Texas, Adios / Texas, addio (Ferdinando Baldi, 1966)

seconded

i think Blindman is Baldiā€™s best western

Donā€™t think so

I prefer both tThe Forgotten pistolero and Texas Addio to Blindman

I prefer Blindman to little Rita, though

Iā€™m definitely more of a fan of BLINDMAN than TEXAS ADIOS. Itā€™s just more interesting to me. But then again, Iā€™m also a big fan of the ZATOICHI blind swordsman series, so Iā€™m probably pre-disposed to be partial to Anthonyā€™s SW reinterpretation.

Have not seen it yet. Is it similar to other Baldi movies?

Didnā€™t like this one. The only thing I really dug about it was the shootout where Nero does the behind the back shot. Other than that this film didnā€™t have much going for it.

There wasnā€™t anything really horrible about it(outside of Alberto Dellā€™Acquaā€™s acting) but there were a number of cheesy elements like the constant shooting of ropes at long distance(only to miss grown men up close) and the silly fist fights that popped up every ten minutes.

Then on top of that the scipt simply wasnt interesting nor were the characters. Everything about it was bland and even the twist was lame IMO. Wosrt of all, the film was flat out dull.

Im much more interested in Baldis other films but unfortunately this was the only one readily avalible.

Just watched it and quite enjoyed it. I would say it had that American feel but also several SW-like moments so I wasnā€™t disappointed at all.

Great cinematography and nice locations in this film.

3/5 stars from me, but just a shade under 4/5.

Nero looks great in this one. His gun and rifle action is superb.

In Germany it is (of course) another Django movieā€¦

One of the few SWs Iā€™ve seen in a cinema, when it was paired with Django on the re-release of that film in the early 90s.

A compromise between traditional American Westerns - that was always Baldiā€™s intention, according to Nero - and the cruelty and obsessive vindictiveness of the European version.

The weak link is definitely Alberto Dellā€™Acqua, but then that was so often the case.

It looks terrific, though. Enzo Barboni truly was one of the genreā€™s finest cinematographers. (It was while making this film that Nero claims to have been offered the role of Trinity by Barboni, who was apparently planning his most famous film even back then.)

Ok, he plays Neroā€™s lilā€™ brother, but still youā€™re right. I didnā€™t like him much either.

SPOILER:

The best part of the movie was probably when he got blown away.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:smiley:

It reminds me of Hellbenders a little. Not the story of course but the feel I agree is a sw/american hybrid. Itā€™s hard to rate movies based on a five star scale. 1 to 10 would be easier. Itā€™s a 6 to me.

I was genuinely interested in the unusually well-developed story. The gunplay and fistfights are clear at all times and excellently staged. Technically it is competent all around. I was pleasantly surprised with this SW. One of my favorites.

I really enjoy this film as wellā€¦one of those ones Iā€™ve revisted a few times in the recent past.

Though I realize it is somewhat of a minor film, TEXAS ADIOS is one of my favorites.
Perhaps it is the wonderful music score that sold me on it, or the brief appearance by my favorite SW gal, Silvana Bacciā€¦or the locatoins, or Franco Neroā€¦
All I know is that I like it!

As for Baldiā€™s best Westerns.
I would have to say that THE FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO is my favorite of his work. Next would be BLINDMAN, followed by this film.

Canā€™t follow your appreciation for Texas Adios.
Like most of Baldiā€™s westerns itā€™s again a pretty uneven film. I can spot a few good looking scenes, many routine stuff, but also a lot of weakly directed material. And the story is also far from convincing. Didnā€™t find much of interest in it.

The big shoot-out between the citizens and the bandits near the end is one of this poorly made action scenes which look ridiculous in their naivety. The other action scenes are mostly ok for me, but nothing special.
Well, the fistfights ā€¦, I always wished there would have been a ban-the-fistfights rule for SWs. Apart from comedies I never liked them very much in any kind of films. Except if they are very short and explosive. Same goes for knife fights.

So I think for this film we very much disagree. But your top 20 was quite interesting as there are some of my favourites and also some films I really donā€™t care for. Always a pleasure to see how tastes vary.

haha, thatā€™s so true. Of all the sw fistfights only ones i can remember fondly are the ones with Franco Nero, he moves so fast and furiosuly.

The ones in Django shoots first arenā€™t bad

As they are in Today Itā€™s Meā€¦ - the fights are brutal and brief, with bodies smashing into tables etc and the blows actually seeming painful.

And the thing about fistfights is you can take a mental break without stopping the film :slight_smile: .