Spagvemberfest 2023 - or the crows will drink our beers

Even though I love Milian, I thought Musante was better in the role too.

3 Likes

I thought Welles did a fine job as a corrupt, sleazy, slothful Federale thug that his character is supposed to represent.

2 Likes

Spagvemberfest Day 23 - Film 13: If you want to liveā€¦shoot!

I have the same review I have had for all the other C and D tier spags Iā€™ve watched this spagvemberfest: itā€™s just boring. I sadly think Iā€™ve finally reached the point where I have watched almost every Amazing and Great spaghetti and now Iā€™m just left with the ones that are either just ā€˜alrightā€™ or completely boring and forgettable. There usually just enough to keep me mildly entertained but as soon as I turn the film off they usually just wipe from my brain completely as nothing really stood out. Hopefully, there are still a few zingers that will take me by surprise sometime in the future!

5/10

10 Likes

Degueyo (1965) - Director: Giuseppe Vari - 6/10.

Though the film at first fails to rivet in virtue of the initial one-dimensionality of the yarn and the slow pacing, the storyline considerably picks up following the retrieval of the Confederate officer and steadily improves until it reaches the climax which proves to be possibly one of the best things Vari ever directed. The lead-up to the final confrontation teems with cynicism and brutality, yet Vari is prudent enough not to show too much too early, so the way the story unfolds and is eventually resolved turns out classy as well as graceful and although it does not really break any new ground, it all feels natural and genuine. There arise some issues with pacing and general editing in the middle in that some scenes are either cut too short or are intercut with those which easily could have been dispensed with in order to aid the rhythm and focus.

Therefore, certain narrative flaws do come to light sporadically, but by and large, most of these defects abate by the time the showdown comes. Lastly, Dan Vadisā€™s enactment of the antagonist may very well make for one of the most fearsome portrayals of a villain in the genre in that he genuinely appears deranged and utterly psychopathic in the way he disposes of people standing in his way and does so with much gusto and alacrity; thus, he does not merely go through the motions, ticking the boxes so as to meet some arbitrary criteria of what this sort of role customarily calls for, he resolutely acts out the lunacy whilst forgoing histrionic paroxysms which further enhances the realism of his interpretation. While the movie is not without its faults and is rather tedious at the beginning, it subsequently improves and becomes very interesting and engaging in its own right.

12 Likes

I am watching Kid il monello del west right now. I really donā€™t know if I am going to make it through.

7 Likes

LOL ā€¦ if anyone can!

:joy:

4 Likes

I am only fifteen minutes in and I am already tired.

3 Likes

Day 23: Blood at Sundown (Why Go On Killing?) and Blood at Sundown ($1,000 on the Black), both rewatches

Thoughts:

Took a break yesterday so today I did a double feature of the two Anthony Steffen starring spaghettis that have an alternate title of Blood at Sundown. The 1965 Mulargia pic has always been a fairly average one for me, great atmosphere but itā€™s cut a bit too flat and a bit too serious at the same time for me. Now, the 1966 Cardone film, hell to the yes. Love this one. Maniacal Garko gloriously eating up the low budget scenery. Just amazing, great score too. Michele Lacerenza really could trumpet.

9 Likes

Day 23. Movie 17. Django.
A rewatch of am old favorite, since today is Thanksgiving here in America. Just as good and as thoroughly entertaining as I remember. Maybe Corbucciā€™s finest work, maybe? And am I the only one who feels bad about Nathanielā€™s fate at the end?

8 Likes

Iā€™ve tried to watch Kid, Terror of The West twice. Last time I could endure only 5 minutes.

