SWDb Spaghetti Western Hall of Fame

Just highlight the body of text you want to quote, and a “Quote Reply” box will appear. Select that, and you’re golden. :smile:

Thanks alot. I just did it for the first time for your post!

What stage are we at now, Colonel?

Should be done within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for checking in!

Hey guys. Its almost that time of year again!

Shit I still haven’t put up the bios for last years inductions. My deepest apologies. I’m working 7 days a week now but I have vacation coming up in december and will get those done soon.

Stay tuned over the coming days.

If you need any help, just tell me

It’s your idea, your section, but I’m always willing to help a good friend

Michele Lupo
December 4, 1932 (Corleone, Sicily, Italy)- June 27, 1989 (Rome)
While he excelled primarily as a director of comedies, the five Spaghetti Westerns of Michele Lupo are an eclectic and memorable mix, spanning the early days of the genre all the way up to the post twilight years. Lupo started his career in the 1950s, working often as an assistant director. In 1961, Lupo got his first big break, working as Sergio Leone’s assistant director in Colossus of Rhodes. Lupo went on to be main director in 23 more films. His first western was the Franco and Ciccio comedy, For a Fist in the Eye aka Fistful of Knuckles (1965). The next year he made Arizona Colt (1966), which proved to be very successful, starring Italian box office King Giuliano Gemma. He worked with Gemma again in the western comedy, Ben and Charlie (1972). In 1977, Lupo made arguably his finest western, California, once again starring Gemma. The film’s sentimentality and bleakness was a surprising departure from his earlier lighthearted fare. He returned to comedy for his final western, Buddy Goes West (1981), starring Bud Spencer. Outside of the genre, Lupo’s best known films were collaborations with Spencer, including Bulldozer (1978), E.T. and the Sheriff (1979), and Bomber (1982).

Year of Induction: 2016

2 Likes

Don’t think it was from 1965 (the Ringo movies were), it’s usually listed as a 1966 movie

Corrected! I’ll do Joseph Egger tonight and hopefully Joe D’Amato tommorow. Nominations will start sometime this week.

Joseph Egger
February 22, 1889 (Donawitz, Styria, Austria)- August 29, 1966, (Gablitz)

With his quirky, bearded countenance and comical flair, the Austrian born Egger was one of the most memorable character actors in the Spaghetti Western Genre, playing eccentric old codgers in the first two films of Sergio Leone’s “Man with No Name” Trilogy, much to Audience’s delight. He first played Peripero, the coffin maker in A Fistful of Dollars (1954), and followed with an appearance in For a Few Dollars More (1965), playing the Old Prophet. He also made appearances in two “Sauerkraut Westerns”, Die Goldsucher von Arkansas (1964) and Die schwarzen Adler von Santa Fe (1965). Besides westerns, Egger enjoyed a decades long career as a stage actor and music hall comedian in Austria, while making dozens of appearances in European film, most notably Sissi: The Young Empress (1966). Sadly, he passed away only a few months after the release of For a Few Dollars More.

Cinematographer
Joe D’Amato
December 25, 1936, (Rome, Italy) - January 23, 1999 (Rome)

Born Aristide Massaccesi, the irrepressible Joe D’Amato (along with his many other pseudonyms) is best known for his career as an exploitation film director. However, he also worked as a camera operator, actor, producer, writer, editor and assistant director in his decades long film making career, and his work as a cinematographer in the Spaghetti Western genre cannot be denied. D’Amato worked as a cinematographer on 9 Spaghetti Westerns, including Ben and Charlie (1972) and A Barrel Full of Dollars aka Showdown for a Badman (1971). His other Spaghetti Western contributions include operating the camera in 14 films including No Room to Die (1969) and Twice a Judas (1969), as well as co-directing 4 more films and directing Killers of the Savage North (1975). Outside of the Spaghetti Western genre, D’Amato directed around 200 films in various exploitation genres, including many adult films. His best known work includes Antropophagus (1980), Beyond the Darkness (1979) and the Blade Master (1984).

