The ballad of little jo (1993)

Woman learns the best way to survive in the harsh wild west is to disguise herself as a man.
has anyone else seen this film? what are your views on it? I think it’s an atmospheric, realistic western based on a true incident.Not much happens but it’s watchable and compelling, and very well acted especially by Suzy Amis.Does not quite make the most of it’s potential but it has a good sense and feel of the period and is intelligently done. also stars Bo Hopkins, Ian Mckellan, David Chung, Anthony Heald,Heather Graham,Ruth Maleeczech, Melissa Leo,Sam Robards,Rene Auberjonois.

It was an interesting film, but I had somehow expected much more out of it after reading several favourable critics.

I really liked it (as did my wife). As you say, intelligently done. I knew nothing about it when I first saw it so had no prior expectations.

I thought it was well done and a nice twist on the western theme of the individual. This time a woman trying to make her way in a man’s world and having to create a completely new identity for herself in order to survive.

Nice film but probably not one if your looking for an action flick.