3 Likes

Day 23: Vengeance (a.k.a. Roccoā€™s Revenge) (1968) D-Antonio Margheriti. Starring Richard Harrison, Claudio Camaso, Sheyla Rozin, and Alberto Dellā€™ Acqua. This SpagFest Iā€™ve been keeping an eye and ear out for movies Iā€™ve never heard about; or did, but have not yet watched. Iā€™ve not watched many of Richard Harrisonā€™s movies. So, when another member posted about Harrison in this darker genre entry, I was excited to watch. Harrison is Rocco, who is out for revenge against the banditos and anyone else responsible for the deaths of his friends Richie (Dellā€™ Acqua) and Mendoza (Camaso) while attempting to steal a cache of gold from an old Spanish fortress. Mendoza looks like a cross between a Vodun/Santeria priest and an alchemist, who walks around with a pouch of sulphur hanging around his neck. The elephant in the room is the beginning scene, which I wonā€™t describe here. I will only say that I would be surprised to meet someone who has no interest in watching the rest of ā€˜Vengeanceā€™ after seeing the beginning scene. Rating: 4/5

10 Likes

Day 24

Preparati la bara! - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Yesterday I went with a story of a man out to avenge the death of his wife so I thought I might as well do it again tonight. This one began a solid little three in a row spaghetti western run for director Ferdinando Baldi (followed by Hate Thy Neighbor and The Forgotten Pistolero) and it is a bit better than the second of the three but doesnā€™t hold a candle to the third.

It was originally slated to be Franco Nero in the staring role but he shuffled off to the U.S. to do Camelot so Baldi got this Terence Hill fellow who he had worked with just the year prior in the spaghetti western musical The Crazy Westerners aka Little Rita to fill the role.

Our villains are portrayed by the nearly always villainous Horst Frankā€¦

ā€¦and the sometimes villainous George Eastman.

All in all, not a bad way to ruminate after a huge Thanksgiving meal here in the U.S.

11 Likes

Spagvember Fest 2023 Day 23

Rewatch

Pistola per Ringo, Una - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

One of my all time favorites in the SW genre and the film I start the Christmas Season with. Thereā€™s not too much more I can say other than that I kinda feel like the premiere Ringo film doesnā€™t get the love the sequel does; itā€™s a fun release, has a stellar cast, and a good story. If youā€™re a fan of the Bruce Willis classic Die Hard, Iā€™m pretty sure youā€™d get a kick out of this film.

Giuliano Gemmaā€™s Ringo is a sort of double edged sword for me: some viewings his smart ass personality flows just fine for me, and other viewings Iā€™m waiting for someone to punch him in the mouth for running it so much, but it does mean Gemma was doing his job really well with portraying Ringo.

Nieves Navarro offers a stand out performance as Dolores, girlfriend to the bandit leader Sancho. Sheā€™s just a pure fine mixture of elegant femininity and toughness, able to draw and use weapons sometimes much better than her male counterparts, and also able to share tender moments with the adoring Major who wants to save her. It still guts me every viewing to see her get that knife in her back when she chooses the Major over Sancho and perplexes the hell out of me that Sancho didnā€™t ice the henchman who acted in haste.

Fernando Sanchoā€™s famous laughing and joking bandito got his start in this film, and kept one of our favorites in work for quite a good number of years.

Arrow Videoā€™s Blu Ray relese is top notch and while there are some scenes that couldnā€™t be as good looking as others, still look pretty dang good. Iā€™m very curious to see what Wicked Vision does with the 4K restoration and release.

That does it for me this Spagvember Fest, amigos and amigas, now I venture head first into my favorite time of year. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving who celebrated.

11 Likes
  1. Fulci: Massacre Time
    -George Hilton really steals the show as a drunken master of the West. One of my favorites, one I like to watch quite regularly. 8/10
10 Likes

I love him in Tepepa. I can also well imagine how he must have hated plodding through the desert in the blazing sun. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

8: Django (1966), directed by Sergio Corbucci

08_Django

After having worked with three US-American leading men ā€“ James Mitchum (Massacro al Grande Canyon, 1964), Cameron Mitchell (Minnesota Clay, 1964) and Mark Damon (Johnny Oro, 1966) ā€“ Corbucci cast an unknown Italian actor in the title role of his fourth Western: Francesco Sparanero. Together they created one of the two most iconic characters of the Spaghetti Western, who, unlike the other, is a man with a super-cool name that became emblematic of the entire subgenre.

