Starblack (Giovanni Grimaldi, 1966)

No, I donā€™t think there is any similarity, apart from being westerns.

I donā€™t like this one at all. Iā€™ve seen far worse, but this was by no means remotely decent in my opinion. It seems to play like a slightly more violent American TV Western with almost fumetti/comic book type hero. I like many of Robert Woods film, but this one is at the bottom of the barrel.

I found it average. I donā€™t remeber much about it right now, but i recall that i thought it needed a better directing.

Iā€™ve just written a review of this one on my blog site. For those who are interested, hereā€™s the link:

Very nice, more or less my feelings too

An odd, very odd but well-directed movie
Donā€™t think weā€™ll ever see a first-rate release of this, but a few positive reviews might help (you neverrr know)

On this one we can all 3 agree.

A proper DVD release? Why not?
There are enough SWs meanwhile, which have seen the DVD light of day, on which we wouldnā€™t have placed a bet.

The soundtrack did get a nice CD release and yes the track where Woods sings a number is on the CD :smiley: .

Watch this one today. The scenes where Woods sings are ridiculous. Despite that, the Zorro feeling of this character got my attention till the last minute.

custom cover:

Thanks Bill ā€¦like the background colour you used on that one.

[quote=ā€œBill san Antonio, post:29, topic:1403ā€]custom cover:

[/quote]

Great work.
Thanks for the effort.

Great cover! I finally got a copy to watch, and I enjoyed it. Woods singing was a surprise. Also, the body count was ridiculously high.

I really enjoyed Starblack.

The fight scene around 1hr4mn sits up with the best choreographed/directed/executed Iā€™ve seen in the genre, and Iā€™d say the same thing about most of the action in this one. Really well handled stuff here in the action sequences.

Would definitely love to see a better quality version of this pop up.

Nice job on that cover Bill and thanks for sharing it here.

Agree with the bit in scherpā€™s review about the posters- they really are among the best. Iā€™d never seen the one with the hat/gun/knife-hand, and I like it about as much as the other. I like them so much I may have to track one down for my wall.

Screenies:

VHS

Great cover!

yeah, pretty good for a VHS

If anyone should happen to come across any sources for a better quality print of this film, of any type, please let me know!

[quote=ā€œautephex, post:36, topic:1403ā€]yeah, pretty good for a VHS

If anyone should happen to come across any sources for a better quality print of this film, of any type, please let me know![/quote]

Funnily enough, Iā€™m on a hunt for any other Son of Zorro and Starblack tapes, super 8ā€™s, TV showings etc. Iā€™ll keep my eyes and ears open.

Iā€™ve found some German Super8 copies for sell and almost jumped on them, but they are black and white and not a step up quality-wise from the VHS transfer. I did just find a seller in Italy with a TV recording on DVD, but the screnshots donā€™t look much better either. May go ahead and purchase depending on priceā€¦ if its too much, probably wonā€™t bother since it looks about the same

Although it does include the Italian audio track

If the quality is any better, a fan dub could be made using the English language VHS source and the dvd.

Yeah, thatā€™s no problem. I was just mentioning the Italian track because then it could be added as a second audio track, and its always nice to have the Italian audio as an option

Quality doesnā€™t look to be all that better though. Maybe worse, hard to tell from these shots. Would really need to see the moving video