The Beatles vs. The Rolling Stones

A funny thing after all that talk about how different the Beatles and the Stones were: when I first listened to Aftermath I thought it sounded very close to the Beatles.

I can hang with 'em up until Tattoo You, then they lose me.

I read in a book written by a Dutch expert on the Stones (Boudewijn Büch), that the Stones in their first years had problems to find (or write) recordable songs. They had mainly recorded covers or songs written by thirds and Jagger and Richards found it difficult to find their own sound. There were contacts between the members of both groups, and Lennon&McCartney offered to help. It’s not very known, but I guess it’s true. Büch woundn’t ever make up such a story: he adores the Stones and hates the Beatles.

Aftermath is called, on Wiki, their first album that is entirely filled with own material. It’s not unlikely that there still is some influence from L &McC.

I think i read somewhere that both bands not dislike each other. The whole battle of the bands is rather made up i think. And its hard to compare them.
I like the stones much more, even though I cant stand the song satisfaction. But others are just great.

I like to listen to them when i drive around in my dads volkswagen beetle.

The Stones by far. The Beatles’ weird pop such as “I Am The Walrus” and much of the material from the White Album is just annoying. I don’t like the Beatles’ first two or three albums, either. The Stones should have stopped after Tattoo You.

[quote=“valenciano, post:24, topic:2229”]I think i read somewhere that both bands not dislike each other. The whole battle of the bands is rather made up i think. And its hard to compare them.
I like the stones much more, even though I cant stand the song satisfaction. But others are just great.

I like to listen to them when i drive around in my dads volkswagen beetle.[/quote]
Isn’t that when you should listen to the Beatles ;D?

Whoever you like, what can’t be disputed is The Beatles made infinitely more groundbreaking & creative music. Revolver, Sgt. Peppers & Magical Mystery Tour feature production & experimentation found nowhere on any Stones album (or for most any other mainstream group for that matter). Their lack of touring granted them way more time to work in the studio & try different things. During this time especially they were much more than just a band.