SWDb Spaghetti Western Hall of Fame

The first true SW? You’re kidding.

I don’t think you need anyone’s permission Col. Just go right ahead. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Claudia is a reasonable nomination for sure but she surely wasn’t the first female lead in a Spaghetti. Lola Falana (Lola Colt) and Rita Pavone (Rita Nel West) are obvious names who immediately spring to mind. She may well qualify as the most beautiful though. :slight_smile:

CC, as much a s I like her, and of course her one SW is not an unfamous one, but it’s still only one film, and in contrast to Eastwood it wasn’t one which changed her career very much. She shouldn’t be in, like all the others who made only a short visit to the genre.

Same goes for Henry Fonda or James Coburn.

We should really concentrate on people who were really important for the genre, who are still identified with the genre.

For me it’s also without any doubt the first SW. I still call in my mind the pre Fistful westerns Italian westerns, not SWs. Italian westerns as part of the Euro westerns in contrast to the SWs, which were different.

I think the categories Writers and Editors are quite hard ones. Of course we can say GBU is a great film, so the writers and editors are great as well. But I think that’s too easy. Has anyone round here ever read a script of a SW?

Maybe I’m a bit too finical.

Generally I wuld say that a SW hall of fame should have SW categories and not the usual “and the Oscar goes to…” kind of categories.

Therefore we should have categories like:

Best Villain
Best Gunplay
Best Anti-hero

[quote=“Dillinger, post:26, topic:2068”]I think the categories Writers and Editors are quite hard ones. Of course we can say GBU is a great film, so the writers and editors are great as well. But I think that’s too easy. Has anyone round here ever read a script of a SW?

Maybe I’m a bit too finical.[/quote]

I think this is actually a good point. Apart from anything else, in the wonderful world of Spaghetti co production credits, it is pretty difficult to know who really did what in these areas. I would suggest we stick to the following:

Actor
Actress
Director
Composer
Cinematographer

and then have special honours for individuals who made a genuine impact in another field.

I do think a section for supporting actors would be a good idea too though. There has to be an opportunity for Robledo, Boyd, Pazzafini and the like to get their moment in the sun.

Maybe for people like Claudia Cardinale or James Coburn there should be something like a special award. Even Clint made only three SW ! :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree with you. The one’s before Fistful were what you could call “Euro Westerns”.

You forget Gunfight At Red Sands.

[quote=“Dillinger, post:26, topic:2068”]Generally I wuld say that a SW hall of fame should have SW categories and not the usual “and the Oscar goes to…” kind of categories.

Therefore we should have categories like:

Best Villain
Best Gunplay
Best Anti-hero[/quote]
Obviously we don’t want to have it end up as a “and the Oscar goes to…”, but if we start putting segmants of film into the Hall of Fame, (i. e. “Best Gunplay”) as opposed to people, I think it rather defeats the point. It’s suppose to reward the great people behind “Best Gunplay” and other such things.

Gunfight at Red Sands is a good one and IMO the best Pre-Fistful SW. It even has a Morricone Soundtrack :slight_smile:

I think this is all going off topic way too far. What we have to decide on is a definative list of nominees.

[quote=“Phil H, post:27, topic:2068”]I think this is actually a good point. Apart from anything else, in the wonderful world of Spaghetti co production credits, it is pretty difficult to know who really did what in these areas. I would suggest we stick to the following:

Actor
Actress
Director
Composer
Cinematographer

and then have special honours for individuals who made a genuine impact in another field.

I do think a section for supporting actors would be a good idea too though. There has to be an opportunity for Robledo, Boyd, Pazzafini and the like to get their moment in the sun.[/quote]

I’m d’accord!

I could live with that!

No, you are Dillinger

But Gunfight did not launch a genre :wink: To me, Fistful will be the first real spaghetti also, because it is the one that is responsible for the hundreds of spaghettis really. When the films copied the genre style, they weren’t taking elements from Gunfight At Red Sands or any other early period spaghettis…

Ok I’ll go ahead with it.

[quote=“Stanton, post:24, topic:2068”]She shouldn’t be in, like all the others who made only a short visit to the genre.

Same goes for Henry Fonda or James Coburn.

We should really concentrate on people who were really important for the genre, who are still identified with the genre.[/quote]

Yes this is where the votiing will get a little dicey. Its the old quanitity vs quality question. At the end of the day we have to model it after the baseball hall of fame or something equivalent. Only the “Elite” are inducted. Is Claudia Cardinale an “Elite” SW star? Thats for voters to decide.

[quote=“Dillinger, post:26, topic:2068”]Therefore we should have categories like:

Best Villain
Best Gunplay
Best Anti-hero[/quote]

This is more fitting for the “SWDB Oscars”. Maybe we can call it “The Sergios” LOL.

But for a hall of fame, we do not choose scenes or characters or movies. We only choose people in the industry. Thats what a hall of fame is supposed to be.

Taken from Wikipedia:

A hall of fame is a type of museum established for any a field of endeavor to honor individuals of noteworthy achievement in that field.

In some cases, these halls of fame consist of actual halls or museums which enshrine the honorees with sculptures, plaques, and displays of memorabilia. In others the hall of fame is more figurative and simply consists of a list of names of noteworthy individuals maintained by an organization or community.

Directors: Leone, Corbucci and maybe Sollima, Colizzi

Actors: Eastwood, Nero, Van Cleef, Milian, Gemma, Hill, Garko and maybe, but only maybe Volonte

Cinematographers: Alejandro Ulloa, Stelvio Massi, Tonino Delli Dolli

Composers: Morricone, Nicolai, Bacalov, Cipriani, Rustichelli

Producer: Grimaldi

And an important person for the general look of SWs: Carlo Simi

*** Under Construction ***

LEADING ACTORS (Name 10)

• Eastman
  • Eastwood
  • Garko
  • Gemma
  • Hill
  • Hilton
  • Milian
  • Spencer
  • Steffen
  • Van Cleef

LEADING ACTRESSES (Name 10)

• Benussi
  • Cardinale
  • Chanel
  • Giordano, D.
  • Lorys
  • Machiavelli
  • Navarro
  • Neri
  • Nusciak
  • Vitelli

SUPPORTING ACTORS (Name 10)

• Berger
  • Brana
  • Cameron
  • Frank
  • Kinski
  • Martell
  • Mitchell, G.
  • Palance
  • Sambrell
  • Sancho

DIRECTORS (Name 10).

• Baldi
  • Caiano
  • Carnimeo
  • Castellari
  • Corbucci, S.
  • Fidani
  • Leone
  • Mulargia
  • Parolini
  • Sollima

COMPOSERS (Name 10)

• Bacalov
  • De Masi
  • Fidenco
  • Gori
  • Morricone
  • Nicolai
  • Orlandi
  • Ortolani
  • Pregadio
  • Savina

PRODUCERS (Name 5)

• Bolognini
  • Grimaldi
  • Morsella
  • Zingarelli

CINEMATOGRAPHERS (Name 5)

• Barboni
  • D’Amato
  • Delli Colli
  • Ippoliti
  • Zanni

WRITERS (Name 5)

• Carpi
  • Corbucci, B.
  • Di Leo
  • Donati
  • Gastaldi

NON PARICIPANTS (AUTHORS, HISTORIANS, OBSERVERS/REVIEWERS, SITE OWNERS)(Name 5)

• Bruckner
  • Casey
  • Gelten
  • Giusti
  • Haselbeck

I tried sending the ballot to everyone through PM. If you haven’t recieved a ballot and wish to vote just let me know. You can PM or email me your votes or just post it there.