Stewart Granger

[quote=“R-T-C Tim, post:20, topic:818”]I love the ‘Old Surehand’ films, they were much darker than the near-epic Shatterhand films.

I have the German boxset, with ‘The Oil Price’ sadly lacking English subs/dubs. Still, the other two films look good - my reviews of the [b]Old Surehand films[url]http://mondo-esoterica.net/boxsets/Karl%20May%202.html[/url][/b].[/quote]

Excellent reviews Tim , you capture the high quality entertainment of all these
STEWART GRANGER Old Surehand Westerns with superb photos/text/analysis. :smiley:

[quote=“R-T-C Tim, post:20, topic:818”]I love the ‘Old Surehand’ films, they were much darker than the near-epic Shatterhand films.

I have the German boxset, with ‘The Oil Price’ sadly lacking English subs/dubs. Still, the other two films look good - my reviews of the [b]Old Surehand films[url]http://mondo-esoterica.net/boxsets/Karl%20May%202.html[/url][/b].[/quote]

Interesting reviews Tim.
My favourite is Under Vultures. I thought the story is more involving than in Chapter One.
I haven’t seen The Oil Prince. I saw both Surehand movies on television, not so long ago.

I LOVE immensely and treasure deeply all 3 STEWART GRANGER Old Surehand Films

But I should say also that I am a GREAT Fan/Admirer of LEX BARKER and his Films.

All the Winnetou Films based on the great Karl May’s novels were epic, classic, wonderful
and I have the German GREEN BOX SETS, which have superb picture/audio and extras. :smiley:

As someone else had mentioned in this forum, these films were part of my childhood, but i can’t watch them any more.

I have watched The Treasure of the Silver Lake last year, and despite noticing the elegance of Reinl’s operatic style and his enthusiasm for making a western, I was mainly bored, because of the simplicity of plot and dialogue, not to mention the John Ford like flat humour.

But it’s wrong to call these films B-pictures. At least the 1st half of the series had relatively high budgets with spectacular action scenes and simple looking but lovely made sets. As far as I remember some of the later had a much cheaper look.

And in the beginning they had a tremendeous success. The Treasure of the Silver Lake had about 26 million spectators in West Germany alone. (Titanic about 18 millions, LotR 10- 12 millions, but in the reunited country).

[quote=“stanton, post:24, topic:818”]As someone else had mentioned in this forum, these films were part of my childhood, but i can’t watch them any more.

I have watched The Treasure of the Silver Lake last year, and despite noticing the elegance of Reinl’s operatic style and his enthusiasm for making a western, I was mainly bored, because of the simplicity of plot and dialogue, not to mention the John Ford like flat humour.

But it’s wrong to call these films B-pictures. At least the 1st half of the series had relatively high budgets with spectacular action scenes and simple looking but lovely made sets. As far as I remember some of the later had a much cheaper look.

And in the beginning they had a tremendeous success. The Treasure of the Silver Lake had about 26 million spectators in West Germany alone. (Titanic about 18 millions, LotR 10- 12 millions, but in the reunited country).[/quote]

Personally I find that the simply made/original 1960s CULT CLASSICS are timeless, great
and forever watchable. I say that bearing in mind the number of “recent rubbish” big
budget, mega special effects , no characterisation Films that cost millions of Dollars and
are totally empty, unwatchable, dull and forgettable. That makes me extremely happy
and appreciative of the 1950s/1960s/1970s Westerns/Giallos/Thrillers/Horror and time-
less screen legends like STEWART GRANGER / CLINT EASTWOOD / AUDIE MURPHY
I also LOVE THE ACTORS and ACTRESSES and a man like ANTHONY STEFFEN who has made 25 SWs as leading man, has my maximum respect and total admiration.
When you are privileged to see a WINNETOU Film with Stewart Granger or Lex Barker
that is a cinematic experience, a time in history a real classic/cult/memory. :o :smiley:
HARALD REINL is one of the all time greatest world cinema directors, I looked
at his directing credits and was amazed at the magnificent westerns/thrillers/giallos :smiley:

I am also very impressed with :

JOAQUIM FUCHSBERGER Top Class German Actor in Edgar Wallace, Westerns, Giallos , Tv Series and numerous other Cult Films/TV.

ALFRED VOHRER Prolific German Director of Westerns, Thrillers, Adventures, Giallos.

Both the above were connected with Stewart Granger/Winnetou and numerous top films.

Joachim, he wasn’t from Spain

Right, I’ve even seen Heimatfilme with our Joachim, wenn ich mich nicht irre, hi hi.
Immer wieder die Radfahrer etc.

Ha, ha great!!!

Are you 2 lovely boys trying to tell me that his name is actually :

JOACHIM FUCHSBERGER :smiley:

Well I am glad I got the surname right as that could have been “tricky” with a K :wink:

STEWART GRANGER Romantic 1950s Pose With PIER ANGELI "Light Touch 1951

LAST SAFARI 1967 STEWART GRANGER Gabriella Licudi Kaz Garas

Directed By : Henry Hathaway

Can this Classic Adventure Film by Hathaway be considered a WESTERN ?

LAST SAFARI 1967 STEWART GRANGER GABRIELLA LICUDI ACTION ADVENTURE