The best of terence hill

I’m wondering though. If you walk around the streets of Italy or Germany and ask random people if he has ever heard of Garko, Steffen, Lawrence etc…

What are the chances that he or she will say yes?

I think there is a difference between achieving “stardom” and being a household name where most everybody knows who you are.

Of course, they are obscure cult-stars today, not mainstream or art-house :wink:

I think they were relatively famous back in the 60s and 70s when the genre-movie industry still existed at Cinecitta, and this is what SD is talking about.

Col. Douglas Mortimer-I didn’t know Terence Hill was Mario Girotti until I rekindled my interest in this genre as an adult. I knew he had a real name but didn’t know it. - I first saw the “Trinity” films as a kid. I think I was aware at the time that those were spaghetti westerns but I don’t think I knew T. Hill wasn’t from the US. We only knew him as “Terence Hill.” As a matter of fact, the only spagwestern stars I knew as a teen were Eastwood, Van Cleef, Wallach, Hill, and Spencer.

Never viewed any Winnetou-movies.

As a Brit I like to complain :D.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:44, topic:576”]Never viewed any Winnetou-movies.

As a Brit I like to complain :D.[/quote]
complaining is reserved for germans, as well as watching winnetou, hehe

I think the SW genre evolved and than went extinct. I think comedies may have ruined the genre, but the demise of SW’s was was going to happen anyway, even without comedies. I think what really killed the genre was the amount of SW’s being produced from 67-70 which oversaturated the market.

Its just like how Star Trek lost its popularity because there were two many TV shows and movies all at once.

I know what you’re saying here but for some reason I’m humming Bowie’s ‘Golden Years’. :wink:

It’s a fair point. In fact it could be argued that rather than killing off the genre these comedies kept it going for a couple more years. They were, after all, extremely popular at the time.

WINNETOU MOVIES 1963-1968 STEWART GRANGER LEX BARKER

Are watched/loved/collected by ALL Europeans including ITALIANS/Germans &World wide :smiley:

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:41, topic:576”]I’m wondering though. If you walk around the streets of Italy or Germany and ask random people if he has ever heard of Garko, Steffen, Lawrence etc…

What are the chances that he or she will say yes?

I think there is a difference between achieving “stardom” and being a household name where most everybody knows who you are.[/quote][quote=“Lindberg, post:42, topic:576”]Of course, they are obscure cult-stars today, not mainstream or art-house :wink:

I think they were relatively famous back in the 60s and 70s when the genre-movie industry still existed at Cinecitta, and this is what SD is talking about.[/quote]

YES Col. DM and Lindberg you have captured the essence of the SW LEADING MEN.
Whenever I go to Italy/Spain/Holland etc these SW GREATS , GIALLO/HORROR GREATS

PETER LEE LAWRENCE/Garko/Nero/Steffen/Hilton/Damon/Harrison etc are extremely
well known, popular, discussed and MEMORABILIA is sought on them and their films.
NOBODY ever asks for film stills/posters/pressbooks on arty/crappy/dull “dramas” what
they know/love/ask for is these wonderful SW leading men and the SW/Giallo Films.
I should know as I have attended 100s of cinema shops/Films fairs/fans gatherings.

I have also seen just by doing casual searches international shops/blogs/fan sites for
Lawrence/Nero/Garko/Steffen/Craig Hill/Harrison & more SW stars, NOT really ever for
"pretentious" art-house/talky drama with subtitles from obscure foreign “directors”.
Hardly anybody likes/wants/collects that sort of material excepts very “diverse” folk :’(

SWS/GIALLOS/HORROR/SCIFI/THRILLERS/ACTION ADVENTURE are always extremely
popular, escapist, entertaining for all the family. Normal cinema goers do NOT ever seek/like/ collect / recall any of the obscure,/subtitled/ pretentious/sleep inducing drama

LET US KEEP IT THAT WAY !! LONG LIVE
SWS, GIALLOS , WESTERNS, HORROR, THRILLERS, SCIFI, CULT TV SERIES 60s/70s

Haha, you’re as crazy as Kinski SD :smiley: :wink:

SWS/GIALLOS/HORROR/SCIFI/THRILLERS/ACTION ADVENTURE are always extremely popular, escapist, entertaining for all the family. Normal cinema goers do NOT ever seek/like/ collect / recall any of the obscure,/subtitled/ pretentious/sleep inducing drama

Normal cinema goers buy/watch Hollywood mainstream these days, or classic mainstream movies, and some people like art-movies from around the world.

Make no mistake, we are the alternative or the cult-audience 8)

I will have to ask my Mother if my Father is a German then :D.