Django is innovative, bold, loud, garish, subversive, irreverent, politically charged, technically rather sloppy, violent ā€“ and a little silly. Watched it for the umpteenth time last night, still like it. Django was released in Italy on April 6, 1966, and cinema audiences were without a doubt very pleased to see Django return to the big screen only five months later, on September 9, in the person of Anthony Steffen in Pochi dollari per Django. Or maybe not. In any case, a score of Westerns followed in Italy that either have Django in the title or whose main character is called Django. In German-speaking countries, practically every Italian Western was called Django something anyway.

I particularly liked the characters played by Loredana Nusciak and Silvana Bacci when I rewatched Django yesterday. The careers of both actresses never really took off, although they were in many, many films in the 1960s and 1970s. Bacci appeared in around twenty Westerns but unfortunately always in small supporting roles. And one of my personal favorites in Django is Ɓngel Ɓlvarez ā€“ the Spanish Hans Moser (a cultural reference that will not travel well abroad from German-speaking countries).

Next: Corbucciā€™s Il grande silenzio (1968).

11 Likes

Day 24:

Un genio, due compari, un pollo (A Genius, Two Friends and a Chicken)

aka, ā€˜A Genius, Two friends and a Dupeā€™ (1975)

When I first watched this film years ago, I knew of itā€™s reputation, so I wasnā€™t actually disappointed with it ā€¦ how bad can a film by Leone and Damiani be ?

Thereā€™s lots of info here at SWDB on the technical aspects of the filmā€™s inconsistent look (stolen original nagative) and use of outtakes and duping scenes (copying film without a negative) giving those clips a very dark heavy contrast and bad quality colour. Plus, Iā€™m watching a not so great DVD release by UK company Noveaux Pictures, which has a lot of interlacing /combing effects, more associated with NTSC video.

All this doesnā€™t help, but if it were a film with structure and a good script, those technical issues would become secondary in importance. I hate to say it, but this is a fairly lousy movie, which had potential, judging by some of the better scenes - For me the worse aspect is the dialogue ā€¦ itā€™s god awful incessant waffling on about ā€˜Sweet F.Aā€™ - I reckon if 70% of the script had been dumped, the filmmakers might have stood a chance of producing something fairly entertaining.

Special mention and not in a good way for Morriconeā€™s soundtrack - ā€˜Comedy musicā€™ in an unfunny film doesnā€™t work, it forces the issue and really grates when itā€™s obvious thereā€™s no on screen laughs, and that Ennio, was not a man noted for his sense of humour, surely doesnā€™t help - The main theme reminds me of a 1960s style, off on a shopping trip to swinging London with oneā€™s best friend, ditching their dowdy duds in favour of mini dresses and bright red plastic rain coats !!! Fab for that type of scene, but itā€™s pure shite for a western film.

ā€¦ by way of trivia, I noticed that bad guy character ā€˜Jelly Rollā€™ (yes, that means vagina) is now listed as ā€˜Jacky Rollā€™ on both IMDB and rotten tomatoes

:wink: Patrick McGoohan dubs himself with a very odd choice of mannered accent ā€¦ and his voice is also used for Klaus Kinski, Mario Brega and few other characters in the English version ā€¦ and it stands out like a sore thumb.

I really wanted to like this movie, but itā€™s simply a long winded mess.

4/10

10 Likes

Spagvemberfest 2023

Number 18

Vengeance Trail (Squitieri / 1971)

An early start today so got to watch a proper western before starting work. Having watched Sartana in the Valley of Death earlier in the month I thought Iā€™d complete the set of Ce la Vie releases. So next up was this one which I remembered fondly and it didnā€™t disappoint. A nice and bitter slice of spaghetti from a year when Trinity was king and things were mostly turning to comedy. Leonard Mann works well as the embittered young fella seeking revenge in the wrong places and Ivan Rassimov is good in one of his villainous roles despite his horrible english dubbed voice. This was just what I needed before a couple more questionable ones which will inevitably accompany my work day.

7 Likes

However, thereā€™s this nice telegram he sent Petroni after the filming of Tepepa. Whether it was sincere or just a habit or politeness or maybe just the act of an artist in need trying to keep all doors open for potential future projects, I donā€™t know. I thought it was remarkable.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t there a story that Orson stole film stock from the ā€˜Tepepaā€™ production ā€¦ and cleared off unceremoniously on his last contracted day - I think this was from a Tomas Milian interview

2 Likes