SWDb Spaghetti Western Hall of Fame

The 2017 SWDB Hall of Fame Inductees are:

Brett Halsey
Jose Torres
Maurizio Graf

Awesome. Three very deserving inductees. I’ll try to get the bios done this weekend. Thanks for voting guys!

2 Likes

Happy with all of those additions to the hall.

I am happy as I voted for all three !

I’d like to repeat my nominations for next year :wink:

I know lol. Year after year none of my nominations ever get inducted and I run this show for crying out loud lol.

All deserving inductees indeed. By the way, when was an actress inducted the last time?

Great choices, and thoroughly deserving!

I’m especially happy about Maurizio Graf…his vocals on ‘A Pistol For Ringo’, and ‘The Return of Ringo’, have always been favourites of mine.

2011! I’m gonna put actresses in the B category next year along with writers/producers etc…

Femi Benussi came really close this year.

LEAD ACTOR
Brett Halsey aka Montgomery Ford
June 20, 1933 (Santa Ana CA, USA) -

Sometimes credited as “Montgomery Ford”, the son of famed World War II Admiral William Halsey Jr. was a leading man in five Spaghetti Westerns, his best known being the 1968 Magnificent Seven- esque box office smash Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die. This established Halsey as one of the more successful of the American Import actors during the Spaghetti Western craze. He also starred in Mario Bava’s comedy Western, Roy Colt & Winchester Jack (1970). Outside of the Spaghetti Western genre, Halsey enjoyed a prolific international acting career spanning seven decades, including supporting roles in The Godfather: Part III (1990), To Hell and Back (1955), Return of the Fly (1959) and Twice Told Tales (1963), as well as numerous well known television shows. He won a Golden Globe in 1960 for Most Promising Newcomer. Outside of acting, he continues to work as a novelist and acting instructor.
Year of Induction: 2017

1 Like

Hey guys can anybody help me upload the bios for this year and last year’s inductees to the hall of fame page? I also need the wanted posters to be bigger. They look shrunken. Thanks alot. Much appreciated.

I had difficulty finding information on him so if anybody else knows anything more about him that I should add in please let me know!

Maurizio Graf

Observer/Miscellaneous

A friend and collaborator of Ennio Morricone, Graf delighted audiences with his velvety, sensual vocals, contributing his talents to the main themes of several hit Spaghetti Westerns. Capable of singing both in Italian and English, he performed lead vocals for the ballads “Angel Face” in A Pistol for Ringo (1965), “Il ritorno di Ringo” in The Return of Ringo (1965), and “Find a Man” in Johnny Hamlet (1968). He also performed, uncredited, in the unused vocal version of “Occhio Per Occhio” aka “Eye for an Eye” in For a Few Dollars More (1965) as well as writing and performing the unused vocal version of “Da uomo a uomo” aka “As Man to Man” in Death Rides a Horse (1967). Outside of the Spaghetti Western genre, he also wrote and performed for the Italian spy spoof “Mission Bloody Mary” 1965. In January 2012 he made a comeback of sorts, performing “Angel Face” with the Spaghetti Western Orchestra at Queen Elizabeth Hall in London.
Year of Induction: 2017

His real name is Maurizio Attanasio

He sang the song ‘Uomo’ on the closing credits of 1968 TV series I racconti del maresciallo (six episodes from Mario Soldati’s collection of short stories).

1 Like

I sadly have no knowledge on Maurizio to offer but it’s great to see him be inducted. If it wasn’t for him I genuinely don’t think the Ringo movies or Johnny Hamlet would have been anywhere near as good as they are, despite all the other talented people who worked on them.

I agree.

Maurizio - even though he didn’t do as many themes as ‘Raoul’ (for Francesco de Masi) - has performed a few superlative themes, that will live forever in the mind of most ‘SWDB’ afficienados.

Certainly will. I’ll never forget the first time I heard “I kiss at last the beloved ground of my land” or “Find a man who never killed…” for as long as I live. Something so haunting and yet comforting at the same time about his voice.

Hi.

I think that everything that Maurizio did was excellent.

As for ‘Find a Man’, from ‘Johnny Hamlet’, I totally agree. In fact, ‘J. Hamlet’ is one of my favourite films…and now…thinking about it…Maurizio’s theme IS one of the main reasons why I love the film.

Having said that, if I had to put just three of Maurizio’s themes in order of preference, they would be:

‘A Pistol For Ringo’
‘Find A Man…’
‘Return of Ringo’

All the very best.

1 Like

The problem is they’re all so good it’s so hard to compare them. [quote=“Toscano, post:1120, topic:2068”]
As for ‘Find a Man’, from ‘Johnny Hamlet’, I totally agree. In fact, ‘J. Hamlet’ is one of my favourite films…and now…thinking about it…Maurizio’s theme IS one of the main reasons why I love the film.
[/quote]

Same. One of the few problems I have with Johnny Hamlet is that when the song is played over the final credits it fades out way too quick. I’d happily sit and watch a black screen just to listen to the song until the end.

For me personally it’d be:

‘Find a Man’
‘The Return of Ringo’
‘A Pistol for Ringo’

The problem is they’re all so good it’s difficult to rank them, but I agree they are all at the top.

Agreed.

Another great thing about ‘Johnny Hamlet’, is the fantastic cast.

I mean, not only do you have Andrea Giordana, but also the ever-excellent Gilbert Roland, and Horst Frank.

Although I’ve never been a fan of Shakespeare, I must admit to loving this ‘adaption’ of ‘Hamlet’; and, also that other great Spaghetti Shakespeare adaption of ‘Romeo & Juliet’, ‘The Fury of Johnny Kid’…

However, having said that, one of the main reasons I like ‘Fury of J. Kid’, is because it features the very beautiful Christina Galbo…

I must admit that my heart tends to beat slightly faster, when this lovely lady makes an appearance on screen…

Both ‘Johnny Hamlet’ & ‘Fury of J. Kidd’ are high on my list of likes.

I haven’t seen ‘The Fury of Johnny Kid’ yet. I’ll try and get hold of it if it’s on a similar level to Johnny…

I think, hopefully, that you will enjoy it.

It’s a ‘Spaghetti’ take on the ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Shakespeare tale; albeit, with several lashings of bullets and blood thrown in, ‘Italiano’ style!

As well as starring the ever-beautiful Christina Galbo, it also stars Peter Lee Lawrence (I’ve never been a great fan of PLL, but I like him in this); and the ever-dependable Piero Lulli.

The version I have, is the Koch Media DVD. However, whichever version you watch, I’m sure you’ll have a good watch.

All the best.