Suggestions for the Blog/the SWDb

Hello all,

Originally I intended to let my introduction be the gateway for suggestions regarding Spaghetti Western/Italian Westerns, but I then realized a Town Hall post would be easier and allow for a wide range of ideas. To give everyone a starting point, I’m planning on reviews of 1000 Dollari sul Nero (1,000 on the Black/Sartana), Una Nuvola di Polvere… un Grido di Morte… Arriva Sartana (A Cloud of Dust…A Cry of Death…Sartana is Coming/Light the Fuse…Sartana is Coming), Ammazzali Tutti e Torna Solo (Kill Them All and Come Back Alone), Ocaso de un Pistolero (Hands of a Gunfighter), La Morte non Conti i Dollari (The Dead Don’t Settle Money/Death at Owell Rock), and Jonathan Delgi Orsi (Jonathan of the Bears). Please try to think of SW’s that maybe are only known to the bulk of this Community and deserve a wider viewing audience. For the moment I’d like to focus on Italian and Spanish Westerns, as while I’m curious about the German ones, especially the Winnetou series with Pierre Brice, my German is non-existent and I’d like time to try to get the basics of the language down. I know Italian fairly well, so I can watch a Blu Ray or DVD with no English option. I’ll pin something in the comments at a later date should my German improve. Feel free to suggest multiple films if you wish, repeat suggestions are welcomed as I know I’ll forget someone’s mentioning of a title later on, though I’ll check here as often as possible. Have fun with this one everybody!!!

the newer generation Karl May movies on German BluRays should have English audio (most of them at leat, according to Amazon)

Thanks for the suggestion Admin Sebastian. I’m pretty good with Italian, French, and some Spanish, so I can view films in those languages fine if translated English subtitles are not an option. I have a fair idea of German, but it’s a little tougher to get a good grasp of. I tend to prefer the original language over dubbing, but as long as it doesn’t sound artificial and the actors are into what they’re looping over, dubbing’s OK. I’ve got nothing against dubbing, I just found I like original language options better.

Totally agree, although especially with spaghetti westens, all of them are dubbed, as they were filmed without sound. Let’s see what some of the others have to suggest in regards to your original question

Sure, but there still is an original version, the one which has the sound and the dialogues as they were intended, and that is in most cases the Italian one. It doesn’t make for that a difference if on set dialogues and noises were used or not. Normally also all films which use original sound from the set also have an arranged audiotrack, with added noises, changed noises, even re-dubbed dialogues etc

This also goes for the Leone films, for which the Italian version is the one which counts.

Hello Stanton, and thanks 4 commenting. Yes, Leone’s films are a fine example. I imagine we’d all be surprised if what the actors were actually saying during the shooting was documented :wink: Gordon Mitchell commented once that during his first Peplum film he was reciting bawdy poetry because he didn’t know the script was in Italian. I do hope I didn’t totally detract from what I originally intended this post to be. Is there a film you’d like to see me review for my blog Stanton? All suggestions are welcomed.

Hello SW Community,

I thought I’d try something interesting to get the ball rolling for suggestions. Here’s the films I was planning on watching in February when I start a new season of Western Wednesdays on Movie Fan Man: Cinema Connoisseur,

1000 Dollari sul Nero (1,000 on the Black/Sartana)
Una Nuvola di Polvere… un Grido di Morte… Arriva Sartana (A Cloud of Dust…A Cry of Death…Sartana is Coming/Light the Fuse…Sartana is Coming)
Ammazzali Tutti e Torna Solo (Kill Them All and Come Back Alone),
Ocaso de un Pistolero (Hands of a Gunfighter)
La Morte non Conti i Dollari (The Dead Don’t Settle Money/Death at Owell Rock)
Jonathan Delgi Orsi (Jonathan of the Bears)

Now to make this a little more fun, you all in the SW Community have the choice of either listing the films in order of what to review first to last, or which film or films you’d like to see me talk about the most and leave any others for later on. If anyone likes, I can also do a compare/contrast look at the Arrow Video and Blue Underground Versions of Django (I pre-ordered mine and got it before the current rights snafu) and The German Mediabook and Film Movement Blu Rays of Il Grande Silenzio. Just put your choices in the reply comments and have fun. Hope this gets the suggestions rolling. .

1 Like