Surprising spaghettis

Hey guys, I’m new here I was just wondering what were some of the SWs that you watched where you expected regular genre fare but were surprised by the quality/profoundness of the film, I’ll start, mine were fury of Johnny kid and taste of vengeance, thanks!

3 Likes

Hmmm…That’s a tough one. A lot of the SWs I’ve seen have had a good amount of quality to them, but I suppose the one that offered a nice dosage of profoundness was Black Jack with Robert Woods. That the film was shot in the deserts of Israel was a real surprise as I expected this vast oasis to be all around everyone, and truly did feel like I was somewhere in Arizona, Texas, or around the US-Mexico Border. Robert Woods also gave a fine performance where you almost literally watch him descend into madness and villainy, slowly losing empathy for him with every killing.

The Great Silence and A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die also might fit this category, but it’s been years since I’ve seen them. I think now that I’m older I might appreciate them better.

1 Like

Yeah, black Jack that’s a good one, Woods finest for my money, it’s actually the film that got me in the more obscure side of spaghettis, thanks!

Better than El puro for you?

Which btw also fits very well the “surprise” category, in more than one respect.

El puro is another great one! I wouldn’t call black Jack better as a whole (both are great) but I found his performance more interesting in Black Jack, although the drunk gunfighter who does not want to kill character is also great, I think I’m gonna have to rewatch El puro sometime soon!

Heads or Tails was the last really surprising one I’ve seen.

1 Like

I think I’ve seen it pop up on YouTube, I’ll have to check it out!

I just added a few Titles to my “Watch List”

Thanks

Night of the Serpeant is one of my favorite Spaghetti Westerns of all time. I went in expecting a standard film, but was pleasantly surprised at how well done it was.

1 Like

Vengeance is Mine is one. $10,000 Blood Money is one of my favourites now but I wasn’t a lover of it first time I saw it so I didn’t expect much from it’s sister film. It went straight into my top 12 though and it’s been there ever since. The Price of Power is probably the biggest. Because it wasn’t one of the main non-Leone spaghetti’s I thought it would just be decent but I think it’s one of the greatest westerns ever made, spaghetti or otherwise. Dead Men Ride too, I also thought that’d be run of the mill but is another one of my favourites without doubt.

4 Likes

Yeah! Great hearing the enthusiasm :smiley:

It was the same for me. First time I watched it, I thought it was watchable but nothing special. The second time I watched it, I thought it was outstanding.

1 Like

I know what you mean, I’ve just posted my new Alt. Top 20 and it came in at fourth. Before my second viewing I doubt it was in my top 90.

$10,000 Blood Money
[[Most of this is copied from another thread I Posted on Same Subject]]

IMO No way this is in Top 20 or Alt Top 20

My problem with Django (in This Movie) is that he’s not on a Mission of Revenge
Django to Me is All About His mission of Revenge. To me Django would Never be a Bounty Hunter Especially One Only After the Highest Bounties
Also the fact that he Throws in with the Villains

Never a Fan of the Stockholm Syndrome plots used in movies
If I was Raped I Would Only Hate and Despise My Rapist

One Thing I Surely didn’t Understand was
In the Cave they Find the Gold Bars
Then We are lead to Believe that Django Scared the Villains Horses Away Leaving them Stranded
They Decide to Bury the Gold and Strike Out on Foot and Go Back for the Gold Later
So why is it that when Stardust (Fernando Sancho) and Manuel Recapture Django, Stardust says “we will make him talk” as if they don’t know where they Buried the Gold (That’s a Head Scratcher)

Suffice it to say, not a fan of this SW

Well, the original Django was also in it for the money. He didn’t look too happy when the gold went into the quicksand, did he?
Also, once Manuel kills Mijanou, revenge is all Django cares about in $10,000 Blood Money.
How many times have you watched it? It gets better the more times you see it. I think it’s a very stylish film that manages to make a somewhat simple plot into something that is far above the majority of spaghettis.

He had no revenge motive until that point
It was all about Greed up till then

I’ve seen it 3 times over I would guess a 23ish year period And I always feel the same way
Most recent viewing was two weeks ago

Honestly only reason I watched it recently was this site. I thought let me give it another chance since I haven’t seen it since around 2005ish and a lot of folks here rank it so high

It’s just isn’t Django to me and not a SW that I’m fond of :man_shrugging:

At first I preferred $100,000 for a Killing, but after repeat viewings I think I prefer this.

In the end Django is just a name, that’s why everybody could use the name in SW-land, no copyright for that (like for James Bond).
$10,000 Blood Money isn’t for me Django either, not in the sense that it is a sequel to the Corbucci film. When I watch Prepare a Coffin I automatically think about Corbucci’s Django, even if that is also not a “real Django”, there is no other real Django for me, but still several of the follow up Djangos are at least try to stay in the tradition of the Corbucci film.

But when I watch $10,000 Blood Money I never think about the Corbucci one, this is just a guy who happens to use the same name, but he’s just too different in his looks.

Well, apart from the unlucky use of the Django mythos, this is for me too a very fine Spag, not in my top 20, but damn close, if not to say fuckin close.

The real spaggish twin brother of $10,000 Blood Money is not Django, but it is of course $100,000 for a Killing, the film I think about when watching $10,000 Blood Money. Only that $100,000 for a Killing is only half as good, just like Prepare a Coffin is only half as good as the real Django.

It seems that 100,000 $ is just too much inflation …

2 Likes

This past Spagvember Fest I was really surprised by how good the Bob Henry & George Wang version of A Colt in the Hand of the Devil was. It’s definitely a ‘B’ film, but the production values are still very good and George Wang offers up a solid main antagonist performance. And it’s just a plain good ole’ action entertainment.

1 Like