Sukiyaki Western Django (Miike 2007)

I enjoyed it very much. And there is a great suprise at the end, you’ll see by yourself :D.

I originally watched this as the original Japanese cut of the film, and found myself very bored towards the mid-section of the film and it was definitely overlong…

I ended up buying the US re-cut version, and enjoy it much more now. Usually I won’t have anything to do with a cut version, but this one really is better and according to what I’ve read, Miike recut it himself also thinking it needed to bet cut down

Me to. Just reading up on this film as going to view soon.

Having non-English speakers recite lines phonetically in English, with the rhythm of the words misplaced all over the place, makes for excruciating listening. I had to watch it with subtitles just to figure out some of the dialogue. Can’t understand why they didn’t shoot it in Japanese (except then it would leave QT struggling, but his performance was pretty bizarre in this anyway).

I thought the Japlish was fun, especially the ‘Are you whistling Dixie’ line
But I know what you mean, it was very distracting and (I think I said something about this in my review) it made it difficult for me to judge performances. I activated the subtitles of the DVD too, but when I saw it for the first time, on a film festival, it was without subs and I remember I didn’t get some of the dialogue either.

Here’s the review:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Sukiyaki_Western_Django_Review

You’re pseudo here is Sanjuro, and I spotted some Japanese (?) under you avatar, so if you speak Japanese, or are an expert on Japan, and find some mistakes, please let me know

Heehee, no, I only know a few basic words & phrases & can’t read Japanese script at all. It’s just copy-pasted from somewhere.

I pretty much agree with your review of SWD. The movie’s enjoyable, for the most part, but vacuous. In fact, I’ve felt this with the other “Eastern Westerns” I’ve seen, although they’re all from different countries - Peace Hotel (Hong Kong), Tears of the Black Tiger (Thai), The Good the Bad and the Weird (Korean). They’re all worth seeing, but don’t quite hang together well enough to be as good as I’d like them to be.

started watching it the other week, but stopped at the rape scene… miike is a bit too harsh for me, will resum watching some other day

Recently watched the blu ray disc of “Sukiyaki Western Django” and i was pleasantly suprised by Miike´s SW hommage. The movie is of course heavily influenced by Corbucci´s “Django” and Leone´s “Fistul of Dollars” but Miike definitly put his own the stamp on the picture.

I loved the typical black Miike humor at times and the outrageous costumes the gangs wore. It feels like a spaghetti western yet it does have it´s own style and look. The action scenes were superb but of course i wouldn´t expect anything else from Miike. QT´s cameo was funny but was luckily kept to a minimum since he isn´t the best actor around. Some of the english dialogue was somewhat stiff but the subtitles helped me out whenever needed.

Oh yeah, i watched the american cut of the movie which is a good 30 minutes shorter than the original japanese cut by Miike. But i´ve heard that the japanese cut feels overly long so the shorter American cut might be the better alternative in this case. I still have the japanse cut on a thai DVD maybe i´ll watch it sometime to see what exactly is missing from the US cut. All in all i found “Sukiyaki Western Django” to be a great hommage to the SW genre and all round entertaining movie.

Stopped watching the other week as could not understand what was being said on the english audio track because of the heavy accents, and no english subtitles on my version.

Any opinions out there on this one? Just got the Blu-Rey, haven’t see it yet…

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Sukiyaki_Western_Django_Review

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,504.0.html

Threads merged.