SpagvemberFest!

no 7. Damiani: A Bullet for the General (1966)
-I had not seen this excellent film for a while but re-watched it now from Koch’s blu. I think the film works in every aspect and Volonte is especially good in it but for some reason it has never been one of my big favorites. 8/10

Spagvemberfest 2016 Number 7

A bit more Sartana for me today. I remember this as being the best of the bunch. let’s see.

Bandidos

** for me today. My choice for ‘staff member favorite’

Haven’t seen it in a couple of years, so I wonder if it’ll still hold my full attention & fascination (after all it’s still in my Top 10)

Last night: I crudeli. Wrote a short essay (in German) on the film two years ago, quoting as its title – less inspired by Corbucci’s Western than the rather unpleasant end of a relationship doomed from the beginning – Federico Guglielmo Nice’s famous aphorism from his Al di là del bene e del male (Lipsia, 1886): “He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.” Today: Il grande silenzio.

I re-watched Bandidos during last year’s Spagvemberfest and it certainly held it’s place for me. If anything it got stronger.

no 8. La Loma: Boldest Job in the West (1972)
-Ah, I was afraid I wouldn’t like this film anymore as much as I did on the first time but I liked it maybe even more. Film has some problems in the script and the low budget shows here and there a bit too much but otherwise I just love it. I didn’t remember how the plot went so I was genuinely surprised while watching it. Fight in the end during snowing is well made and good looking scene. Fernando Sancho as a reluctant hero is just great, his Benny Hill-like face in the end is priceless. Not sure how to rate it though, maybe I’ll give it 8/10 just for the fact that I found myself enjoying it more than thought I would.

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2016 - A FISTFUL OF REAPPRAISALS: DAY 7

Tonight I’m going with Taste of Vengeance (Siciliano, 1968), the tale of a man - Gianni Garko - seeking vengeance for the murder of his fiancee but, predating Chris Nolan’s Memento by over thirty years, he has amnesia and can’t remember her killers, a problem which leads him to killing more and more innocents. I must confess to a degree of amnesia myself regarding this film; I can’t remember anything about it whatsoever, and had to look up its SWDB page just to knock out that brief synopsis. It sounds alright, though.

Spagvemberfest 2016 Number 8

The only Portmanteau Spaghetti Western I can think of and well due for a re-visit for me. Remember it fondly for the most part. I just need to get over the terrible english subtitles.

I bloody love Death Sentence, me. In fact just seeing Death Sentence - and Django Kill for that matter - mentioned here on this thread is making me want to hit the pair of them for a double-bill, entirely separate from SpagvemberFest. But will my wife tolerate an extra two spags in November? Is Donald Trump entirely sane and rational?

I’m ill!

Sore, swollen throat, chapped and split lips, coughing, bunged up, freezing cold, under a blanket (with my kitty-kat), full of paracetamol and feeling entirely sorry for myself. Man-flu really is a killer, gentlemen. Pray for old LC.

Now let’s inflict some Vengeance upon the family.

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2016 - A FISTFUL OF REAPPRAISALS: DAY 8

From yesterday’s Taste of Vengeance (not a bad film at all actually), I’m heading to Long Days of Vengeance (Vancini, 1966) starring Giuliano Gemma as a man totally absorbed by a furious head-cold, who decides to take it out on his wife and son by making them watch 50 year-old spaghetti westerns. Or something. Now excuse me, gentlemen; I need to suck on a Fisherman’s Friend. :skull:

Have seen both during the Spagvemberfest. They ended up with exactly the same points in my system, and both well inside my top 30.Tonight:

I had planned to watch Bandidos, Top 10 material for me, but ended up watching a completely different movie, Django Shoots First. I thought about the movie while watching “Some Dollars for Django” a couple of days ago. Both are early examples of so-called "Sotto-Django“, movies that were retitled to cash in on Corbucci’s success with his Django movie.

As said in the Some Dollars review, both „false" movies have an early scene in which the protagonist shows some kind of fraudulent behaviour, causing confusion about his identity. In Some Dollars, a man called Reagan (played by Anthony Steffen) ‚steals’ the identity of a sheriff, in this movie a man called Garvin (played by Dutch actor Glenn Saxson) kills the bounty hunter who’s in possession of his father’s dead body, and subsequently collects the bounty himself.

Django Shoots First still belongs to the early Italian western output and has its tongue firmly in cheek. This is a very enjoyable genre entry. Watch it if you haven’t yet.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_Shoots_First_Review

Much has been said and written about Il grande silenzio. My two cents: talking about actors and acting, I think it’s no minor accomplishment to convincingly portray characters in Rohmer’s Ma nuit chez Maud or Chabrol’s Les Biches and a gunfighter in Il grande silenzio. Viva Trintignant! Tonight: Il mercenario.

no 9. Corbucci: The Mercenary (1968)
-Another re-watching from the blu ray upgrade. I think I enjoyed the film more than I have ever before. If there was no Companeros it would probably be in my top20, now I feel like there’s no room for 2 such a similar films. There’s two kinds of people, Companeros people and Mercenary people. I just happen to be Companeros-one. 8/10

Gesundheit! And get well soon!

1 Like

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2016 - A FISTFUL OF REAPPRAISALS: DAY 9

Between the man-flu laying me low and the Armageddon the US electorate has just plunged us into, I’ll admit: I’m in no mood for a spag. On the other hand, maybe it’s just what I need to pick me up. So, I shall persist, with a third helping of vengeance: Man, Pride & Vengeance (Bazzoni, 1967), to be exact. Yep, today it’s The-Spag-That’s-Not-A-Spag starring a lovestruck Franco Nero and a manipulative Klaus Kinski. Well, it’s either that or watch The Dead Zone (Cronenberg, 1983) on a loop, from under a blanket, weeping.

WHAT! ‘Man Flu’!!

Is this the same ‘Last Caress’ that has kept up all on our toes with weekly servings of DVD entre…?

Whatever is wrong, buddy, keep your chin up…wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

1 Like

Sincerely wishing you a quick and healthy return…by the way…when you recover …'Look out for ‘BATMAN; RETURN OF THE CAPED CRUDASDERS’. on Bluuray

I,ve just bought it…looks brill!!

1 Like

Yeah, I watched it with my son on Sunday, it’s excellent. I shall be picking it up for myself for sure, but possibly not until after Christmas now; need to concentrate on prezzies, Xmas dinner items and associated seasonal foodstuffs, etc. etc. :slight_smile:

Tonight (like everybody else):