The best of tomas milian

You’re not alone, because I agree with you. I love Companeros and pretty much all of Milian’s performances, though. Milian sometimes goes a bit over the top, but usually he’s incredibly watchable and has a fantastic screen presence.

From the list, I haven’t seen Sonny and Jed or Death Sentence. I very much want to see both, so I’ll hold off from voting for now.

Out of the rest, which I have watched, I am going to say Four of the Apocalypse and The Bounty Hunter are what I consider to be his best perfomances.

Four of the Apocalypse is just a remarkable performance for so many reasons, filled with malice and totally different from anything else I’ve seen Milian do. He has said in interviews that he was inspired by Charles Manson, and I think he really managed to bring a sort of sociopathic malevolence to the role of Chaco.

His role in The Bounty Hunter is no frills, but the simple story and setting meant he had to do more with his acting. Jose Gomez is a conflicted kind of bandit leader, which Milian does so well in other films like Tepepa and Companeros. What I really enjoyed about The Bounty Hunter, though, is the way Milian manages to convey that conflict and give the character so much more energy than the script and directing deserved. For me, the ending of the film was massively enhanced by a virtuoso performance from Milian.

Yeah, Milian is one of those actors that are still excellent even when they go over-the-top. Also, I really liked him in Sonny and Jed, the movie is not exactly everyone’s taste, but it’s one of my favorite spaghetti western, do check it out.

I never liked Milian that much. He hasn’t exactly a western face, and after 1968 most of his performances are more pesky and tedious than entertaining.

[quote=“TheBigSmokedown, post:21, topic:572”]Out of the rest, which I have watched, I am going to say Four of the Apocalypse and The Bounty Hunter are what I consider to be his best perfomances.

Four of the Apocalypse is just a remarkable performance for so many reasons, filled with malice and totally different from anything else I’ve seen Milian do. He has said in interviews that he was inspired by Charles Manson, and I think he really managed to bring a sort of sociopathic malevolence to the role of Chaco.

His role in The Bounty Hunter is no frills, but the simple story and setting meant he had to do more with his acting. Jose Gomez is a conflicted kind of bandit leader, which Milian does so well in other films like Tepepa and Companeros. What I really enjoyed about The Bounty Hunter, though, is the way Milian manages to convey that conflict and give the character so much more energy than the script and directing deserved. For me, the ending of the film was massively enhanced by a virtuoso performance from Milian.[/quote]

So that’s how I see Milian also.
He was also good as Cuchillo, but in most of his other films a different actor would have been an improvement. Especially in Companeros, cause I love that film.

I also like him in his Chaplin homage in the 2 Provvidenza films, especially in the 2nd one, which is sio much better.

I voted for The Big Gundown but I also think Milian was made for the role of Vasco in Compañeros.

of course big gundown and the bounty killer

although his performances are always good, i don’t think that in big gundown he did his best.

[quote=“Novecento, post:19, topic:572”]Companeros and Tepepa for me - he’s really got that whole Che Guevara thing going in those two.

I think I would have included The Big Gundown too, but we never get to hear Milian speak in his own voice so I find it impossible to really rate him.[/quote]

I can’t believe I forgot to include Run Man Run. I absolutely love him in that one.

I thought he was amazing in Big Gundown…I just watched Das Schlitzohr und der Bulle. Not one of his best