The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

Same here. Itā€™s an amazing soundtrack.

Whatā€™s the source for the new Italian Blu-ray? Is it the same as the Grindhouse release or Explosiveā€™s?

good question, also there is a French disc.

So I was surprised to see that the last post in this thread was from 2017, I want to dig this up because I saw this (The Spaghetti Western Fan Club: Once Upon a Time in Italy | Facebook ) and I was under the impression that there is no full English audio for the ā€œlongā€ Italian version, is there?

Yeah I donā€™t think a full audio exists anywhere.

Columbia Pictures I guess wanted it cut and since they got the distribution rights (why for this film?) for possibly all the countries that would have preferred it in English. USA, UK, Australia, Sweden, Finland, maybe more, HK? No full track needed.

In Finland at least these type of films were often distributed by smaller local companies but this oneā€¦ Columbia Films.

1 Like

It pisses me off how Grindhouse didnā€™t offer the full version with Italian audio just for the added scenes. Still a nice release though.

1 Like

Seems like a missed opportunity ! ā€¦ I think the German release used the Franco Cleef re-construction dub ā€¦ which is great, but does have one little mistake, at the wedding party when the two redhead trackers show up. Anyone else spot it ?

Denmark too. It seems Columbia Pictures distributed it here also. The Danish movie program seems to indicate as much.

This is on TCM UK right now. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s the 90 minute version.

1 Like

Looking at the running time, and accounting for adverts, it will be the short version.

However, it may inspire a viewer, who knows next to nothing about SWā€™s, to investigate the phenomenon further. If ever there was a film designed to whet the appetite, then ā€˜The Big Gundownā€™ is a stong contenderā€¦

3 Likes

Yes it does. I havenā€™t watched it in a while, but I remember that. Not a big deal though.

I donā€™t think it was the Franco Cleef reconstruction they used for the source though.

An excellent SW that features LVC in his prime. TBG is a masterpiece that balances tackling political issues that are relevant to this day in a mature manner while still having the high octane action and shooting that one associates with the sub genre. Ennio Morriconeā€™s music is as excellent as ever here, and the directing and cinematography is stunning to the point where I forget that Iā€™m not watching a Leone film while viewing it. A top five SW as far as Iā€™m concerned, and my second most favourite non-Leone SW after The Great Silence. Anyone who has not watched this film needs to watch it ASAP. You will not be disappointed.

5 Likes

I have had the Grindhouse bluray for 2 years and had until today only watched the 95 minute version, but now also the Italian 110 min version. I was surprised that even the first scene with Jonathan Corbett shooting 3 outlaws was severely cut in the shorter version.
It feels semi-Leone and with that extraordinary music by Morricone you canā€™t ask for much more I think. My rating is 8/10 for 6th place on my SW top 50.
I proposed 3 added locations for the IMDb web site that obviously should be there also.

1 Like

Personally I wouldnā€™t want the man-ranch to be ditched. Itā€™s a point where the film veers into Django, Kill! mode (though that may not be a plus for everyone!).

Truly sorry if this is already mentioned on the site - it crossed my mind then I saw it elsewhere - but the episode really does resemble Odysseusā€™s stretch on Circeā€™s island of Aeaea, with Corbett as Oysseus. The Widowā€™s line on how the men are ā€œBEASTSā€ struck that note for me, and then those pigs ā€¦

4 Likes

Can someone explain to me the meaning of the word that Tomas Milianā€™s character Cuchillo uses to describe himself and other Mexicans of his socio-economic status: Bubayon (?) (Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s the right spelling)

Is it a term to denote the working class individuals/servants in spanish/mexican spanish? Any help would be great.

1 Like

I remember him referring to them as ā€œpeonsā€ but Iā€™m not sure about the other word. What part of the movie was it when he said it? And in what language were you watching it in?

1 Like

Englishā€¦Could it be possible he referred it to as El Peones? (And I completely messed it up in my head)

Thanks a ton for the help.

1 Like

That just might be it and it would make sense given the context since that would translate as ā€œthe pawnsā€.

1 Like

Tonight Iā€™m going to watch this one at Cinemateket in Stockholm. I canā€™t believe they show it right after my big entry in Spaghettiland!

7 Likes

We pulled some strings for your initiiation

1 Like

Hope you enjoyed that! :slight_smile:

1 Like