Squibs

There have been far more ridiculess topics than this, and this subject fascinates me. I’d say 95% of spaghettis don’t use squibs and that is part of the cheapness that gives them there charm. However, realism is also a breath of fresh air. I get frusterated sometimes when I see a bad guy get shot 100 times with not a scratch on him. What are some of the earliest uses of spaghetti squibs and the most copius use of squibs?

The only thing that comes to mind is “VIVA SABATA” in 71’ I think.
There are quite a few after that year.

The lack of squibs in these movies doesn’t usually bother me but there are some instances that it really urks me.
For example in GIU LA TESTA. The main villain is riddled with bullets from a machine gun. The camera lingers on his dead corpse and we get not ONE drop of blood on his coat.

There is some blood in Companeros when Yod mowes down Mongo’s men with his machine-gun, close-up scenes too.

Many times though I think it doesn’t matter that they didn’t use squibs in SWs, since we see people fall quickly to the ground from afar.

One instance that comes to mind when it looked unrealistic is when Indio shoots Peter Lee Lawrence, in the flashback in FAFDM, you know in the bedroom at point blank range.

Well… it’s not an early example, but Four of the apocalypse is pretty bloody in the beginning.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:3, topic:1257”]There is some blood in Companeros when Yod mowes down Mongo’s men with his machine-gun, close-up scenes too.

Many times though I think it doesn’t matter that they didn’t use squibs in SWs, since we see people fall quickly to the ground from afar.

One instance that comes to mind when it looked unrealistic is when Indio shoots Peter Lee Lawrence, in the flashback in FAFDM, you know in the bedroom at point blank range.[/quote]That is the exactly the scene I thought of.

Mannaja uses squibs about every person shot which is one of the reason’s I like the film. It seems, however, that squib use today is far less mesmerizing since they are used in every fiilm with gunfire. Don’t get me wrong, not every squibless shot bothers me it is just times like the scene in Giu la testa and FAFDM that really get to me.

I was also surprised about the squib in Get Mean. It is probobly the biggest squib I’ve ever seen. I was dissapointed Tex and the Lord of the Deep didn’t use any even if it was a TV western.

There is some squibs used in Black Jack when Jack gets crippled by the bad guys.

There’s one scene featuring squibs in “Brothers Blue”

You do occasionally see blood squibs in mid-Sixties SWs. I don’t have any notes here but I’m almost certain there are some in Arizona Colt and Long Days of Vengeance, for starters.

There are some squibs used in Arizona Colt, yes. The film met with censorship problems for this reason, both home (Italy) and abroad. A scene with one of the prisoners, an old man wearing glasses, shot in the forehead was removed from the international version. The scene in which Gemma is shot through both hands and feet was slightly cut. Oddly enough a similar scene, with Sancho being shot (by Gemma) in his knees, is longer and more graphic in the international version than in the Italian version.