SpagvemberFest!

Did it?

Sort-of, yes. I liked it quite a bit better than I remembered it. Did the blu-ray presentation help? Almost certainly, but even laying that aside it was a decent picture. Not a top-tier one by any means, not even close, but not a clunker by any means either. :+1:

1 Like

Ricardo Blasco’s Gringo, released on September 19, 2 BL, three months before JLRM’s El sabor de la venganza, tells a straightforward revenge story: Ricardo “Gringo” Martínez (Richard Harrison) versus the men who killed his Mexican adoptive father. Solid and uninspired. A pastiche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmc4vhaI8-I

“A Gringo like Me” (written by Dan Savio [Ennio Morricone], interpreted by Dicky Jones [Peter Tevis]), nice music, horrible lyrics:

Keep your hand on your gun
Don’t you trust anyone
There’s just one kind of man that you can trust
That’s a dead man or a gringo like me

Be the first one to fire
Every man is a liar
There’s just one kind of man who tells the truth

Don’t be a fool for a smile or a kiss
Or your bullet might miss
Keep your eye on your goal [or maybe gold?]
There’s just one rule that can save you your life
It’s a hand on your knife and a devil [?] in your soul

Don’t you trust anyone

Don’t you trust anyone
Or a gringo like me
Or a gringo like me
Like me

2 Likes

Spagvember#8 Florio:Dead Men Ride
-Cool film that borrows a thing or two from Fistful of Dollars. I like the structure of the film where the flashbacks are small snippets here and there and keep you wondering what is it all about. One of the best sw from seventies but is kinda unknown I think or at least it’s not that often mentioned in the best of-lists and such. 8/10

1 Like

Watched it too, working on a review right now. I didn’t like this structure. Too enigmatic most of the time and too many revelations near the end

Antes llega la muerte (“first comes death”), released on the same day as Sergio Leone’s Per un pugno di dollari, September 12, 1 BL, is Joaquín Luis Romero Marchent’s most complex and involving Western so far: “Epic in structure but intimate in scope, the film concerns a journey of compassion rather than discovery […]” (Kevin Grant, Any Gun Can Play, p. 48). Scherpschutter’s review of Antes llega la muerte is excellent and provides a lot of background information. I had to watch the Spanish dubbed version, meaning I didn’t get all of the dialogue (to put it euphemistically); will rewatch the film as soon as the Dorado Films Blu-ray is out.

Desperately trying to catch up – I’m still three days behind.

1 Like

I read the title as ‘Before Death Arrived’ which seems more in keeping with the idea of the female character’s terminal illness … a very good early SW, and as a matter of trivia, how many times does actress Gloria Milland wear the same green dress in the various Marchent westerns … 3, I think ?

1 Like

I’m not sure. Wouldn’t that have to be “antes que llegara la muerte”? Subjunctive present tense: “antes que llegue la muerte”? In any case, “llega” is present tense.

Without a doubt, her favorite dress.

1 Like
  1. Today It’s Me… Tomorrow It’s You!
    Release Date: 28.3.1968

PNG

Holds its ground with me as an average spag that gains from its style, cast and cinematography. 6/10

2 Likes

Just meant that as a comfortable translation from Spanish to English, Antes is Before, rather than first in this instance - llega as arrive or came … you could say in English, ‘Before Death Came’, but would never say ‘Before Death Arrive’ - If the title read as ‘First Came Death’ or ‘First Comes Death’ it suggests that Gloria’s character is already off to heaven before the story gets going :smiley:

1 Like

Stop hoping for help from above and get your priorities right!

1 Like

Fantastic pair of spags right there. :+1:

I read it too as Before Death arrived, but I’m not an expert of the Spanish language. In French you would indeed have (in a similar construction) a subjunctive: avant que la mort n’arrive (the n is a so-called n explétif, typical for French). Maybe we should ask a native speaker

vlcsnap-2018-11-07-17h06m15s028

ANDA Muchacho, SPARA! (1971, Florio)

I had watched Dead Men Ride before, but not yet officially reviewed the movie (I wrote down a few impressions in the first post of the movie’s thread

I still have mixed feelings about it, mainly because i’m still struggling with the film’s structure. But others have been more positive about this flashback-driven script. I therefore raised the rating of the movie from the original *** stars to ***⅓ :wink:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dead_Men_Ride_(Anda_Muchacho,_Spara!)_Review

1 Like

Day 8

A Gun for 100 Graves (Lenzi / 1968)

Another nice boy goes hard role for PLL. This time from Jehovah’s witness to revenge obsessed killer. As others have said, the transition from pacifist to cold blooded gunman with a lightening draw is laughably quick and as a result it’s difficult to really get engaged with his character or the story in general but the supporting cast is good, especially Piero Lulli, and the runtime of less than 90 minutes means it doesn’t wear out it’s welcome.

Also, it has to be said, the English dialogue in this is downright awful.

1 Like

DAY 9
Holy crazy camera angles, Batman! Today, it’s I am Sartana, Your Angel of Death (Carnimeo, 1969), a picture which always reminds me of the Caped Crusader’s camp-as-you-please TV show in terms of its presentation. It’s always a lot of fun though. A good Friday evening flick.

2 Likes
  1. Time and Place for Killing
    Release Date: 5.4.1968

tequilejoe

So far watching February and March releases, now moves on to April 1968. I’ve seen this one before. Didn’t think much of it then, and I’m afraid it didn’t change much with this second viewing.

1 Like

Spagvember #9. Baldi:Comin’ at Ya!
-It’s a film made to show off all these 3D gimmicks and doesn’t really work as a normal film. 4/10

2 Likes

Right. Since San Procrastinato hasn’t been supportive at all, I’ve decided to forsake pleading for help from above entirely. So there! – Released in January 1 AL, Aventuras del Oeste was Joaquín Luis Romero Marchent’s fourth Western (or eighth, depending on whether one wants to count his Coyote and Zorro movies as Westerns), his first with a German production company (Constantin Film) and, unfortunately, his worst up to that point in his career. A misbegotten hybrid of The Plainsman (1936) and Der Schatz im Silbersee (1962), Aventuras del Oeste is lacking in all departments: plot, dramaturgy, design, acting (Adrian Hoven as Wild Bill Hickok). For no apparent reason, the main characters – Buffalo Bill, W. B. Hickok and Calamity Jane – were renamed in the truncated German version.

Behind the green dress: Gloria Milland (in her third JLRM Western) plays Juanita Calamidad; so Helga Sommerfeld gets to wear Ms. Milland’s best dress.

Milland_Hoven Sommerfeld

2 Likes

Spagvember #10 Margheriti: And God Said to Cain
-Such a cool movie considering there’s hardly any plot. It’s all about the gothic atmosphere and Kinski 7/10

3 Likes