Okay Amigos. I finally got the bios done for this year’s inductees. If someone can help me load them onto the site that would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/SWDB_Hall_of_Fame

And its time to move on to next year’s inductees!

Nominations for the 2017 Spaghetti Western Database Hall of Fame begin now!! To make a nomination, here are the rules:

1. Don’t choose someone who’s already inducted (obviously)
  2. You can nominate up to two people only.
  3. One of your nominations must come from one of the following categories (Director, Lead Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Composer)
  4. One of your nominations must come from one of the following categories (Cinematographer, Writer, Producer, Miscellaneous Contributor)
  5. So for example, you cannot nominate two directors, and you cannot nominate a lead actor and a supporting actor, but you can nominate a director and a producer, got it?

Okay begin now!!! You got until Sunday December 4 at Midnight.

He’s not garnered a lot of support in the past, but I’d like to re-nominate Jose Torres, the Venezuelan-born actor who made appearances in the following spaghettis:

• 1964 - Two Gangsters in the WIld West
  • 1965 - Blood at Sundown
  • 1965 - 30 Winchesters for El Diablo
  • 1966 - Degueyo
  • 1966 - The Big Gundown (most of his scenes cut, he appears as a corpse)
  • 1967 - Death Rides a Horse
  • 1967 - Any Gun Can Play
  • 1967 - Face to Face
  • 1968 - Django Prepare a Coffin
  • 1968 - Go For Broke
  • 1968 - Run Man Run
  • 1969 - Tepepa
  • 1969 - God Will Forgive My Pistol
  • 1969 - Sartana the Gravedigger
  • 1969 - Five Man Army
  • 1970 - Django Defies Sartana
  • 1971 - Durango Is Coming, Pay or Die
  • 1971 - And His Name Was Holy Ghost
  • 1971 - Death Is Sweet from the Soldier of God (Finally given a co-starring role)

You’ll recognize his face, surely!

I think his best work is seen in Tepepa, though there’s a scene I really enjoy in Faccia a Faccia where Gian Maria Volonte is lying to an older outlaw at the commune about his reputation, and our understanding of what he’s doing depends completely on Torres’ (playing Bennet’s Raider gang member Aaron Chase) dialogue-less response.

Glad to see this happen.

Good Call Cat Stevens.

Explaining why your nominee deserves to be inducted can up your chances of your nominee getting more votes.

I nominate:

Henry Fonda - Lead Actor
I nominated him last year and he barely missed out.

Bruno Corbucci - Writer
Sergio’s baby bro had a hand in writing the story some very important westerns.

Time is running out to list your nominations! You got until Sunday December 4 at Midnight.

Ok my nominees are two guys who just seem to have been overlooked for too long. Both were involved in a whole bunch of Spags, both are very well known to all Italian western fans and both are easily recognisable to anyone who takes more than a passing interest in the genre; one for his face, the other for his voice.

In the category of Lead Actor I nominate Peter Lee Lawrence.

In the category of Contributor I nominate Maurizio Graf.

A quick glance at Lawrence’s credits tells you he was as active in the genre as almost anyone and although I know he is not everyone’s idea of what a Spaghetti lead actor should look like I believe he grows on you the more you see of his films and he was involved in some pretty good films actually. Personally, I have come to really like him over the years and in Fury of Johnny Kid he has one of my all time favourite Spags on his CV.

And Marizio Graf, what do I really have to say to push his case for inclusion? Go listen to the opening credits of Return of Ringo and you should be sold. But if that’s not enough try Johnny Hamlet. Well, you get the picture.

@Phil_H, remember 2014? :slight_smile:

I feel like I do this every year. Looked through the hall of fame and completely missed seeing him there. Oh well, let’s try again. Graf still stands but my other nomination is Brett Halsey. Today it’s Me…Tomorrow You and Wrath of God are good enough reasons.