The Dirty Outlaws / El desperado (Franco Rossetti, 1967)

yeah its not a favourite of mine either. thatā€™s why Iā€™ve stuck with my DVD of it at the moment and not upgraded. Glad someone else agrees. I remember feeling let down afer watching it as I had much higher hopes.

1 Like

Canā€™t say I agree. I havenā€™t seen every spag ever made but Iā€™ve seen a fair few. This is the first time that I know of of a spag telling a tale of

a man who is a bit of a selfish bastard (for lack of a better phrase :rofl:) at the beginning but after seeing harm done to innocent people changes and becomes a selfless and compassionate guy whoā€™s willing to help others at any cost.

I know The Big Gundown had character development but it was in a different fashion; it was about a guy with a black and white mentality realising thereā€™s a lot of grey in the world. This film I think focused on moral character development.

3 Likes

I have to disagree ā€¦ he gets the shit kicked out of him and exacts revenge on the perpetrators. I didnā€™t see any moral turn around.

My main beef is the bloody awful grueling length it takes to tell a very simple minor little story - itā€™s simply boring - with uninteresting underdeveloped characters.

Each to their own, but this wouldnā€™t make top 100 in my list, if I made lists :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™d just about give it a place in the 90ā€™s :wink:

not that I make lists eitherā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t know if Iā€™d go as far as to say the protagonist has a complete turnaround, but I do think he shows some humanity in certain parts. He buries the dead soldier and is clearly bothered by the abuse of the innocent old man and his daughter. For me, though, having a selfish protagonist was a plus. It kind reminded me of Clint in Fistfull of Dollars.

My main beef is the bloody awful grueling length it takes to tell a very simple minor little story

I like the film, but I think itā€™s definitely fair to say it drags on a little too long.

2 Likes

He does but you can still see him have a change of heart after the very man he tries to swindle in the beginning gets killed. I think so anyway. He then seems far more intent on revenge than getting the gold.

I wouldnā€™t say his arc is as big as Michael Corleoneā€™s in the first two Godfather films, but I still think thereā€™s some level of development which to my knowledge was unprecedented in the genre.

Iā€™ve never once thought this film dragged at all in the multiple times Iā€™ve watched it. I love every second. I kind of wish it wasnā€™t Rossettiā€™s only spag.

Absolutely :blush:

3 Likes

I am glad you and others get a kick out of it ā€¦ I wish too it worked for me - perhaps I had higher expectations based on the generally positive feedback here, but there you go - cā€™est la vie :wink:

3 Likes

So weā€™re all in agreement that this is the greatest film ever made.

4 Likes

I thought Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead was the greatest?

1 Like

Someoneā€™s paying attention.
I was testing you, and you passed with flying colours.

1 Like

Finally watched. For me, this movie is the essence of a spaghetti western. Darkness, brutality and of course coffins :grinning:

2 Likes

Too bad, but El desperado is less good than remembered.
I like Giordana in the lead, I like the plot in principle, I like the atmosphere, itā€™s generally the kind of SW for which the sub-genre was invented, but it is often less enjoyable than it should be. In several key moments the characters and the story and also the directing lack imagination, and by that the entertainment value drops too often. Especially the violent scenes with the shootings and the fights are boringly drawn out.
So in the end only an acceptable SW for me, which drops beneath the 6/10 mark.

(Funny is of course the contrast between the extra muddy ghost town and the extra dry surrounding)

1 Like

There was rain in one scene :slightly_smiling_face:

This movieā€™s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new ā€œSWDb 3.0ā€ format. Please have a look and let us know if thereā€™s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Si, but it seems it was a locally very, very restricted rain, that it had rained only inside the town ā€¦

2 Likes

Any feedback on the Plaion Bluray of this one?
It is reduced at the moment on Amazon.uk so am thinking of picking it up if it is a good release

Iā€™d go for it, the picture quality is a definite step up from the old DVD I had before.

OK, Iā€™ve bought it.
Didnā€™t really take much convincing

3 Likes

I bought this the instant that I could. Still havenā€™t watched this version yet though.

You can Google translate my review