Talk Whatever

It’s my twelfth day of having Covid. Feeling a darn sight better now, than I did. Managed today to get out for some fresh air and a very short walk. Still feeling weak, but that could be related to my ‘CFS’ (M.E.).
All in all, I count myself lucky that I’ve gotten off as lightly as I have.

Thank you to all the amigos for their best wishes… :+1:

A friend of mine popped round this morning to deliver two bottles of red vino - to further aid the recovery… :wink:
I’m particularly looking forward to tasting ‘The Man From Nowhere’:cowboy_hat_face:

Hoping to watch a good film later…possibly Steve McQueen’s oft overlooked epic, ‘The Sand Pebbles’ (1966)…

6 Likes

@Phil_H and myself just drank our way through a local saloon after visiting the Bud Spencer Museum

14 Likes

We touched the infamous dune buggy of course…

And now on Netflix (in theaters in Italy):

1 Like

Missed you getting COVID because I haven’t been here for a few weeks but glad you’re okay mate.

2 Likes

Many thanks, Bill Willer.
Tested negative for Covid now, but it has left me feeling pretty tired and washed out.
All the best, and stay well yourself.

5 Likes

Glad your starting to feel better @Toscano, it’s strange how some people get a light dose and others get hit hard, just the way it is unfortunately. That you’re on the mend is a very good sign, just keep the liquids going. Stay strong and positive my friend.

1 Like

Two of the many nice guys on the Forum hanging out together, so cool. I wish I wasn’t afraid of flying and that vacationing in Europe wasn’t so dang expensive, I’d visit all the friends I’ve made here across the Ocean in a heart beat.

2 Likes

I read that there is commotion in Germany about Winnetou. A new book from “Ravensburger Verlag” based upon the latest movie " Der junge Häuptling Winnetou". The film and book would be too stereotyping of the characters.

As a child I read the books and if there was ever respect for the Indians (and foreigners) it was in these books. It dealt with good and bad in all races and the interaction between the races. Haven’t seen the movie or read the new book so judging this commotion is a bit presumptuous but the original books of Mr. May are also banned at the moment. I read the Dutch editor follows the German editor.

What world do we live in.

1 Like

Oh dear… this will probably lead us way down the rabbit hole… First of all nothing is banned. And the commission is about some third party books/toys inspired by the recent children’s movie, not the original novels. Secondly, if a publishing house decides to take some of their own merch off the market, it is their choice.

I have, like many others, read May’s books and later watched the movie adaptations, and while consuming these may be fine for adults, if some people want to have a more critical discussion as to whether it’s necessary to mold 19th c. colonial stereotypes of the American west into children’s promo material, then I think it’s at least fair to have that discussion (because there is ample to discuss).
I would rather the publisher had considered this before producing it all, because now there’s all this commotion… which to be fair has a lot to do with slow news summer. And I’m not in favor of removing stuff from the market because of some outrage, but I think the company should’ve predicted it… it’s kind of a self made non-scandal.

But I think your memory of May’s books (which isn’t what this commotion is about, it is about some inspired the movie books and toys) may be a bit misremembered. While May painted kind of a fairytale version of the West, which he had never seen until late in his life, his writing is in fact full of antiquated stereotypes, colonial mindsets and quite racist descriptions of groups of people. It’s because his stories are wrapped in this fairytale way and because we look at May as some naive ignorant fool from the 19th centory who didn’t know any better, that we often don’t notice or didn’t notice. Or choose not to notice?

Anyways I find the whole thing ridiculous nonetheless, and most folks involved in the commotion (which now includes us) are probably academically underquipped to have the discussion in a meaningful manner.
Edit: For those unaware, here is an article that nicely summarizes what’s going on Withdrawal of Winnetou books stirs outrage – DW – 08/24/2022

2 Likes

Sadly, the same thing can be said for a great deal of academia these days. :laughing:

Anyone here seen it yet?

And what a pleasure it was.
Next time let’s make it back in Almeria, Seb.

3 Likes

Just found this ‘Clockwork Orange’ spoof on ‘Youtube’…“Viddy well little brothers…”

https://youtu.be/7TP860A9wdY

1 Like

Hey Amigos, I fnally took plunge and got a Facebook profile. Didn’t want to initially but the site wouldn’t let me see my favorite movie news pages any more, so I got one going. If anyone wants to friend me there please let me know and I’ll PM you my page, I’ve already sent a friend request to our @Admin.

I would @makesthemovie but I’ve been avoiding Facebook like the plague. Hope you have a good time with it though!

yeah, me too. Its sad to say but this is the closest thing I have to any social media.

1 Like

It’s raining cats and dogs here in the state of New Jersey, and I couldn’t be happier. After what seemed like forever of sun dried drought, some dreary weather is welcomed with open arms.

1 Like

Same but I’m more than happy keeping it that way.

3 Likes

as long as you’re on there following the SWDb, all is good in the west :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just saw on Google that Queen Elizabeth II’s health isn’t good right now, keeping positive thoughts here in the States. This has me concerned for both her, and for the friends I’ve made here who are from the UK as things might get chaotic should it get worse for The Queen. I wish all my UK buds the best in safety, and that things stay calm in these strange times.