about right :wink:

I thought this was terrible movie. This was one of the few times I regretted buying a DVD. Usually I find something of interest in even the worst dreck but not even the gore, nor the appearance of Kinski and Gordon Mitchell could sustain my interest. The “actor” playing Shanghai Joe is Korean I think.

there’s a couple other “Eastern Westerns”.

The Shaw Brothers did one on their own which I think is one of the damn wildest “westerns” ever. I’ll post the thread in the off topic section…

Interesting, I’m going to have to remember to track this down.

Out of curiosity, any specific examples of why Shanghai Joe was so bad for you?

[quote=“Angel Face, post:29, topic:1382”]The “actor” playing Shanghai Joe is Korean I think.[/quote]Caiano says he’s from Japan in the interview.

From what I gather, “Chun Lee”, was a Rome based Japanese Karate instructor who later moved to Los Angeles. Chun Lee is obviously not his real name.

[quote=“autephex, post:30, topic:1382”]Interesting, I’m going to have to remember to track this down.

Out of curiosity, any specific examples of why Shanghai Joe was so bad for you?[/quote]

It may have been the hype for it I guess. I just couldn’t get into it. I enjoyed STRANGER & THE GUNFIGHTER so much, which isn’t a perfect movie, but it’s a fun buddy movie with two of my favorite performers in it. Plus, it had some great sets and the action; while the martial arts wasn’t quite up to snuff with other Shaw flicks at the time, got better as the movie went along.

I will more than likely give it another go sooner or later, though.

can anyone tell me what the quality of the French disc is like, despite having several cut scenes? Seems like these French discs are beating everyone else out quality wise

Even though the last response to this movie was almost six months ago, I have to give my two cents, especially given the fact that I’m just starting to really dive into Spaghetti Westerns (have seen most of the essentials but starting to look at the second and third tier stuff now).

For me, JOE wasn’t all the exciting or intriguing for me until the eyeball yank and the moment that Klaus Kinski popped up and put Joe down with a couple shots to the legs. The slow-motion stuff, with Kinski riding around Joe, taunting him, basking in his victory, was the best thing about the whole film.

And then, of course, it has to go and get ruined with Kinski being revealed as a lunatic with a doll fetish and decide to scalp Joe instead of Joe’s girlfriend (duh! who’s going to be more likely to put up a fight, Klaus?). I have no clue how all of those knives would have ended up stabbing Kinski (maybe a couple but not every one of them).

And, because we can’t let the joke die yet, we have to have the passing of the scalp, which, of course, isn’t even the same color as Kinski’s hair!

Three stars for the two scenes mentioned above. The rest of it was forgettable.

[quote=“ChristopherGrant, post:35, topic:1382”]Even though the last response to this movie was almost six months ago, I have to give my two cents, especially given the fact that I’m just starting to really dive into Spaghetti Westerns (have seen most of the essentials but starting to look at the second and third tier stuff now).

For me, JOE wasn’t all the exciting or intriguing for me until the eyeball yank and the moment that Klaus Kinski popped up and put Joe down with a couple shots to the legs. The slow-motion stuff, with Kinski riding around Joe, taunting him, basking in his victory, was the best thing about the whole film.

And then, of course, it has to go and get ruined with Kinski being revealed as a lunatic with a doll fetish and decide to scalp Joe instead of Joe’s girlfriend (duh! who’s going to be more likely to put up a fight, Klaus?). I have no clue how all of those knives would have ended up stabbing Kinski (maybe a couple but not every one of them).

And, because we can’t let the joke die yet, we have to have the passing of the scalp, which, of course, isn’t even the same color as Kinski’s hair!

Three stars for the two scenes mentioned above. The rest of it was forgettable.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with you. There are some crazy scenes in the film. When I first saw it, I found it good. But the second time it bored me.
But the score of Nicolai is very good. Unfortunately, it is from Have a Good Funeral, My Friend … Sartana Will Pay.
I have the X-Rated Italo Western Collection: And both movies are included.

I think the movie is OK, if you like this Kung Fu Western. All the others are probably not thrilled. It remains an individual decision.

Watch this one last night and must say it was really annoying to hear the soundtrack. It felt very familiar, now reading some previous posts I understand where that came out (Apocalypse Joe too, right?).

The movie is in my opinion almost mediocre, I share same feelings with all the others sw/martial arts crossovers that I know. The gore scenes save it from my “worst ws top”.

Beg to differ with the majority on this one - I think it’s a top-notch exploitation film (not necessarily a first-rate SW or kung fu movie), and I like 'Chen Lee’s low-key performance. Of course it could have been much better, but what’s there works well enough for me.

I agree Starblack :wink: .

Me too. Very entertaining film. Probably Caiano’s best, at least in my book.