SpagvemberFest!

DAY 5

Killer Adios (Zeglio / 1968)

Another whodunnit and this one far more effective than Killer Calibro 32 in it’s ability to keep you guessing. PLL returns to his hometown and has to overcome his attachment to an old flame, a tendency to act without thinking and a tricky mystery all while giving the impression that he really could beat up Nello Pazzafini if it came down to it.

A genuinely enjoyable flick this one and one of my favourite PLL outings.

2 Likes

Spagvember#7 Civirani: Son of Django
-Another from WE double. Eh, what a bore. Not really that bad I just didn’tf find anything interesting in it. This film must have the longest beating scene in any sw, after minutes and minutes when you think it’s finally over it just starts all over again. 3/10

1 Like

DAY 6

Awkward Hands (R.R. Marchent / 1970)

An episodic but entertaining outing for the Pllster as he transforms from love-struck pacifist with a tragic past to a clinical killer with an uncertain future. This is a story which leaves lots of unanswered questions which is something I always appreciate and is ultimately full of broken and tarnished characters which is also more than welcome. Not sure what the character of Latimore was all about and the Chinese master who is a gun master rather than a martial arts one is a strange choice but all in all a solid little mid tier spag which turned out to better than I remembered it.

1 Like
  1. I’ll die for Vengeance
    Release Date: 10.3.1968

PNG

So, somebody here has helped me out with this one, and also with another one scheduled for this Spagvember; Shadow of Sartana… Shadow of Your Death. Today I thought I was in for a Fidani, but I wasn’t. Seems I got the wrong impression from another film wrongfully named Sapevano solo uccidere on the You Tube, a film that turned out to be …e vennero in quattro per uccidere Sartana! , a 1969 Fidani. As for Shadow of Sartana… Shadow of Your Death, it is listed at as 1968 release on the SWdb’s browse all page, but actually it was released in 1969 as well. So it has to wait! But it seems I still might be in for a Fidani later this month!

2 Likes

Day 7

One Against One…No Mercy (R.R.Marchent / 1968)

Scherps’ brief synopses probably sums this one up well enough.

Peter Lee Lawrence is a young man who wants to clear his father’s name. He is helped (or thwarted?) by a Mexican who used to work for the old man. A mildly entertaining hodgepodge of a movie, offering a mix of comedy and violence

Spoletini steals the show for me but PLL is fine in his role too. marchent definitely seems to be channeling Leone in some spots. the end is lifted almost verbatim from TGTBATU.

3 Likes

DAY 8
Now, I like Sabata. It’s no world-beater but it’s fairly goofy fun. And I’ve always had a soft spot for Adios, Sabata. Yul Brynner should’ve made more spags, and so should his tassled jacket. But I don’t recall caring for today’s movie, Return of Sabata (Parolini, 1971), at all. But can it be as bad as all that, really? The ingredients are basically right. Maybe I’ve misjudged it. I can’t honestly say I remember much about it beyond not rating it. But reappraising a movie or two is what SpagvemberFest is for! That, and having an excuse to charge up and down the stairs in just my undercrackers, cowboy boots and hat. Yee-haa!

2 Likes

Did it?

Sort-of, yes. I liked it quite a bit better than I remembered it. Did the blu-ray presentation help? Almost certainly, but even laying that aside it was a decent picture. Not a top-tier one by any means, not even close, but not a clunker by any means either. :+1:

1 Like

Ricardo Blasco’s Gringo, released on September 19, 2 BL, three months before JLRM’s El sabor de la venganza, tells a straightforward revenge story: Ricardo “Gringo” Martínez (Richard Harrison) versus the men who killed his Mexican adoptive father. Solid and uninspired. A pastiche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmc4vhaI8-I

“A Gringo like Me” (written by Dan Savio [Ennio Morricone], interpreted by Dicky Jones [Peter Tevis]), nice music, horrible lyrics:

Keep your hand on your gun
Don’t you trust anyone
There’s just one kind of man that you can trust
That’s a dead man or a gringo like me

Be the first one to fire
Every man is a liar
There’s just one kind of man who tells the truth

Don’t be a fool for a smile or a kiss
Or your bullet might miss
Keep your eye on your goal [or maybe gold?]
There’s just one rule that can save you your life
It’s a hand on your knife and a devil [?] in your soul

Don’t you trust anyone

Don’t you trust anyone
Or a gringo like me
Or a gringo like me
Like me

2 Likes

Spagvember#8 Florio:Dead Men Ride
-Cool film that borrows a thing or two from Fistful of Dollars. I like the structure of the film where the flashbacks are small snippets here and there and keep you wondering what is it all about. One of the best sw from seventies but is kinda unknown I think or at least it’s not that often mentioned in the best of-lists and such. 8/10

1 Like

Watched it too, working on a review right now. I didn’t like this structure. Too enigmatic most of the time and too many revelations near the end

Antes llega la muerte (“first comes death”), released on the same day as Sergio Leone’s Per un pugno di dollari, September 12, 1 BL, is Joaquín Luis Romero Marchent’s most complex and involving Western so far: “Epic in structure but intimate in scope, the film concerns a journey of compassion rather than discovery […]” (Kevin Grant, Any Gun Can Play, p. 48). Scherpschutter’s review of Antes llega la muerte is excellent and provides a lot of background information. I had to watch the Spanish dubbed version, meaning I didn’t get all of the dialogue (to put it euphemistically); will rewatch the film as soon as the Dorado Films Blu-ray is out.

Desperately trying to catch up – I’m still three days behind.

1 Like

I read the title as ‘Before Death Arrived’ which seems more in keeping with the idea of the female character’s terminal illness … a very good early SW, and as a matter of trivia, how many times does actress Gloria Milland wear the same green dress in the various Marchent westerns … 3, I think ?

1 Like

I’m not sure. Wouldn’t that have to be “antes que llegara la muerte”? Subjunctive present tense: “antes que llegue la muerte”? In any case, “llega” is present tense.

Without a doubt, her favorite dress.

1 Like
  1. Today It’s Me… Tomorrow It’s You!
    Release Date: 28.3.1968

PNG

Holds its ground with me as an average spag that gains from its style, cast and cinematography. 6/10

2 Likes

Just meant that as a comfortable translation from Spanish to English, Antes is Before, rather than first in this instance - llega as arrive or came … you could say in English, ‘Before Death Came’, but would never say ‘Before Death Arrive’ - If the title read as ‘First Came Death’ or ‘First Comes Death’ it suggests that Gloria’s character is already off to heaven before the story gets going :smiley:

1 Like

Stop hoping for help from above and get your priorities right!

1 Like

Fantastic pair of spags right there. :+1:

I read it too as Before Death arrived, but I’m not an expert of the Spanish language. In French you would indeed have (in a similar construction) a subjunctive: avant que la mort n’arrive (the n is a so-called n explétif, typical for French). Maybe we should ask a native speaker

vlcsnap-2018-11-07-17h06m15s028

ANDA Muchacho, SPARA! (1971, Florio)

I had watched Dead Men Ride before, but not yet officially reviewed the movie (I wrote down a few impressions in the first post of the movie’s thread

I still have mixed feelings about it, mainly because i’m still struggling with the film’s structure. But others have been more positive about this flashback-driven script. I therefore raised the rating of the movie from the original *** stars to ***⅓ :wink:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dead_Men_Ride_(Anda_Muchacho,_Spara!)_Review

1 Like