Totally agree. We ARE the shit ;D

NO Lindberg I am deadly serious :o Dont mis-understand my posting .

“normal cinema goers” I mean people who then attend film fairs, collect posters/stills write on blogs, fans sites,they also see films of course at cinema/dvd/satellite…

As I stated these 1000s and 1000s of Film Fans who I have met, spoken, traded with,
bought and sold film collections, exchanged memorabilia, discussed stars and films &more so I know what I am talking about before posting.

I REPEAT As I STATED :

These “cinema goers/collectors/film fair fans/blogs&fan sites writers etc” ALL these
DO NOT hardly ever SEEK/LIKE/COLLECT/RECALL any of the obscure/subtitled/pretentious/sleep inducing drama, including so called “mainstream”.
What is SOUGHT/LIKED/COLLECTED/RECALLED is hugely popular, very cult, classic :

MOSTLY 1950s/1960s/1970s Memorabilia

HAMMER FILMS (original posters, stills pressbooks and any memorabilia)
SWS/GIALLO FILMS (as above )
HORROR FILMS (as above
THRILLERS FILMS (As above
SCIFI FILMS (as above
VINTAGE WESTERNS/SCIFI/ADVENTURE

Some collecting will also focus on current hit films, but that is not anything “major”.

I have hardly ever/NEVER seen at 100s of film fairs/conventions I attended any demand
for weird/obscure/subtitled/pretentious arty/farty/crappy DRAMAS that critics love and
every other normal sane person HATES.

That was my posting and my analysis based on my personal experience, research, facts

Do you pick up decent stuff at the film fairs SD?

Po-oooh :cry: you speak for yourself AvatarDk ??? dont include me in that :o

Yes Ennioo there are always many excellent bargains, trades, collectors items to be bought and sold at film fair/conventions.

You would think as Lindberg assumes that it is all “mainstream” and “current” but it is NOT and I can say that having attended 100s of fairs, been there, saw it and the demand/trade is for what I have been stating and praising here for weeks :

HAMMER POPULAR 50s/60s/70s TV SERIES SWS HORROR SCIFI THRILLERS

We must NOT under-estimate the popularity & greatness of the genres we love Ennioo
:slight_smile:

If you just blindly say we are “a cult” and thus a minority you are defeating yourself :cry:
I know different , I have seen different, The dealers and sales at fairs prove my point.
The mainstream / current 2000s Cruise, Pitt, Hanks stuff is everywhere it does not
get any sort of “high price” it is not collected in any numbers compared to what I listed.

SD, “We are the shit” is american slang for “We’re the best”.

I wish we had those type of conventions/film fairs here in Canada. Nobody ever talks about SW’s here in Canada except for Leone.

:smiley: :o Sniff you don’t say Col. DM if thats what it means, it is still far too “smelly” for me :smiley:
Joking apart I have to say that I do not like the term and people who dont know its
meaning will think …that YOU ARE…SH*IT… ???
I will use instead “we are the business” or “we are the tops” :wink:

Yes I fear the magic/greatness of SWS has not yet reached Canada…but there is hope :slight_smile:
Canadians who want film fair action, will need to travel to the USA I think.

SD, people at these film fairs are not normal cinema-goers, or perhaps not even normal people :smiley:

SD attending a film fair:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:53, topic:576”]I have hardly ever/NEVER seen at 100s of film fairs/conventions I attended any demand
for weird/obscure/subtitled/pretentious arty/farty/crappy DRAMAS that critics love and
every other normal sane person HATES.[/quote]
You are probably dismissing a couple of billion people as not sane then, SD. Not that I want to contest your point, but that is what you’re doing :slight_smile:

I’ll take a guess and say that the number of people really interested in spaghetti westerns / gialli / other non-mainstream stuff probably number in the low few (1-2) thousands in Denmark. OK, so there’s about 5½ million people in Denmark, which means that a considerable amount do not give a damn / care or even know what we select people are dealing with. I’ll take a quick guess and say that the ratio is about the same in other countries, so yes we are a minority, SD, but there’s nothing wrong with that as long as one realizes it :slight_smile:

Yes I think those film fairs are catered towards cult films. There are no mainstream film fairs since you don’t have to go to a film fair to get merchandise on mainstream films you can just go to department stores like Wal Mart.

I’m sure there are film fairs for big budget genre movies like Lord of the Rings, Star wars, because those movies are very much merchandise driven and could be considered “cult” on a very large scale.

I’ve been to one Star trek convention. Yes, those are not normal people hahaha. Alot of nerds lol.

But I think the fact that SW’s are obscure is part of the charm.